Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

New to hobby and New Engines!

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2817 times

Old 07-20-2005, 10:44:50 AM
Registered-I

Default New to hobby and New Engines!

Hi everyone,

I just picked up 2 engines that have been in my family for many years, they have been sitting in a barn for 20 years that I am aware of. I have always been fascinated by these engines, but never took the time to get involved in the hobby, beyond looking at the engines for hours at shows. Now that I got these 2 engines and they even have some family history, I am afraid I am going to be hooked!

From the tag on the first engine: Sattley, Montgomery Ward Co., Serial 75643, 1-1/2 HP, Speed 550. The engine has a Wico magneto. It turns and has SPARK!!

Questions:

1. It has no spark plug, can you guys help me with what it should have, and a source for same.

2. There is no fuel tank that I can find, on the front of the head, below the valves, there is what appears to be an air intake? and what appears to be a fuel intake with a metering valve?? How do I know what it takes for fuel? I assume gas?

3. It is missing the oiler, I am assuming that any oiler that screws on will suffice?

Any sources of books or parts that will help me learn about these engines and get parts would be helpful.

The second engine:
From the label:
The Maynard, The Charles William Storing Company, New York, Serial
W3235.

This engine is stuck, so I started working with the other one first, but it looks complete, except that I cannot find a spark plug or even a place for one!?!?! Any information on this engine would be great as well.

Thanks very much for your help!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36:43 AM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: New to hobby and New Engine!!!

Either Hit & Miss Enterprises or Starbolt will have a reprint manual for the Sattley engine. When choosing an oiler, make sure it has a check ball in the bottom and a vent tube, otherwise you may not get oil to the cylinder. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the Maynard engine? I don't think they built any of their own engines, but rather sourced them from other manufacturers. Good luck with your new toys, Mike.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23:42 AM
Registered-III

matt, According to a list I have of some 30+ engines built by Nelson Bros. one of them is the Nelson. Sold by Charles Williams stores N.Y.C. The oiler preferred on an engine is an engine oiler which has a check ball to prevent oil from blowing up through the pipe and through the oiler and out on the engine. However, a regular what is referred to as a machine oiler will suffice in most cases depending on the position of the oiler in relation to the position of the oiler pipe in the cylinder. Good luck in your search for literature and parts etc. As stated in an earlier post literature and spark plugs are available. I hope this wil help a little, Joe Morris
Old 07-21-2005, 12:55:26 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,934 Times in 516 Posts

The Maynard could also be a little Jacobson sold by Charles Williams stores. I've had a couple of those. If so the spark plug is in the head.

Tom Winland
Ohio

Last edited by Tom Winland; 07-21-2005 at 12:56:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01:05 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Welcome aboard! Could the one with out the plug be a ignitor fired model?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:56:21 PM
Registered-I

Wow, Thanks for all the replies!! This IS a great forum. I will get some pictures of both of the engines this weekend and post for all to see!

Ray, what do you mean by "ignitor fired", I think that may be what it is. I looked at it again last night and cannot find a plug. I will get detail pictures of the magneto (assuming that is what it is) area.

Thanks Again,

I will be ordering a spark plug, available lierature and oiler for the Sattley next weak, so I can attempt to start it!

Thanks again!

Matt
Old 07-22-2005, 03:53:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

A ignitor is a two part device. two contacts I believe that when seperated jump a arc across the contacts thus igniting the fuel/air mix inside the chamber or cylinder as most refer to it as. The trip rod is what moves the moving part of the ignitor while the stationary part well remains in place when the movable part is pushed the spark is created from the high current passing over the contacts. There is usually a coil or buzz coil hooked up to a 12v battery and the -is grounded to the engine and + hooked to the ignitor. I'm sure someone else can explain this set up better than me as I have very little to almost no experience with a ignitor fired engine all of my engines that I have so far are spark plug fired.Good luck
Old 08-06-2005, 08:26:09 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: New to hobby and New Engines!

Hi everyone,

Attempting to post some pictures of one of my new engines, (The Maynard, The Charles William Storing Company, New York, Serial
W3235.)

[IMG]G:\engine1[/IMG]

Matt
Old 08-06-2005, 08:51:17 AM
Registered-I

Trying again!

The Maynard, The Charles William Storing Company, New York, Serial
W3235.

As Always any information is appreciated!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
engine1.jpg   engine2.jpg   engine3.jpg   engine4.jpg  
Old 08-06-2005, 09:47:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

Thats a real nice engine to start out with. Unfortunatley, now you wont have the oportunity to make mistakes on a junker. I hope you go easy and preserve all the nice origional paint and pin striping. I see the rocker is brazed, thats fine. better the origional with a clean honest repair than a recast/repro. Great engine, next weekend there is a show in Boylston mass, any chance I can see the engine there?
Old 08-06-2005, 02:54:03 PM
Registered-III

Matt, There are at least four things that seem to be sort of trade marks of a Nelson Bros built engine. 1 the crank in the flywheel, 2 the counterweight between the spokes. Sometimes it is devided such that the weight is one half of either side off a spoke, 3 The " Paddle " shape on the end of the rocker arm. which is made that way because there are two springs under it . One is the actual valve spring and the larger,outer spring serves as the reset spring for the pushrod..4 The extra heavy governor weights. And your Nelson is an ignitor engine With the ignitor intergrated into a Webster magneto bracket. You are lucky in that the Webster mag is still there along with the trip. The magneto can be rebuilt. I once had a Jumbo engine by Nelson which was just like the maynard except for the paint color. good luck in ypur new endevor. Joe Morris
Old 08-07-2005, 09:14:22 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
matt, According to a list I have of some 30+ engines built by Nelson Bros. one of them is the Nelson. Sold by Charles Williams stores N.Y.C. The oiler preferred on an engine is an engine oiler which has a check ball to prevent oil from blowing up through the pipe and through the oiler and out on the engine. However, a regular what is referred to as a machine oiler will suffice in most cases depending on the position of the oiler in relation to the position of the oiler pipe in the cylinder. Good luck in your search for literature and parts etc. As stated in an earlier post literature and spark plugs are available. I hope this wil help a little, Joe Morris
I should have read my reply over twice It should have read The Maynard BY Nelson Bros.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:08:28 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the replies guys, you are a big help! I can't believe how much I have learned already!

Peter, can you tell me more about the show in Boylston, have I already missed it or is it this coming wekkend (8/13 - 8/14). Do you know of others in the Mass / New England area.

Tune in later this evening, I just took pictures of the 1.5 HP Sattley and will start a new threead with pictures.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 08-09-2005, 04:23:53 AM
Registered-III

Matt,
You can learn tons about engines, magnetos etc. from Harry's Home page

http://old-engine.com/index.shtml

Also, searching the archives of this site will help you with a lot of immediate information. If you can't find what you need to know in these places, there are very few questions that go unanswered on this board.

Thanks Harry
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28:46 AM
Registered-III

Matt,
You asked about other N.E. shows, there is one in Dublin, N.H. Sept 10&11. Lots of interesting "stuff" shows up. Tractors, machinery and engines of all sizes on display and for sale. Just "up the road" and I wouldn't miss it. Drop me an e mail if you want directions or more info.
Peter