Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Model engine question

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1728 times

Old 07-21-2005, 10:03:42 PM
Subscriber

Default Model engine question

Advice on a good model - casting kit to try for a first project. I have a 12" lathe and access to a vertical mill.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2005, 12:24:22 PM
Registered-I

Smile Re: Model engine question

Jim,
I don't have any advise on a model, but if you want to move the lathe and milling machine to my garage, I supply the electricity....
Rick
Old 07-27-2005, 03:02:05 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Model engine question

i too would like to do model engines but too pricy right now. however i have a lot of info, suppliers and contacts as i looked into it email me and i can help. i tried to find a mechenics kit as i cannot do the machine work right now "wcaler@maineline.net (remove the marks before w)
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52:48 PM
Registered-II

If you are interested in building a model steam engine, Look up "Cole's Power Models" web site. My first engine that I built was their "Cretors" Popcorn and Peanut Wagon Engine, the E.C.X. style. that is the one with the slide valve as opposed to the other style which is an oscilator. At the time I bought the castings, I didn't even know how to read a dial caliper, much less set up and run a lathe. A friend of mine got me started, and I was able to pick right up on it. I have also built a Stuart engine, (Offered by the same company) and a "Tiny Power" engine all are great kits, and have veary clear drawings. Currently I am working on building a Corliss engine that is also offered by Cole's. Coles catalog also has some internal combustion models. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:08:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

While I don't know off hand what to reccomend for a firt attempt, once you get familiar with the game, there is a guy that sells plans for radial aircraft type engines - with a top-of-the-line model of a twin-row 18 cylinder (9 X 2) beauty. These are around 14" in diameter overall. Nice table-top size!
Just a thought.....
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-09-2005, 06:55:34 AM
Registered-II

Take your time, ask questions to the folks that will know, not everything has to be just as in the plans. You can shim or make parts to fit if you have over or under machined. It also helps if you have a full-scale engine to look at that is identical to your kit. What I have seen is the prints tell you how to make the parts but do not show how they all go together. Sometimes this help tell the story of how you will make the part or why it is designed the way it is.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25:19 PM
Registered-III

Do it with bar stock. Castings are fine but not as forgiving. Some of the best model engine builders in the world will give this same advice if asked. I would advise that you stick to a simple single cylinder engine for the first one.

Forrest A
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42:27 AM
Registered-I

Good advice Forrest A. I have been building model steam engines for a couple of years. I had done no machining work before that time. My first model was from plans in Live Steam magazine. I used no castings. I also have a 12 inch lathe and a mill/drill. I am brand new to this forum and I will try to post a picture of my first engine. I may have to give it a couple of tries.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:05:42 PM
Registered-III

Keith, have you ever been to NAMES?