Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gas Tank Location ??

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1656 times

Old 07-24-2005, 06:06:21 PM
Registered

Default Gas Tank Location ??

HI Folks, Still working on the Homemade Tractor, got a question on Gas Tank Placement. I have a F/M ZC 208 with a throttler Carb. I have the gas tank up higher than the carb. I think this will cause me a problem since it will gravity feed into the carb and no float valve to stop the gas from running over and out of the carb. Would like to have the gas tank higher than the carb since it looks good where it is. Any ideas as to how I can use this set up with out lowering the tank below the carb. Could I use a loop in the gas line somehow. Whats your take on this. Thanks Smoke
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2005, 06:12:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,621 Times in 799 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank Location ??

A loop in the fuel line ain't the answer. Since liquids are always trying to find their own level, all that'll happen is that the gasoline will flow in a loop on it's uncontrolled path to the carburator. If you want to have the tank above the carb, maybe some sort of inline valve could be installed to manually control the fuel flow. Perferably it should be accessible from the operator's seat since increased power demands will create an increased demand for fuel.
Just my ideas
~M~
Old 07-24-2005, 06:25:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Inline check valve might work too. I'll be picking up a fbm zc 118 soon to add to my collection.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:23:21 PM
Registered-III

Smoke, If all else fails you could go ahead and use the tank on top for apperance sake. Then perhaps a hidden tank somewhere under the frame. Some of the Asssociated engines had the tank above the mixer and used an inline check valve that had a rather heavy ball in it that seemed to work ok. however the fall from the tank to the mixer was minimal. good luck in solving the problem . Joe Moris
Old 07-24-2005, 09:23:50 PM
Subscriber

Smoke I've heard to use a spring loaded check valve installed so it had to suck against spring tension will work, although I have not tried it. Spring would hold ball against pressure in tank. Dick in central PA.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,347 Times in 344 Posts
Photo Re: Gas Tank Location ??

Smoke; All the parts for your carb can be found at Hit/ Miss or Arrow Engine Co. With the float,seat/needle,check valves and related parts you can have the tank anywhere. On my 118 FBM I have it under the engine mounted to the frame of the cart. The vac operated pump keeps the carb full. Good luck how ever you do it.Just having fun in Southern Illinois Gary
Attached Thumbnails
050428044830.jpg  
Old 07-24-2005, 10:39:45 PM
Subscriber

Many years ago I built a small tractor for my son. I used a 1/2 hp Fairbanks Z style D (cracker box). The tractor is still running 20 years later. The gas tank is mounted above the engine. I do not use a check valve at all and it runs fine, starts better than when the tank was below. To shut the engine off I just close the carb needle valve. When I want to start it I open the valve and pull a rope on the pulley. The only time I use the shut off valve at the tank is when I put it away after a show or over the winter in storage.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:06:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Hey Gary B.
Is that the clutch setup that came on youre 118 or did you add it? I'll be getting one in a week and it has a 3 V belt set up and a type "J" clutch that I believe had a hand lever to activate it but from the pictures I got it looks like the crankshaft was broken off where the lever should have been.