Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

ignition And valve timing

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1832 times

Old 07-26-2005, 11:23:08 AM
Registered-III

Question ignition And valve timing

Ok, this is a little off topic, but I dont think there is any other place on the web where so much knowledge can be found. I am in the process of converting some diesel engines to spark plug ignition natural gas engines. Well I got the easy part done, it runs! My problem is this engine jumps at any speed and it didnt as a diesel engine. My question is, what can I do so calm this engine down. I've got the spark timing at 2 degrees before TDC. I think if i change the valve timing it may help? The "standard" for valve timing for diesel vs. gas is bound to be differant right? This engine will be working around 800 rpm and less. What to you guys think? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45:46 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: ignition And valve timing

Well, with the compression that a diesel engine generates, I would be concerned with pre-ignition. Unless you are injecting the natural gas, I have a feeling that it is pre-igniting and the spark plug may not be doing a whole lot. 2 degrees BTDC would stall most engines unless they were running VERY slow. Just out of curiosity, try pulling the spark plug wire while it's running or grounding the wire out and see if it still runs.

Jeb
Old 07-26-2005, 12:33:06 PM
Registered-III

I've got a carb on the engine, not injecting the gas. I can turn the key and kill the ign system and the engine dies. So its not actually running like a diesel. I will check the compression ratio, if its really high that too may be a reason for the engine jumping so hard?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Waggonner
I've got a carb on the engine, not injecting the gas. I can turn the key and kill the ign system and the engine dies. So its not actually running like a diesel. I will check the compression ratio, if its really high that too may be a reason for the engine jumping so hard?
Doug:

The compression of a Diesel designed engine is too high for NG or gasoline spark ignition use. You might want to add one or two extra head gaskets to lower it to below about 8:1 or so.

Take care - Elden