Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

ID engine, if possible. (Rail Car)

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 2663 times

Old 07-27-2005, 05:14:20 PM
Registered-III

Default ID engine, if possible.

Hi guys. I'm looking at an engine, will be getting pics later. This is a small horizontal 2 cycle with flywheel on one side and pulley on the other. Flywheel is approximately 15 inches with round holes in it instead of spokes. No governor. Sealed crank. Carb similiar to what's on a Briggs. Headless. Battery and coil ignition. Lever for forward and reverse. Exhausts out the bottom. Sparkplug comes out of the front of the hopper where it tapers down. My main concern is the water hopper, it looks way to short to do any cooling. The top of the hopper is just a couple of inches above the cylinder. Kind of looks like someone cut the hopper down for some reason or another. Or perhaps it had a brass add-on, or condensor? If any of you guys have an engine like this, would you post it for comparison? The guy told me he was told it was a railroad car engine. No tag and I can't find any numbers. I would like to have this engine, but not if it's not complete. Thanks, David.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2005, 08:26:28 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: ID engine, if possible.

David

The photo will tell a thousand words. I will be in touch shortly. BUSY !!!!!!! Some good things to report.

Jim
Old 07-27-2005, 08:35:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts

David,

Look anything like a Woolery engine, page 563 in Wendel's BYB? I might have a picture of one like it that I took several years ago in British Columbia but not sure if I can find it at the moment. Seems to me it had round holes in the flywheel and a galvanised tin water tank at the front for cooling.

Bill
Old 07-28-2005, 12:54:25 AM
Subscriber

Sounds something like a Fuller and Johnson lawn mower engine. Had a radiator arrangement for cooling. Or possibly a log saw engine. Just a guess.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:27:14 PM
Registered-III

Hi Bill, doesn't look like that. I got the pics, just trying to figure out how to get them loaded on this thing then I will be posting them. The more I look at it, the more I think the hopper has either been cut down, or it had a extension or condensor on it. David.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09:55 AM
Registered-III

Photo unknown engine pics

Ok, think I got it. But I'm gonna have to write Harry and find out how to delete what I have on there. Let me know guys, if you can. The owner is waiting on an answer as to whether or not I'm gonna buy. Thanks, David.
Attached Thumbnails
front.jpg   left.jpg   right.jpg  
Old 07-29-2005, 08:18:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: unknown engine pics

Looks like the remains of an incomplete and heavily modified 2-cycle railroad section car engine. Basically worthless in my opinion. Al Wait
Old 07-29-2005, 10:11:36 PM
Registered-III

fairmont?!?

Mac Leod
Old 07-30-2005, 06:36:31 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Al, kinda what I've figured. I was hoping to get a pic to compare because the guy thouroughly believes it came made this way. David.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12:58 PM
Registered-III

David,
I have an identical engine to your mystery one. Mine is totally complete with the condensor on top of the hopper. I was told by the seller that it is a kalamazoo railroad engine that was used on the western union telegraph lines.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:29:45 PM
Registered-III

David,
I found this picture, hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
P7050122-1.jpg  
Old 07-31-2005, 09:16:22 PM
Administrator

Thanked 8,995 Times in 1,478 Posts

Old 07-31-2005, 10:37:26 PM
Registered-III

David
I also own the fairmont engine that harry posted. It has two flywheels and are spoked. The Kalamazoo has only one flywheel and has round holes in it like the one that you are looking at. The condensers are very similar but the rest of the hopper is different. Also the carb. mounts on the side instead of the rear like the fairmonts. I hope this helps
Old 08-01-2005, 02:21:08 AM
Registered-III

Uh, I'm kinda thinking I'm not welcome on his property anymore. When I told him I wasn't interested in it because I didn't think it was complete, he started on me about how he was a Du Pont maintaince man for 24 years and said something about anyone with sense could tell it was a factory cut on the hopper and it was obvious that there was no place to bolt a condensor on to it (duh, it was cut off) and if anyone said any different they didn't know their a** from a hole in the ground. Said he would take it to the Florida Flywheeler show when he goes to his winter home there and sell it easily for 400+. Then went on about how I was trying to blow smoke up his butt so I could get it cheaper. I think the only one that blew smoke up his butt was the old guy he said traded him a bunch of old tools out of his garage for it. Wow, he sure was awful nice to me when he thought I was going to buy it. David.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43:23 AM
Administrator

Thanked 8,995 Times in 1,478 Posts

Think about this.. How would a wide open hopper of boiling water respond to the starts, stops, vibration and bounces of being operated on a railroad car? Might be they thought they would turn it into a New Holland?

I've run onto one other person like him, a GRUMPY old man who when the item wasn't bought, turned into a total turd. And like an elephant, never forgot the visit. This is the same person who has a sign at his show display, "This is NOT a museum! These engines are FOR SALE!"

Run in the opposite direction.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:07:57 PM
Registered-III

Hi Harry, that is exactly what got me to thinking it wasn't right. On my way home after looking at it the thought occurred to me as to what would keep the water in and I started questioning it. As you know, I don't have the experience a lot of you guys have and when I first saw it I thought it was different and would be neat to have. I told him I would like to buy it but wanted to check on here first to see what it was, I sure am glad I did. Thanks Harry, and thanks to those who responded here and by private e-mail. David.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:22:47 PM
Subscriber

From looking at the photo, it is a pretty sweet looking cut around the hopper as the guy said but there doesn't appear to be an easy way to mount a condenser or a lid or a hopper extension, at least at a glance. It is possible the old grump has a decent, but incomplete item.

Sounds like you've got a cranky seller but it reminds me of a bit of old schoolboy advice: it doesn't behoove to pick on the sissy boy and then later find out he's got the best looking sister in town. LOL Probably best to continue to be nice even if you walk away.

I never know if I'm looking at a lemon or a diamond in the rough, so I have to be extra careful or I'll step on my you-know-what, for sure.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: ID engine, if possible. (Rail Car)

Hi Folks,

This is my very first post to smokstak. I'm a pretty young guy, but have recently gotten into old iron after finding one of my grandfathers old broken down (and I mean really broken down) hitnmisses. Now I have three engines, all under construction, one of which looks EXACTLY like the one you have been discussing on this thread! I was told it was a Fairmont. I contacted a fellow that used to work for Fairmont and wrote a short book on rail car history; he says mine is definitely not a Fairmont. You think it's a Kalamazoo?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
RailCar Engine.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to duggeral For This Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 05:14:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,465 Times in 1,197 Posts

Hi duggeral, welcome to the stak, Yes, from the info and pics in this thread it looks like you have a Kalamazoo, and it looks like you did a great job restoring it too. Keep up the good work and show us the rest of your engines.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29:26 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Here is a pict. Bob
Attached Thumbnails
kalamazoo 1.jpg