Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

6 hp IHC M stuck piston

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3354 times

Old 07-28-2005, 07:54:58 AM
Registered-II

Default 6 hp IHC M stuck piston

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and information that was giving to me on how to unstick my piston. Well last night my daddy and I were out in the shop and I decided to play around with it and see if I could get it out. Well I put about 3" of kerosene in the cylinder and then I light it a fire. I let it burn long as it wanted too. Did not burn long but got the cylinder pretty hot. Then I dumped out the extra fluid and wipe it down real good with a rag. Then I stood it back up on end and got a peace of oak 4x4 and waked it with the mall about 20 times and it finialy came out. I don't know if it was the heat or the fact that it had been soaking for about three weeks with brake fluid in it. But no matter it is out now. So thanks again for all you'll help...

On that note does anyone know were I can get a good used sleeve or a new one? My piston is in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2005, 08:35:32 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: 6 hp IHC M stuck piston

Great work Chad, don't know where to find another sleeve. Half year ago I had luck and bought a NOS sixhorse sleeve complete with piston and rings nice sleeping in a wooden box on Harry's big engine site.
You can try it there, good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:53:32 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and information that was giving to me on how to unstick my piston. Well last night my daddy and I were out in the shop and I decided to play around with it and see if I could get it out. Well I put about 3" of kerosene in the cylinder and then I light it a fire. I let it burn long as it wanted too. Did not burn long but got the cylinder pretty hot. Then I dumped out the extra fluid and wipe it down real good with a rag. Then I stood it back up on end and got a peace of oak 4x4 and waked it with the mall about 20 times and it finialy came out. I don't know if it was the heat or the fact that it had been soaking for about three weeks with brake fluid in it. But no matter it is out now. So thanks again for all you'll help...

On that note does anyone know were I can get a good used sleeve or a new one? My piston is in good shape.
WOW !!! That didn't take long. GOOD JOB !!!!!

Good luck on the parts hunt. I hope you find what you need and can get it running soon.

Jim
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27:20 PM
Registered-II

Do you guys think I could just JB weld the bad spots in the sleeve and make it run good? Or would it be better to get it bored out and put a larger piston in it? I am going to try and take the sleeve out tomorrow night. Is there any easy way or good way to get the sleeve out? I don't have a sleeve puller so I was just going to try with another oak 4x4 from the rear and hope for the best. should I try heating it up or anything? any comments will be great help..
Thanks guys, it is good to get support and help from all you engine guys..
Chad
Old 07-28-2005, 01:40:16 PM
Registered-III

Is it just pitted or are there large bad areas? If it were just pitted I wouldn't take the sleeve out because it can be a headache to get out and back in without it leaking. Just JB weld it in place after you do a very good cleanup. I doubt you'll be able to knock the sleeve out. You'll have to rig up some kind of sleeve puller with something like a 1" piece of all thread (minimum), a couple of nuts, a heavy rear plate just a little larger than the sleeve and a good heavy piece across the front with some beefy shims under it and a hole in the middle of it. Center the assembly up and tighten it good and tight. Then through the back of the block put a chuck of 2X4 up against the back plate and give it a good hit or two with a hammer and re-tighten the puller and repeat the process.

Good luck,
Jamie
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48:47 PM
Registered-II

from what I can tell right now it is just pitted real bad in a few spots. mainly on the bottom. I was going to pull it out just to try and clean it up better. but before I pull it I will take a wire brush on my die grinder and clean it up well it see just how bad it is. But do you think the JB weld will hold in the fwe bad areas? or is there something else I could use to do this?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:41:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Chad:

I really think you should hone it a little and put it back together with a good set of rings and see how it works. You can always take it back apart if it doesn't work out.

I suppose you could try the JB Weld after getting rid of the rust with something like Naval Jelly. You'd want to get it as smooth as possible then run the hone in the bore to get rid of the boogers.

Removing the sleeve is problematic. You might end up with more problems than you started with.

You'd be surprised how bad a bore can be and still have a good running engine. With the wide piston rings in the old ones, it takes pretty large diameter pits to make the ring unseal enough to cause a problem.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 07-28-2005, 02:51:03 PM
Registered-III

The JB weld should work as long as you clean the area extremely well first. Clean the cylinder until you could eat out of it and then keep cleaning for that much longer. Finish the cleaning with lacquer thinner and the final wipe down with alcohol. After all this cleaning I take a propane torch and put enough heat on the area to be fixed to get it fairly warm to the touch to get the water and more oil out of the cast and then do another final cleaning. Once you've got it as clean as humanly possible (guess you’ve figured out cleaning is very important), spread the JB weld in the pits. You can push one of the rings through the sleeve to scrape off all the excess JB weld. Be sure to use the old slow drying type. Once it’s dry, finish cleaning out the excess JB weld and do a light hone job.

Jamie
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Chad Im with Elden. I wouldnt remove the cylinder unless necessary or you find another 1st.Just give it a lite hone job then check your ring to land side clearance.If this is sloppy then Check with Dave Reed and see what the best way will be to correct.This is more important then end gap! Some pitting wont affect engine running and holds a little oil to lube piston. Like Jamie said if you do decide to use JB you need to get everything super clean.I have heard of people having good luck doing this but I would hate to have some of it come loose and scar the cyl.wall My M doesnt have much comp. but runs good.BobRR
Old 07-28-2005, 04:46:55 PM
Registered-I

Check with an International Case Tractor Dealer, I think the sleeve from
a A of B International tractor may fit.

Worth a shot

Dave
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47:16 PM
Registered-III

Chad, believe me the last thing you want to do is pull the sleeve. It can be a real chore and then the process in getting another sleeve back in is even harder. If there are no scores in the cylinder I don't believe the pitts will be a problem. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15:20 AM
Registered-III

Chad,
If your cylinder is not too pitted, "DON'T" use a wire buff on it. The wire buff will take the rust out of the pits and cause you bigger sealing problems. If you use a hone on the cylinder to get it as good as possible the rust will be left in the pits and supply some sealing where there is actualy no metal, and you will find after its been running for a while (quite a long while) these will eventualy fill up with carbon. This only works if the pits are not "too" big.

Like the other blokes said, don't pull that liner unless you have no alternative, they can be a pain in the @$$.
Good luck
Graham.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:15:36 AM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Chad]from what I can tell right now it is just pitted real bad in a few spots. mainly on the bottom.

Chad

If the pitting is on the bottom of the sleeve, (back end) leave it alone. The pitts will not cause any problems with compression as the rings will not be traveling in that area.

Lightly HAND SAND (circular motion,not up and down) the bore to clean it up and install the old or new rings. It should run fine.

Jim
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21:16 AM
Registered-II

thanks everyone..sounds like i will be just doing some cleaning with it in the motor and see what happens from there. i am hoping for the best cause i have been looking and talking to many people in different places and i can not find a sleeve no were...

Mr. bobrr...you say your M does not have much compersion..what do you call not alot? I got antoher 6 hp M that is a sprak plug model and i can turn the flywheels with one fingure...I was thinking of pulling it down to see why but do you think it will run with almost no compresion?

again thanks eveyone for the help. Soon as I get back to working on it I will let you'll know what comes out of it...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:24:49 AM
Registered-II

Mr. Jim, the bad thing is the pits are in the front end of the cylinder. My piston was stuck hanging out the back. I am going to get it cleaned up this weekend and see if I can get some pictures taken of it and then try to post them for all to look at and see if someone can come up with something from that.

again thanks so much for all you'll help...thanks harry for this site...

chad
Old 07-29-2005, 01:37:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Chad My M has a little more then that (not much).My 6hp. fairbanks didnt have any comp. I squirted a liitle oil in cyl. and belted it up to a tractor and spun slowly it fired right up and after running 5min. shut it down and voila it took 2 of us to turn it over! (just stuck rings)You may get lucky!Make sure you dont have any stuck valves(open or closed)Good luck let us know how you make out!BobRR
Old 07-29-2005, 01:55:27 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
thanks everyone..sounds like i will be just doing some cleaning with it in the motor and see what happens from there. i am hoping for the best cause i have been looking and talking to many people in different places and i can not find a sleeve no were...

Mr. bobrr...you say your M does not have much compersion..what do you call not alot? I got antoher 6 hp M that is a sprak plug model and i can turn the flywheels with one fingure...I was thinking of pulling it down to see why but do you think it will run with almost no compresion?

again thanks eveyone for the help. Soon as I get back to working on it I will let you'll know what comes out of it...
Chad. Sometimes the low or practically no compression can be just a pece of carbon under the head of onr of the valves. Listen with your ear close to the exhaust then try the mixer intake for leaking compression from either one of these as someone turns the flywheels Any leaking sounds?? Take a pair of vice grips and turn the stems / valve heads whole th y are closed and see if it helps the problem. Joe Morris
Old 07-30-2005, 01:58:04 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Mr. Joe I am going to check on doing this one night this week. I tried to hone the cy;linder of my 6 hp last night and I don't think I am having any luck. The pits I thought I had are not really pits. When I honed it and then cleande it out real goos with some brake fluid, seams that the bad spot is raised up off the surface. i don't really know how to explain it. I am going to try and take a picture of it so you'll can look at it and see if something can be done with. I thought about getting a machine shop to bore it out 30 over and just get some custom rings made instead of trying to find a sleeve and replacing it..let me know you'll thought and hopefully by the end of the day i will have some pictures of it...again thanks for all you'll time and cooperation on this matter.
chad
Old 07-30-2005, 02:23:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts

Chad,

If you bore your sleeve 30 thousands over you will need to replace your piston as well as the rings.

Bill