Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Found - 18" Fairbanks Morse brass tag - locomotive?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1657 times

Old 07-30-2005, 09:28:52 PM
Registered-III

Default Found - 18" Fairbanks Morse brass tag - locomotive?

Found this 18" x 2 3/8" brass tag while cleaning out a condo of a gentleman who used to work for the railroad. Anyone have any idea what it's from? It's in excellent condition, no serial numbers, just "Fairbanks Morse". Any help ID it would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
brass.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2005, 12:05:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: Found - 18" Fairbanks Morse brass tag - locomotive?

It could have come from a locomotive engine, or an air-compressor. F-M made a lot of large deisel engines, some of which were even used in submarines, as well as locomotives!
Andrew
Old 07-31-2005, 01:31:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Found - 18" Fairbanks Morse brass tag - locomotive?

I am not a railroad knowledgeable type but do know that Fairbanks Morse manufactured a number of locomotives that used the opposed piston (O.P.) Model 38D8-1/8 engine with various numbers of cylinders. WWII came along and the guv'ment directed O.P. production from locomotives to military service, mostly marine I've read.

After the war, F-M made some more locomotives using this engine model but not in great numbers.

I say this and then add that a large-ish marine direct reversing 38D8-1/8 10 cylinder (20 piston) engine that I operated for a number of years had similar tags, one on each side of the "blower". These were cast aluminum, though, but looked very similar and were about the size that you quote. (I could have taken an extra set that was kicking around just before the ship was sold to the Rooskies- heck they would have given them to me- but I don't do that kind of thing.)

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of those plates were made of brass in other days and slapped on O.P.'s but I don't really know. Or they were on a different big Fairbanks engines- they made a lot of different big iron things. You know, some of those railroad cats probably collected similar stuff like "rustoholics" collect.

No facts here, except what I personally experienced. Maybe this will be a clue that helps you find your answer.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:05:39 AM
Fred_M

If you are pretty sure it's off a locomotive engine, which you seem to be, a bunch of train me hang at Trains.com forum. I would try there. Fred
Old 08-01-2005, 12:17:13 AM
Registered 0

I really hate to say this, but that looks like quite a few I've seen on FM truck Scales.
FM seemed to like decorating the operator end of the scale with brass, like the weight bars and nameplates on some models.