Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

Waukesha engine?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 5577 times

Old 07-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Registered-III

Liked 871 Times in 261 Posts
Photo Waukesha engine?

I just got this little 4 cylinder flat head gas engine. The head is about a foot long. It has a magneto with cloth wires. Nothing I can see for starting. I would like to know the HP and what rpm it runs at. It wouldn't hurt to know when it was built and what it was used for. The governor has 3 positions to set it to. One has a bolt in it so you can't use it.

See pictures.

Richard W.
Attached Thumbnails
wakas.jpg   wakas3.jpg   wakas4.jpg   wakas2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Waukesha engine???

I forgot to say the pictures with the numbers is taken from the back of the head.

Richard W.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered-III

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

hello, looks a lot like my waukesha ICK engine...Hp is between 10 and 25, if Iit is an ICK model, whats the magneto (eisemann LA-4?) is the engine iron or aluminum?...on the back end of the cylinder head, either mag or other side there should be a year stampted in...mine is a 1943

hope this helps

Mac Leod
Old 07-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,734 Times in 532 Posts

Waukesha built them as starter engines, had a rope start pulley and tied into the main engine cooling system when used in this application. If they had a mag there was no room for a starter. Red Wing Marine used it, 20hp at 2400 rpm in this form.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered-III

mine has a mag and a starter...the starter was modified from stock but was a electric starter, it also has its own cooling system as it was a military genset. they also could turn up to 3000 RPM, from the factory, the gov was set acording to application

Mac Leod
Old 08-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Registered-III

Mac I couldn't find a date on the head any where. It has a fairbanks morse mag model FMJ. There are some letters cast in the back of the cylinders. The letters U F run together, then below that Alloy 211, and below that 121101F. The head, block and cylinders are all cast iron. In one of the pictures I added it shows one hole not used in the governor and one with a bolt in it. It's set in the center hole.

Richard W.
Attached Thumbnails
wakas5.jpg   wakas6.jpg   wakas7.jpg  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered-III

would it be possible to send my a few pictures of the intake and exhaust manifold, mine have rusted out beyond repair...only things left are the flanges where they bold to the engine....there is not tag on your engine? whats the Carby?

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Registered-III

Mac there is a tag on the block, but it's painted over. I don't know if I can save any of the printing on it. The intake is cast, but the exhaust is fabricated and looks like it was done at the factory. Looks really solid yet too. I have attached a few pictures. The carb is a Zenith and has a round washer on it. That's you can see in the picture. On the washer it has an outer row of numbers and an inner row. The outer row says "51041D" and the inner row says "10066". If that is of any help to you.

Richard W.
Attached Thumbnails
wakas9.jpg   wakas10.jpg   wakas11.jpg   wakas8.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richard:

This is a Waukesha ICK. See my note under Waukesha Engine (Mac Leod) for some interesting information on this Engine.

Al R
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered-III

Liked 896 Times in 734 Posts
Default Re: Waukesha engine?

Wauk built what appear to be a couple variations of the ICK; they're usually shown separately in parts catalogs as ICL and ICK15. Usually in Wauks of this period the "15" would be a works variation number (ign, clutch, starting, etc) but for some resson the ICK15 is often shown like a separate engine.
Per 94 Clevite book all are the same b/s and all have the ball bearing mains, which I understand may be a bear to find.
The ICK was one of their little workhorse engines,used, as already mentioned, both as a starter engine and in all kinds of other uses: little lift trucks, railcars, combines etc. (Do read Al R's writeup, it's very nice). The ICL shows much less often, but my stuff is mostly trucks and tractors.
Wauk Eng Hist Soc wehs@me.com may have build info if you can get info off tag; they're all volunteer so you may not get immediate reply.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Registered-II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

richard, i had 2 of these engs years ago. thay were on 24v generators, used for aircraft eng starts. i was told the gens were the same used on large recips. they were driven off the flywheel end w/triple pulley,also had recoil starter on crankshaft on fan side of eng,although for normal starts, it would motor over through the gen. i used them for yrs waking up catipilar and other 24v equipt. they were sold when the gen end over heated and my starter shop wagged his head back and forth. mine also had shielded ign. wires and special spark plugs. i also remember nicely made fuel tank bracketed to the head bolts. i have not given them a thought until i read this thread. i supose thats why i registered here. mike a
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered-II

Liked 366 Times in 96 Posts

Yours looks very similar to the pony motor on this big 6 cyl Wauk generator at the Western NY Gas & Steam grounds in Alexander NY.

It is rope-started using a notched pulley bolted to the front end of the crankshaft.

Cute little engine!