Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Newway 5hp single flywheel engine

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 6478 times

Old 07-31-2005, 06:41:00 PM
Tim Rostar

Default Newway 5hp single flywheel engine

Hello i just bought a newway engine that ive always wanted and im told its a 5hp and it has a big metal tag on the shoud with lots of words but no model or horsepower it has a serail no. like in the low 4000 and the engine is a royal blue color single flywheel and looks like it has two tanks in one probably for kerosine .anyway its all there in great shape and good compression and id like to get some input on what the model is and find out about the bosch mag and if it has a impauls and what the timing is .Oh id love to see any pictures of this engine and know what the correct color is.....thank you ..........Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2005, 08:55:23 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: newway 5hp single flywheel engine

Tim, I believe they were originally Black.....I'm currently thinking of buying an original 5HP. This engine has a split fuel tank, gas/kero, and does not have an impulse on the mag. but it starts and runs very well. The hp is clearly stamped on the tag, which is attached to the side of the shroud next to the tank.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31:25 PM
Tim Rostar

Default newway 5hp single flywheel color

I have a real nice newway single flywheel engine and its a kerosine model from the mid 20s .it has a carter carb and bosch mag and a stationary design .can anyone tell me the correct color blue and people that are really into newway engines.......Tim ........Oh what newway engines say goes and goes right on the flywheels it most be they only did that on the flywheels for a short while.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:55:52 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: newway 5hp single flywheel color

The only New Ways that had "Goes and Goes Right" on the Flywheels were the ones in the catalogs. The actual engines had what we see today. As far as the color of the 5hp single, I have seen some that have been blue but am reluctant to call that an original color. I have an original manual for that engine and it shows the lighter green color and the maron color on the tin work with the air cooled part of the cyl. being somewhat silver. This manual is from 1919 I do believe so they may have changed the color in the later years as New Way engines were built way into the 30's.

Tim Christoff
Old 08-01-2005, 09:02:57 PM
Tim Rostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christoff
The only New Ways that had "Goes and Goes Right" on the Flywheels were the ones in the catalogs. The actual engines had what we see today. As far as the color of the 5hp single, I have seen some that have been blue but am reluctant to call that an original color. I have an original manual for that engine and it shows the lighter green color and the maron color on the tin work with the air cooled part of the cyl. being somewhat silver. This manual is from 1919 I do believe so they may have changed the color in the later years as New Way engines were built way into the 30's.

Tim Christoff
Tim the newway motor co started in 1904 and ran to 1930 and some of the employes bought the company and it was called the newway engine and machine company and closed its doors in 1940.i found this out in the lansing achives.....thanks for the flywheel tip
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36:32 AM
Registered-II

Tim,

I have a 1919 New Way model CH 5HP single flywheel in original condition with the orginal decal on the shroud. The paint on the tin work appears to be a dark color almost black. The cylinder has some silver paint left on it and the crank housing is a dark red. This probably adds more to the controversy of the color.

Bruce in PA
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57:06 PM
Tim Rostar

Hi Bruce thank you for replying back.do you have a picture to look at id like to see the differance .i thank these engine were blue in the twenties im learning.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07:03 PM
Registered-III

I have a 5 hp single-flywheel that is painted olive drab green.New Way advertised in 1920 that they had sold many to the US government,so I think the green is right for the one I have.There is no other paint under the green.

Just my three cents
Stan
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37:15 PM
Tim Rostar

thank you for your reply and it seems that newway used a couple of colors on the ch 5hp ive seen about four ch newways that were painted blue from the factory and i have one of them.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43:08 PM
Tim Rostar

Default newway ch 5hp

Hello newway agents can any or all of you send me some pics of a newway ch or cha or centaur tractor newway motor ....they dont have to be blue ....im begining to think i have a rare engine
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43:03 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

I checked out my dad's last night while helping him move it from one corner of the garage to another. The crankcase on it is painted green very similar to the earlier upright engines. There was only one spot with paint visible through the dirt and grease to determine a color. Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 04:24:06 PM
Tim Rostar

Thank you Mike for replying .do you have a picture i could see......Tim
Old 08-04-2005, 05:17:09 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Sorry Tim, I do not have a picture. The engine resides about 30 miles away from me. I only like moving that engine when there is Mom's cooking involved.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:20:17 PM
Tim Rostar

Default Re: newway ch 5hp

Well its a newway and it goes and goes right and they were sold buy every john deere plow company in the world and thats about like saying there sold by sears.Im wondering if theres anyone out there that can date newway engine .i know the early ones are marron and olive green and the later one are black and alot of the ch models are blue ....who is the newway expert and is there anyone trying to sifer the serial numbers.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:27:51 PM
Tim Rostar

Default Bosch rotary mag

i have a ba bosch mag thats for a newway ch 5hp and its weak spark at cranking speed .i took it apart and cleaned it carefully with brake clean and put a hold bar on the mag .the magnet seems to be ok and i put it back on the way it came off after all this work the spark is no better .i have some resistance with the magnet lines of force when turning armature but dont know if it should be stronger .....help me i may be going and going wrong.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:15:34 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: bosch rotary mag

The magnet may still be weak, you may have a bad coil, are the points set at the proper gap? The mag on my New Way does not throw a strong spark at cranking either, it may just be normal! Set plug gap @ .025.
Andrew
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06:10 PM
Tim Rostar

Default Re: bosch rotary mag

thanks andy for replying .I did recharge the magnet and played with the points and i have it sparking at a slower turning speed and so i put it on the engine thinking it is going to run because ive got everything elsa set right on the engine .....and i do beleave that the spark isnt as good under compression and the engine is not running .....so what if i put a condensor in the cuircut .........let me know
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58:19 PM
Tim Rostar

Default bosch rotary mag

hello im looking for a way to hot wire my bosch rotory mag with dry cell and condensor.it seems to make a good spark with mag off and spining by hand and even seems to make a spark when turning slow but when its on the engine i have to crank it fast to get a spark and the mag turns the same speed as the crank does.id like to hot up the mag.the mags on a newway ch 5hp
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30:20 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: bosch rotary mag

I had the same situation, with a Bosch rotary mag, the only way to go was new windings on the armature. Now I turn the flywheels half the speed and get "thunder" sparks
My mag man used thinner wire with more windings and it works great.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:19:46 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: bosch rotary mag

DO NOT CONNECT A BATTERY TO THE MAG! The wingings within the mag are not made to take the voltage and the current the batteries will incur - they will burn out. Also, you syand a chance of ruining the magnets as well!
Andrew