Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Newway 5hp single flywheel engine

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 6477 times

Old 08-11-2005, 04:51:53 PM
Tim Rostar

Default Re: bosch rotary mag

Ok Andy i thought so and i cant even see away i could use the points in the mag with out getting the armature involved.looks like some leakage in the coil.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44:07 PM
Tim Rostar

Default magneto madness

Ok im back with you on the bosch rotary mag for newway and i think the same one is also used on IHC m engine.Ok next i take the armature out and hook 6volt battery to it and every time the spark is super like half inch jump.next i make shims for bearing race to take all end play out thinking the armature is draging a little but no and no better spark .the points are clean and set right and no insulation problem and all so the magnet seems strong or just as strong as my other magneto magnets .i do seem to get a little veryation in spark sometimes i sure do like the spark it makes with the battery i can only do that with the armature out on the bench.....help me Ted or any other proes
Old 08-12-2005, 12:02:56 AM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: magneto madness

If you are talking about a Bosch FX mag like the ones used on the IHC m get it professonally repaired. i don't know if you know that these mags use the same shuttle wound coil as the AB-33. you can fart around with it all you like but if you don't change the coil it won't work cut and dried!!The coils on these mags had a lot of problems. if you take and cut the tape off the windings you will see that it will be as green as grass underneath.a lot of corrosion. 90% of all the coils on ab-33 and fx mags are no good. the mag will spark when turned, but not under compression. or the engine will start and run for a few minutes and die. If repaired properly these mags will start and run your engine for a very long time,and spark a hot 1/4 inch spark. you know the old saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:11:30 AM
In Memory Of

I told you Tim, on the bench a great spark but nothing on the engine. New windings that's it.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:17:17 AM
Tim Rostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hammink
I told you Tim, on the bench a great spark but nothing on the engine. New windings that's it.
my wishfull thinking is giving me blisters .its time for a coil to be looked at
Old 08-12-2005, 07:35:37 PM
Tim Rostar

Default need bosch rotary mag parts

I got the armature apart carefully and seperated the condensor from the armature for testing and Im happy to say i have a bad condensor .were can i get a substitute condensor thats right for this bai number19 bosch mag that is on my newway ch 5hp engine.the condensor thats in my armature looks like a hocky puck and im thinking i have to hob it out to fit the modern one. oh it would be nice to find out which one to get localy to save me the weight but if i have to order one from the stack thats ok two.....motors make me
Old 08-12-2005, 09:24:14 PM
Tim Rostar

Default condensor help

Im going in to the auto parts store and hopes to get a condensor for my bosch mag and im sure that when i tell them id like to get one with 0.2 to 0.25 microfarads and like 630 or more volts ac ..there going to tell me whats it going on and that will be the end.....do you engine people think if i asked for a condensor for a kohler engine with magneto ignition that this would be close or would a ek wico condensor also work
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: condensor help

Try an electronics store/TV repair shop. I think you can buy them from Radio Shack although they may not be in stock. The reason for the high voltage rating is for the ability for the condensor (called a Capacitor in modern times) to survive the harsh environment inside most mags. You might find that a 50V capacitor works just as well and costs less. The voltage rating is related to the thickness of the material between the plates and the resistance to leakage current.

Forrest A
Old 08-24-2005, 03:54:11 PM
Registered-III

Here is a known good source for mag parts: Branson Ent. (815) 633-4262.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:41:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest A
You might find that a 50V capacitor works just as well and costs less. The voltage rating is related to the thickness of the material between the plates and the resistance to leakage current.
Forrest:

I would not recommend a 50 Volt capacitor for ignition circuits. The peak voltage developed during the damped oscillation of the tuned circuit consisting of the coil primary and the condenser can be as high as several hundred Volts. A low voltage capacitor will either short-out immediately or after only a short time.

If you want to use a non-automotive condenser, get a metal film or Mylar capacitor with a value between 0.15 and 0.33 microfarad at 630 Volts. That'll work like a champ!

I did a study of High Tension ignition systems that can be found on the following page:

http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand/O...0Pictures.html

Oh, yes - just about any automotive capacitor (condenser) can be used with just about any magneto or battery high tension ignition system. The difference in spark between all of them is usually very slight.

Take care - Elden
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02:53 PM
Tim Rostar

Default blue newway ch 5hp

I hope to get some help on the ch 5hp newway engine .Im restoring mine and need to see some pics of the engine and get a paint color code and see what the gas caps look like because mine are missing and i may remake the engine tag and need to get some ideas on how to reproduce one.WELL ID LIKE TO GET ANY PICS AND INFO TO HELL ME OUT.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:32:17 PM
Tim Rostar

Default newway piston scare

Well i decided there was a little to much end play and some up and down shake in the main bearings and so i started to work on getting the crank out and just thought id take the rod cap off and push the piston up to clear the crank throws and pull the crank out and just as i did that i remembered that there is no head to take off if the piston goes up to fare the top ring will exspand out of the cylinder and man what do you do now .well i pulled on the rod and sure enough this had happened and i was kinda sick and so i put a three quarter inch brass rod i had laying around down the spark plug hole and just whaled on it...kidding i tapped on it several times and the ring cout some carbon and compressed the ring and there she came just like a new born and man was i a happy to have a new born piston.....well now back to the bearings .these bearings are like 4 inches long and two and a eighth outside dia with a one and three quart bore with a thrust shoulder machined in one end for the crank to rub on and there a one peice babbit bearing with no way to take up slack.I have a little shake just enough to make me look in to it but i dont know if i want to make new ones .I thought about wrapping the outside of the bearing with thin shim stock and press the bearing back in and maybe get some resizing........please give me some ideas......on my newway ch 5hp