Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Needle valve seats

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1608 times

Old 08-02-2005, 04:48:20 PM
Registered-III

Question Needle valve seats

Ok, I see a lot of places that sell replacement needle valves. I have two engines, a 2hp Taylor Vacuum and a 2-1/2 hp Alamo blue line that both use the the same mixer. However, both have different needles on the mixer. The alamo has the "daisy flower" shaped knob and the Taylor has a knurled knob which I like better. The problem is that I can't find anybody that sells a needle short enough to fit this mixer. Additionally, I can't seem to find anybody that sells the needle valve seats for the mixers. What good is a new needle with an old worn out seat? I could probably continue using the old seat, but would like to replace both at the same time. So who carries the seats and who has a proper mixer needle for these engines? Thanks in advance.

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2005, 05:15:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Needle valve seats

Jabaroni, I don't believe that needle valve seats wear out enough to be a problem. As far as needle valves are concerned they are simple to make. Just find a bolt / screw the right lenth that you need and since most all the needle valves that I have ever seen have had either national coarse or national fine thread . Saw the head off , chuck it up in a drill press, turn it on and hold a file against the end until you get the point that you like. By doing it this way you get the point in the center. Then it is pretty easy to fabricate a knob for it and you have the needle that you need although it may not be nor look like the original. Joe Morris
Old 08-02-2005, 05:23:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Smile Re: Needle valve seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
Jabaroni, I don't believe that needle valve seats wear out enough to be a problem. As far as needle valves are concerned they are simple to make. Just find a bolt / screw the right lenth that you need and since most all the needle valves that I have ever seen have had either national coarse or national fine thread . Saw the head off , chuck it up in a drill press, turn it on and hold a file against the end until you get the point that you like. By doing it this way you get the point in the center. Then it is pretty easy to fabricate a knob for it and you have the needle that you need although it may not be nor look like the original. Joe Morris
Joe & Jabaroni:

That's the way I do it and it works for me !

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.ciom/~edurand