Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 5E61 Blues

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1952 times

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered-II

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Kohler 5E61 Blues

To All,
I enjoy this forum and love picking up little tidbits about toyZ that go putt putt. I am still looking for a manual for a Kohler 5E61 generator set. The unit is ready to run and I have it mechanically ready to go. Unfortunately I can not fathom the generator section of the unit. I would hate to start the engine and fry something by error.

I once worked on generators and always was given the warning about running a generator without a load. In short time the coils would fry from the buildup. I remember my first Delco three brush that fried, because I drove a tractor home without a battery. That was a lesson I remember well.

I am also afraid or killing myself by doing something natural. Some use the word stupid. This baby is 5KW and that may tend to singe fingers. Any information would be helpful. Remember to type slow. Some of us are not that smart.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Liked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts
Default Re: Kohler 5E61 Blues

Hi Charlie:

The 5E61 is 115/230V AC 3-Wire output, 5kVA max or 5kW with a resistive load.

Engine is the little flathead 4-cylinder, details are referenced from the large Kohler manual we have that covers lots of models, so we have to pick out your model from the rest.

The wiring diagram we can scan for you, it is two pages, one with the electrickery on it and the other with the text and information.

To be legible it needs to be a reasonable file size, so please confirm you can take a download of 200kb or so at your end.

This schematic information covers the following models:

3.5EF61, 5E61, 5EF61,
3.5E61, 3.5E61, 5EF61
Controllers: 243272-A and 243270-A

Peter
Old 09-22-2005, 08:56 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: Kohler 5E61 Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBiler
To All,
I enjoy this forum and love picking up little tidbits about toyZ that go putt putt. I am still looking for a manual for a Kohler 5E61 generator set. The unit is ready to run and I have it mechanically ready to go. Unfortunately I can not fathom the generator section of the unit. I would hate to start the engine and fry something by error.

I once worked on generators and always was given the warning about running a generator without a load. In short time the coils would fry from the buildup. I remember my first Delco three brush that fried, because I drove a tractor home without a battery. That was a lesson I remember well.

I am also afraid or killing myself by doing something natural. Some use the word stupid. This baby is 5KW and that may tend to singe fingers. Any information would be helpful. Remember to type slow. Some of us are not that smart.
Running AC generator without a load will not hurt a thing.
I do it all the time. What you want to watch in a vehical without a battey the voltage may go way high and take out things that are voltage sensitive, but I have seen this done on older cars with point type ignition without a problem. You have to be sure the loose battery cable, which is not grounded can not short to ground WHICH can overcurrent a generator and burn it out.

Kent
Closed Thread