Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Yard Pump Display

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2119 times

Old 08-07-2005, 09:22:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Yard Pump Display

I have just completed a pump and pumpjack setup to take to our county fair. I used a piece of 4" copper for the cylinder and mounted it under the pump in a wood platform that looks like a section of old weathered porch floor, it pumps into a small wood keg, and then recirculates back through. Everything works fine, but the platform ended up a lot higher off the ground than I would like to get the cylinder and other plumbing hidden under it. Does anyone hve any suggestions on a cylinder or some type of diaphram setup that I could use horizontally and save some space ? Also have to change the pump rod from vertical to horizontal pull. Looking for something inexpensive that could be adapted from some other use possibly, or construct from common materials.Any ideas ? Thank You--Roland
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 12:02:13 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Yard Pump Display

Roland can you post a pict.? What brand pump are you using? BobRR
Old 08-08-2005, 11:45:54 AM
Registered-III

Roland, here is what I did and how I did it.
I made a new cylinder that fits inside the pump housing out of Sch. 40 PVC pipe that protrudes through the floor of the base just enough to put a 90-degree elbow on the end. I did not glue this fitting so that I could take it apart if I needed to for future repairs. It is sandwiched between the floor of the base and the trailer so it can't come apart. I then put an off the shelf brass check valve, the same size as the pipe, horizontally between the elbow and the reservoir. I used a brass check valve because it had a much smaller o.d. than a plastic one. The check valve is situated to allow water to flow from the reservoir to the pump. Use the biggest pipe you can get inside the pump housing for the cylinder to get as much volume as possible per stroke. My assembly screws into the pump housing just below where the water comes out so in order to use the largest pipe possible I picked a PVC to male pipe thread fitting that I could turn down slightly to fit inside the pipe instead of over it like normal. The hardest part is making the pump leather & valve assembly. I ended up making my own pump leather (not difficult) but you can buy about any size you need. You want a full leather cup not just the outer ring. I used two fender washers that would fit inside the cup of the pump leather and a neoprene (rubber) washer of the same size. I turned down the end of the pump shaft to fit the washers and threaded it (you need a shoulder to clamp the leather assembly against). Next, I drilled 4 matching & evenly spaced holes as large as possible through the fender washers without getting to close to the edge (this is the seal area) or the center hole. I then used one of the fender washers as a guide to drill matching holes through the pump leather. The assembly order for the pump leather is fender washer; pump leather (cup down), fender washer, and neoprene washer. Make sure the holes are lined up so water can pass through the fender washers & pump leather. Put this assembly on the pump shaft and secure lightly with a lock nut (cup towards the lock nut and don't over tighten and deform the neoprene washer). The way this assembly works is that on the down stroke the bottom check valve is closed which forces water through the holes in the pump leather assembly and around the neoprene washer which flexes up and allows water to enter the cylinder. On the up stroke the neoprene washer flattens out and seals off the holes in the pump leather assembly and holds the water in for lifting and ejection out of the pump while the bottom check valve opens to allow more water to be sucked in behind the pump leather assembly as it rises for the next cycle. My entire base height ended up only being 3.25" with nothing protruding into or through the trailer floor.

Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
pump1.jpg  
Old 08-08-2005, 09:44:17 PM
Registered-III

Sorry, Bob, I don't have a working camera right now. Don't know how to post photos anyway. The pump is a Deming, made in Salem, Ohio. I used it just because the pump jack I have fit on it well. It is an Eccentric Lift made in Ephrata, Pa. It mounts on top of the pump and has 2 eccentric gears that revolve inside a band to provide the stroke. The whole set up now stands about 6-1/2 feet tall, so that is why I was trying to come up with a lower setup--Jamie, I have my piece of copper pipe up in the base as far as I can get it, but it is 4" dia. so that limits me a lot. Sounds like you used 1-1/2 pipe and put the cup washer in that. I went with the larger cylinder to get more volume, but I may have to try your method next time. Thanks for your replys--Roland
Old 08-09-2005, 01:16:37 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Looks like Jamie has a good set up!.Roland Sure sounds like a neat jack! What kind of stroke does it have?I think it would be easyer to make a new cylinder then try and make a offset to drive the piston? I have a 2 1/2in.myers piston for mine, just have to come up with some 2 1/2" pipe for the cyl.it will fit inside the pump(Myers) so wont be any taller then sitting on the ground.Just will need a little room for the pickup and feed line.Let us know how ya make out.I can send ya some pict. of mine as I work on it. right now most of it is in electrolysis till I find a piece of pipe for cyl.BobRR
Old 08-09-2005, 01:39:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

I found a 12" x 2" well cylinder with 1 1/4 pipe connections on both ends. I had to redo the bottom check valve with a fender washer and some rubber sheeting I had laying around. The well cylinder fit completely into the Mast & Foos pump I'm using. I used 1" plastic drain piping with the plastic seals to connect from the bottom of the pump to the bucket. A quick twist and it's loose and drained. I don't get a large volume of water with the 2" cylinder and 7" stroke, but it's enough for a nice working display .
Attached Thumbnails
PUMPEND1.JPG