Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Belt engines up to each other?

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1972 times

Old 08-08-2005, 09:11:18 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,934 Times in 516 Posts
Photo Belt engines up to each other?

Welp, I'm gettin ready to try something new. I've belt engines up to tractors before to get them going but never an engine to another engine.

Don't have a tractor handy here in my garage so I thought I would belt the 8HP Badger up to the 8 HP IH Victor to get the new rings broke in and to loosen the engine up alittle. Here's a pic of what I'm up to. What do you guys think? Will it work? Can't do anymore tonight but hopefully tomorrow I'll fire up the Badger and see if it works I'll post what happens

Tom Winland
Ohio
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-642S.JPG   MVC-643S.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 09:37:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Exclamation Re: Belt engines up to each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Winland
Welp, I'm gettin ready to try something new. I've belt engines up to tractors before to get them going but never an engine to another engine. Tom Winland Ohio
Tom:

Unless your engine is REALLY tight, you shouldn't have to belt it up to get it to start.

All I've ever done for the first start is to make sure the timing's set a little slow, there's a good plug (ignitor) and electrics and it's getting gas.

Most of the time, all I gotta do is throw the flywheel over a few times and off she goes.

Anyhoo, I wish you luck with the belt arrangement. Just stand outta the way when you let-in the clutch!

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Belt engines up to each other?

Looks really dangerous- if the belt slips off the red flywheel towards the inside it's going to get caught in there, and there's going to be a train wreck of two engines flying toward each other propelled by 8 horsepower.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:00:49 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Belt engines up to each other?

I doubt the belt will stay on the flywheel. But, other than that all I've got to say is stand back and LET ER RIP TATER CHIP
Old 08-08-2005, 11:22:38 PM
Registered-II

Tom

with no crown on the flywhell the belt is sure to come off... Are you trying to break that nose again?

Sharon
Old 08-09-2005, 12:54:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Belt engines up to each other?

Tom: I wouldn't do it . Sure looks like an engine or two getting wrecked if the belt slips off the flywheel and gets caught between the flywheel and the base of the IHC engine. Something will surely move in the wrong direction tward each other. Sure would not like to see either engine broke as things happen real fast when they happen . Then it's all over just as fast with a big pile of IHC and Badger parts co-mingled on the garage floor with you underneath them . We need you here on Harry's. Torque is TORQUE, and that's my $5.00 input.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:53:43 AM
Registered-III

hmmmmm $8000 engine vs. $10000 engine, who will win tune into tonight to find out!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53:46 AM
Registered-III

If the belt slips off either of the two pulleys, it will automatically slacken the tension and thus begin to slip on the clutch pulley. I've had this happen in a gristmill that I used to work in. I have also seen people take a running engine and a non running engine and belt the two to each other in exactly this same manner to polish the faces of the flywheels. No problems there either. Now, if they were running at rated speed, there might be some concern, but at a slow speed just to seat the rings and especially with the fuel shut off on the red engine, I don't really see any problems as any slack will just make everything stop and not *Kaboom* as if it were a chain. Just my $0.02
Old 08-09-2005, 09:34:45 AM
Registered-III

I DEFINETLY WOULDN'T DO IT, Tom..especially off the flywheel. You should see my wreck and still haven't got it fixed yet. Straightening the crankshaft was my biggest worry, and still not sure if it's acceptable.

I go with Elden

They stop VERY fast

RickinMt.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:08:19 AM
Registered-III

I wouldn't do it!
In one of these sites a couple of days ago, someone had posted a picture of 2 engines belted together, the belt had caught under itself, overtightened everything and pulled the crankshaft out of the crankcase on one of the engines. Heck of a mess.

Good luck.
Graham
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20:03 AM
Registered-III

If you just want to turn the motor over for a while a couple thoughts come to mind. A 1HP or so electric motor and some kind of temporay pulley. The really cool setup I saw being used to start speedway motorcycles was basically a minibike engine, clutch, chain and rear wheel on a cart. Push the minibike tire into the flywheel, crank the throttle and spin away.

keithw
Old 08-09-2005, 01:41:43 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Winland
Welp, I'm gettin ready to try something new. I've belt engines up to tractors before to get them going but never an engine to another engine.

Don't have a tractor handy here in my garage so I thought I would belt the 8HP Badger up to the 8 HP IH Victor to get the new rings broke in and to loosen the engine up alittle. Here's a pic of what I'm up to. What do you guys think? Will it work? Can't do anymore tonight but hopefully tomorrow I'll fire up the Badger and see if it works I'll post what happens

Tom Winland
Ohio
Tom--I buy broken engines---let me know--d,j,
Old 08-09-2005, 02:31:51 PM
Registered-III

Tom, maybe it would help those responding if you would state why it is necessary to belt the engine up to another to get it started. In other words why is it " stiff " as far as turning it to crank it. I agree with those who say it is dangerous useing the engine to engine method. I once saw a man who almost lost a leg from a belt slipping off of a 1.5 lb to another engine . Just a thought on safety and avoiding accidents. Joe Morris
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58:31 PM
Registered-III

Tom:: Pretty much you got a ..I Would"nt responce..Surely this Question was a test....How did we do!! Byron
Old 08-09-2005, 04:09:31 PM
Administrator

Thanked 8,995 Times in 1,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Strobel
You should see my wreck and still haven't got it fixed yet. Straightening the crankshaft was my biggest worry, and still not sure if it's acceptable.
Show them your photos Rick.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:27:44 PM
Banner Sponsor

Hi guys,

I need to spin the engine over for awhile because it will fire but not hard enough to run because there is still too much blow by past the new rings and the engine is still stiff because who knows how long it has been since it has ran and probably has some drag from the new over size rings in it along with big heavy flywheels it wears me out fast turning em . I went from 500 thousands wide rings to 625 thousands wide which is alot of ring surface to cause drag till they get broke in alittle.

Hope this gives some reasons as too why I'm looking to spin it for awhile, I'll probably latch out the exhaust and let it spin it for awhile.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19:25 PM
Registered-III

tom,i have had the same problem in the past.rebuild engine new rings,main/rod brg a little on the tight side.engine kinda hard to turn over,very little compression until rings and things loosen up a little.what i do is mount engine on a 2x12'"x 5' board then i put a large pulley on crank shaft of engine find and old 2-3hp compressor motor belt it up to large pulley plug it in and let the electric motor run in you engine.i use a 18" pulley from a bush hog then i put a 2" pulley on aircompressor motor.it will turn about 90-150 rpm plenty to break in your rings/bearings.after engine turns over easy.put in spark plug.ad gas and your ready.when engine fires up unplug electric motor.leave it hooked up electric motor will just free wheel. that the safest way the i know of.-chuck
Old 08-09-2005, 05:37:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts

The concern I have is your cross over. As the ebngines are so close, the cross over is really tight. It may cause the belt to ride off your red engine flywheel, and or the stitchine links may snag and cause the belt to self destruct. If you do decide to do this, you really do not want to be anywheres near the belt. A number of years ago, I had a kid throw stones into the hopper of a corn grinder, behind my back. I heard a noise, and turned toward it, only to see that the grinder was no longer where I put it. Almost instantly after, I heard a loud thump, turned the other way, and saw the gringed and my 2 HP Detroit Engine Works engine locked together at the belt! A freind was video taping the engine show, and caught the whole thing on tape - He was so frightened at what he had seen, he actually had a mild heart attack, and was taken to the hospital. He later showed me the tape. What he saw was that the instant the belt pulley stopped on the grinder, due to the stones, the belt torque pulled in the grinder, and the belt then looped under the engine pully and wrapped around it, pulling the gtinder into the engine. The loud thump I heard was the eelt running out of slack as the pulleys met, and luckily the engine stopped. I had been less than an inch away from being hit by the grinder as it flew past, when i was turning around.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09:01 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Belt engines up to each other?

Good news, test run went off without a hitch tonight. Ran it for about 10 minutes then had to go in the house for the night. Going to let her run for awhile tomorrow night

Tom Winland
Ohio