Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gas Tank Pinholes

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2234 times

Old 08-10-2005, 05:12:13 PM
Registered-III

Question Gas Tank Pinholes

Ok guys...............

I finally have my Thermoil jacked up off the base and I've got the fuel tank out of the base. At one end near the bottom seam the tank has been dented and the galvanized coating has flaked away. In that area I've got some rust and a few pin holes. The rest of the tank looks in excellent condition and seem dry and clean inside and out.

Question.........Do you think that I can clean the rust away with a wire wheel and apply a couple coats of "Seal-all" and get away with it? I've used this stuff before on gas cans and little tanks for a lawn mower, but I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion.

The tank will hold kerosene and/or diesel fuel. I don't want to appear that I'm taking the easy way out and believe me if this repair was anywhere except hidden in the base I would go the long way around.........
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2005, 09:32:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Gas Tank Pinholes

If I were you and had the tank out I would do the surest fix and that would be to buy some Kreem gas tank sealer and line the tank with it. It is available at most all motorcycle shops. Seal all is good but it has its limits because in effect it is something like trying to stop a leak in a water hose with tape due to the water coming from inside and so the same thing with fuel , it is hard to stop it since it is coming from the inside / under the tape, in your case the Seal All. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

If it were mine I would clean real good. Then those pin holes will most likley be nail holes Make a large patch and solder over the area then use cream.Make sure and flush tank with water before soldering.BobRR
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29:47 PM
Registered-III

You can see what BobRR is talking about in my earlier post for the 3HP vert Famous finished. Those were barely visable pin holes before clean up. The patches have held up OK about seven or eight years now.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:47:37 PM
eMail NOT Working

I would use fiberglass resin on the out side. Sets up fast and gas will not affect it. I have used it with no problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51:04 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I would use Kwik Poly. It's a two part urethane that will dry in 3 minutes. You can put multiple coats on or pour it 1/4" deep in the bottom if you want to.
If there are holes, just put tape over them and pour it in. When I say dries in 3 minutes, I'm not kidding. You just pour equal parts into a container, shake it around or stir, and pour it in. Kevin
Old 08-11-2005, 07:07:19 AM
Registered-III

Kevin,

Kwik Poly hasn't been around for a while now. The name was changed and so was the formula. I think the new name was XP2000. It doesn't work like it used to. I would go with John's advice and use the fiberglass resin. My Dad repaired a JD 3hp fuel tank with fiberglass resin and it is still holding after almost 25 years. Either that or just put a new tank on it and save yourself the hassle of it weeping or seeping in a few years.

John,
Have you used the fiberglass resin before? If so how did you prep the tank and apply the resin? Could you please explain your process?

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
Old 08-11-2005, 08:10:41 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Gas Tank Pinholes

I repaired a model T Ford gas tank once that had a number of pinholes in the bottom. I placed masking tape on the outside and sloshed POR-15 sealer (check their website) then drained. This product dries in about 24 hours to a very hard but still somewhat flexible coating and seals some pretty big holes forever. The tank never leaked a drop. POR-15 is about $13.00 for the small pint can, but the upside is that you can do several tanks. It more than pays for itself in avoiding frustration.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:26:06 AM
Registered-III

If they are just pin holes you can just solder them, I did this on my 1 1/2 IM M. If they're larger that pin holes try JB Weld and some window screen, like a body & fender patch. I used that method on a JD B 11 years ago, it's still holding.

John F in MD
Old 08-11-2005, 08:40:57 AM
Registered-III

This is what I use and have had good results. It's a single pak so there's no mixing and one can reuse it.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...01050969uKwoCf

Good Luck
RickinMt
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

My 3 cents worth (inflation! ) is to go to one of Harry's sponsors and get a can of their tank sealer. Lee Pedersen is one guy here who sells the good stuff.

Just get rid of the major crud in the tank, get the tank good and dry, tape over the holes, pour the sealer in and slosh it around. Then, pour the remaining sealer (most of it) back into the can for another time.

Works like a champ!

I used the same stuff for some loose rust and pin holes in the tank of my '50 Chevy when I repowered it with a Diesel. The tank never leaked a drop in 200,000 miles and 20 years!

Take care - Elden
htto://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24:16 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Andreasen
I repaired a model T Ford gas tank once that had a number of pinholes in the bottom. I placed masking tape on the outside and sloshed POR-15 sealer (check their website) then drained. This product dries in about 24 hours to a very hard but still somewhat flexible coating and seals some pretty big holes forever. The tank never leaked a drop. POR-15 is about $13.00 for the small pint can, but the upside is that you can do several tanks. It more than pays for itself in avoiding frustration.
I'm going with George in this one!
I NEVER saw ANYTHING that WORKS like POR-15!!
And it bonds to tight rust...a chain flopped around in the tank for a while will remove the lose rust.
When that stuff cures it's a tough as the iron....I tested it.
You can't hardly break it and it DOES seal pin holes---just put some duct tape over the offending holes and you're DONE.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:31:13 PM
Registered-III

Wink Re: Gas Tank Pinholes

Well...............................

I just came in from the garage and cleaned up a bit to read all the good advice and I thank you all...............................

The tank is so clean except for the one area at the end of the tank when it got smacked. I wire brushed it real it clean last night and brushed two coats of Seal-All on the end over the pinholes. Then this morning I poured a liberal coating of the same stuff on the brushed layers from the nite before and let it cure in the sun while I went that darned job. The seam edges are woking in my favor on this one and form a "dam" around the pinholes.

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna pour another layer on if it's cured and tomorrow night I'm gonna reinstall the tank. Wish me luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:21:22 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Luke, You're right about the XP2OOO thing, but I recently bought some from the maker under the old name. Apparently there was a fracus between ex partners and the XP guy is breaking the law. If you look now, you can't find it anywhere on the web. The quik poly is hard to find on the web, but I have a phone number and information from the guy who produces it. It works fabulous. Anybody interested I'll dig up the number.
IT ALSO STABILIZES ROTTED WOOD! Just pour it on. It soaks in like water and is dry and hard in 3 minutes. I first used it in 1986 to repair broken horse hooves. (no joke) Great Stuff! Kevin
Old 08-12-2005, 01:53:38 AM
Registered-III

The POR-15 tank sealer is like nothing else. Much better than any of the rubbery sealers. Properly applied it will last forever, and it will stick to the rust spots like nothing else. It resembles gray paint, but is high tech stuff that ends up hard like an epoxy. Takes a little longer than a day to fully cure. Had some left over so I poured it onto my plywood work bench a year ago. Not designed for that but worked great.