Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Webster Mag Output Concern

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2402 times

Old 08-10-2005, 05:53:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Webster Mag Output Concern

I have a 1.5hp Hercules engine with a one magnet Webster magneto - low tension type. Sometimes, with great effort I get it started, no crank, just pulling on the flywheels until I pass out.
The other day, when it was acting up, I connected a batter and coil to it and it fired up right away. Then I reconnected the magneto and it ran fine.
**** My theory is the magneto may be weak and not putting out the proper voltage: Enough to keep it running, but not enough to start it. Would getting it remagnetized solve the start up problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: Webster Mag Output Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herd
I have a 1.5hp Hercules engine with a one magnet Webster magneto - low tension type. Sometimes, with great effort I get it started, no crank, just pulling on the flywheels until I pass out.
The other day, when it was acting up, I connected a batter and coil to it and it fired up right away. Then I reconnected the magneto and it ran fine.
**** My theory is the magneto may be weak and not putting out the proper voltage: Enough to keep it running, but not enough to start it. Would getting it remagnetized solve the start up problem?
Tom:

Your problem could be weak magnets but also could be too little "cocking" of the mag before it trips. Also, the bearings in the mag could be loose. Also, the hammer adjustment could be off.

The hammer adjustment is the screw that the mag arm hits on the ignitor. There should be just a little clearance (.015" or so) when the mag is at rest. If there is too much clearance, the mag has passed it's maximum current point before the ignitor contacts open. If too little clearance, the opposite happens.

Good luck and remember that this advice is worth perzackly whatcher payin' fer it.

Take care - Elden
Old 08-12-2005, 08:13:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Webster Mag Output Concern

Tom,
Has it always been this way?
I was having starting problems with a Webster/Ignitor Stover and found that the "fixed" contact wasn't tight and it had turned slightly. After checking the outside adjustments as Elden has suggested take the ignitor assembly out and have a look at what's going on with them. Also, you could have some carbon build up that's trying to short out across the mica insulator tube or washers.

Thanks Harry