Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Mag booster??

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2153 times

Old 08-11-2005, 10:20:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Mag booster??

I have a mag that two folks have been through--it is supposed to be good--well it ain;t!!!--I have read/heard somewhere that sometimes even at the factory--they boosted a mag with a battery--then cut out the batt and let the tractor run on the mag---this tractor will run if belted up to start--it runs fine--but darned if you can start it by hand--everyting is correct ---fuel--compression-timeing--and a decent spark/ but weak---can anybody shed some light on wxactly how to do this??
thanks d,j,--
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 10:49:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Mag booster??

D.J. What are you working on? BobRR
Old 08-11-2005, 11:27:08 PM

Thanked 17,701 Times in 5,299 Posts

They didn't BOOST the mag----the mag had two sets of points. One for battery ignition starting and the other for normal mag operation and are not normally impulse magnetos. They are VERY hard to find and when you DO find one------be prepared to take out a loan....
Is this an IMPULSE magneto? IF it IS.....somebody goofed.......
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51:23 PM
Card Sponsor

The mag that Craig is talking about is for example a Bosch DU-4 Duplex. They had two sets of points, one for battery and one for the mag. These are very nice mags, built in New York City around 1905. Usually made out of solid brass, very pricey. If you want to start the tractor on the mag, replace the shuttle wound coil and charge the magnets on a HEAVY DUTY CHARGER.when repaired right they work very well. The problem is that parts are hard too find and expensive, but don't expect wonders with a PATCHED mag.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45:30 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson
They didn't BOOST the mag----the mag had two sets of points. One for battery ignition starting and the other for normal mag operation and are not normally impulse magnetos. They are VERY hard to find and when you DO find one------be prepared to take out a loan....
Is this an IMPULSE magneto? IF it IS.....somebody goofed.......
Gee, I wonder if this is what one of my mystery magnetos is ?? Rudy's post may negate this but let's see .....

I bought a whole satchel full of magnetos from an estate. One of them is a Bosch, made in New York, ZR-4 Dual Model 4. It has a 24 tooth spiral tooth gear aprox 2-1/" to 3" diameter and no impulse. It has a second set of points in a housing that is below the so-called normal points housing. It rotates with the advance lever, along with the regular points housing.

The mag is all brass/bronze except for the upper housing on the drive end which is aluminum and this housing has a two hole insulator with the holes numbered 3 and 4. When the magneto is turned, these holes have spark even though no battery is hooked up. Perhaps someone can provide some info.

I don't know if it will help D.J. or not but if you have a Bosch DU-4 and it has a weak spark, clean the points with a touch of garnet paper followed by several wipes of a clean business card. Carefully remove the brush and wipe any oil from the collector ring and re-install the brush. Give each oil hole a drop or two of oil, but not too much or too often. If it still doesn't work, clean the points again.

I may do this 3 or 4 times and it usually does the trick but... I've seen the points foul themselves soon after an otherwise perfectly good mag sat for week or two. I don't know why....perhaps there is a slightly corrosive atmosphere inside the mag itself that caused all the problems to begin with....?????) Heck, it is easy to do, but ya' gotta be absolutely clean. I don't touch the paper with my fingers, at all, where it will contact the points.

These mags are about the hottest of the old mags that I have encountered. I've fixed about a dozen DU-4's and never found a bad coil yet. That doesn't mean they don't exist but my experience is that these mags throw such a hot spark that testing them results in little puffs of residual smoke if there is any debris on the test wire!! If they didn't have a spark safety gap, there's no telling how long a spark they would jump! Very impressive, always.....I usually ground them out so I don't get "surprised" any more when hand carrying them.

Oh yeah, I am ver-r-r-r-y careful about noting how the magnets are installed and never fail to use keepers- one per magnet.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56:43 AM
Registered-III

Question Re: Mag booster??

Since you guys know volumes more than me about Bosch high tension magnetos, I have a quick question. Can parts from a non working DU4 be swapped with a DU6 to make the DU6 into a DU4? My concern is with maybe the impulse? If it can't be done, just let me know.

~Keith
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07:03 PM
Subscriber

I goofed--the Mag I have is a KW-hi-bar----two cylinder ---it was sent out twice-and costs a bunch ea time--it is still not up to anywhere it should be--I cannot name the repair fellows here, and won;t, after all they are just human--I just need this mag to work--like I said--if I belt it up it is fine--if I get lucky and someone comes over that is a bit stronger than the average gorilla, it may??? start by hand --operative word--MAY??? I am thinking gitting rid of the hi-bar and useing something else!
thanks d,j,
Old 08-12-2005, 03:58:14 PM

DJ----the KW Highbars are some of the hottest mags out there!!
MAYBE your "repair" people did a bum job!
Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the magnets are in good shape?
Even a good thunderstorm can knock the magetism out of the magnets.
MY FIRST move be to have the magnets recharged and placed back on the mag WITHOUT BREAKING THE FIELD!!!! It's not as hard it you think. Put a heavy steel plate along SIDE the horsehoe and slide the magnets down on the mag.
When the points are closed you should feel a significant drag on the armature. If you don't....start with the magnets.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:51:17 PM
Subscriber

Craig---I have a magnet charger--how do I charge the magnets on this HI-bar mag-W/O taking them off the mag?-charge them and then put them back on???--had this charger a long time--never did really know how to use it--? quick shot at charge?--leave them on charge for 1/2 minute?-what??--charge the whole mag--or just the magnets--just never really done it,
d,j,
Old 08-12-2005, 08:03:27 PM

You must remove the magnets. The following gets VERY confusing as to determining polarity!
With a compass find all the like poles and MARK them bearing in mind that North on the compass is REALLY South on the magnet. Same for determining the poles on your charger. When you are ready to charge you will want, starting from one pole on the charger, North on the charger to South on the magnet.
Magnetizing is almost instantaneous but a couple good 10 second jolts should do the trick. SOME gently tap the magnet with a hammer during the charge to "help" line up the molecules. It makes sense to me and I do it.
Anyway, I had a magneto to repair and put the magnet on the charger and goosed it. As I wasn't going to have the parts I needed for a couple days I just left the magnet "glued" to the charger. When I got the needed parts I went to pull the magnet off of the charger and couldn't BELIEVE how strong a field it had! I had all I could do to get it moved to a keeper.
I would charge each magnet separately.
If you aren't POSITIVE about the above DON'T do it! Magnets can get screwed up too!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:07:42 PM
Subscriber

Yes, I have my charger marked for the north-south bit--and I knew that you put the magnets on opposite--what you described is how I have been doing it--[not on this mag yet]--I was thinking I needed to chg while on the magneto--I did not want to do that--do you put a keeper on the magnet while it is on the charger-? or put it on just as the magnet is taken off the charger--and slide it off when the magnets are installed?other that hardly no charge at all! how do you determine if a magnet is charged enough?? or if it is as much as it wil;l take--you would think these two fellows would have charged the dam things--but now I have no choice but to try-how about cleaning the magnets before charging? wire brush? scraper?sand? anything?
d,j,
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09:29 PM
Registered-III

Well, You can run a battery on the primary of the mag if you wanted to. I have actually done this and it works really good. You will want to get the right voltage source and also disconect the mag from the battery once the engine starts.

Forrest