Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Two horse sattley 500 rpm s/n 2412

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1086 times

Old 08-11-2005, 11:30:46 PM
Registered

Default Two horse sattley 500 rpm s/n 2412

I have a two horse sattley that will not run. I changed the condenser in the wico mac and charged the magnets now have a nice blue spark. The spark does not appear when it is supposed to. I would guess somewhere around top dead center. I do not have any information on what the timing should be. I have two solid flywheels, wico mag, carb on the side. The spark plug is new and on the side of the head about two o'clock position, half inch pipe thread on plug. This engine has never run for me. I have had it for about two months. I can see one mark on the timing gear but none on the flywheel. Can someone please help me with this onery engine. Thanks in advance.
walt.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 04:44:29 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Two horse sattley 500 rpm s/n 2412

My experience has been that the mark on the cam of Nelson Engines (they built most Sattleys) means nothing, sorry. They used the same cam and gear on many engines but if you have disk style flywheels you more then likely have a Model T or U engine. Look for the serial number stamped on the flywheel and it should have a letter preceding it, that’s your model. The mark may have meaning on one of the early model engines but on the UA I have it doesn't seem to correspond with anything. If you have good spark but you can’t adjust it by using the nuts on the threaded shaft to fire near top dead center I’d suspect that your cam is out of time with your crankshaft. I know I bought my engine as a pile of parts on a pallet and when I was assembling it I figured the little triangle aligns with the keyway on the crank. No such luck. After several weeks of trying to start my engine, a friend of mine and I finally came up with the plan that I’ve detailed in the pdf I’m attaching to this message. Print the pdf out and read it over. Sit down with your engine with the spark plug out for ease of flywheel rotation and watch the movement of your exhaust valve in relation to your crankshaft position. The valve should begin to open at bottom dead center and close at top dead center. If it’s not doing that you will need to re time your cam like is outlined in the pdf. Then re adjust the nuts on the shaft so the mag fires right about top dead center when the timing retard lever is in the start position. The engine should start with it set up this way. You may end up wanting to adjust the ignition timing to fire a little before TDC but to get ya running and avoid any backfires stick with TDC to begin with.

Good luck and let us know how this worked out for ya!

Thanks Harry!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:50:48 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Two horse sattley 500 rpm s/n 2412

Ok, well I thought I was attaching a pdf. It seems that as I've attached it to a previous post, it won't let me attach it here. Search in the archives for posts by me or for the topic Nelson Brothers Timming and you should find the document. If you can't find it I will e'mail it to you.

Hank