Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Can Flywheel be straightened?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1720 times

Old 08-12-2005, 10:50:01 AM
Registered-III

Unhappy Can Flywheel be straightened?

I have a 1 1/2 horse Stover model KE that the flywheel is bent it is one the off side of engine (pulley side not mag side) My question is can the flywheel be straightened or do I need another one? I have posted a want ad to see if there may be one available. All help appreciated.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 10:58:55 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: Can Flywheel be straightened?

We have run into this before and I have NO CLUE how it happens.
There are two options ASSUMING it IS the flywheel and NOT the crankshaft.
Chuck the flywheel so it runs straight, bore it out slightly and make a thin split steel sleeve.
The other is build up the bore and re-bore it.
The construction of the flywheel is important when building up the bore as too much heat might cause some nasty, and not completely unexpected, results if not done carefully.
There IS a third option---finding another flywheel.......
Craig
Old 08-12-2005, 11:31:15 AM
Sponsor

I wouldn't chance it, Dave. Find another flywheel. It shuldn't be that hard to find. As Craig suggests, make sure it isn't the crankshaft.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

Well, this is the way that I have done it, which may not be the safest or smartest way to do it, but it has worked for me twice. I had a 3-5 IHC LB that I was working on, and after getting the engine all back together, I realised that the flywheel had been bent pretty bad. It had almost 3/4 in. of wobble in it. What I did was rotate the flywheel so that the part that was bent in was parallel with the block as close as it would come. Then I took a short 5/8in. bolt, ran a nut on it, and placed one end of the bolt against the block, and the other end against the flywheel. Then I ran the nut out until it made the bolt tight between the flywheel and the block and started turning the nut with a wrench so it pushed the flywheel rim away from the block, which caused it to bend back into place. I had to do this in several different spots to get it strait, but in the end it did work as I got it under 1/8 in. wobble. I also used this method on my 2 1/2 H.P. Stover W as the flywheel was bent in it, and it also worked well.

I am not suggesting that anyone should try this method, as it could cause other parts of the engine to break or bend, so if you want to try it, it's up to you. I am just saying that is what I have done with bent flywheels, and it works for me.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:24:31 PM
Sponsor

Tanner, it looks like you were straightening the crankshaft, not the flywheel.
Generally a cast iron flywheel will crack or break before it will bend. It is conceivable that internal stress relief over the years might cause a flywheel to warp, but what you usually find is that the more ductile crankshaft has been bent due to trauma to the flywheel. My favorite is when somebody runs a chain thru the spokes of both flywheels and then tries to lift the engine with this setup. I can almost guarantee that this will bend the crankshaft.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40:16 PM
Subscriber

Harvey,

It WAS the flywheel, I checked the Crank. Although on the Stover the Crank AND the flywheel was bent
Old 08-12-2005, 03:31:16 PM
Registered-III

well I have found a major problem. THe flywheel is cracked so no need to worry about the straightening part. Just got to find another one. If anyone has one for sale please let me know. Thanks again for the advice.

Dave
Old 08-12-2005, 03:45:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Dave try hit&miss. site sponser.BobRR
Old 08-12-2005, 04:53:10 PM
Registered-I

When You Get That Flywheel Off--be Sure To Put An Indicator On The Crank And Check To See If It's Bent. The 1" Diameter Cranks Stover Had Back Then Was Not One Of Their Better Ideas. Pretty Flimsy To Say The Least. If The Flywheel Is Broken You Can Almost Be Sure The Shaft Is Bent. My Three Cents Worth.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08:29 PM
Registered-III

Well, since your flywheel is already cracked, I would go ahead and strighten the crank while its still on there! I've done this several times with great results. I use a porta-power with the sissor attachment. to push the flywheel. I use a pencil or pen, find where the flywheel is clostest to the base. Then, with a small piece of 1X4 on either side of the sissor attachment and start pumping! SLOWLY! when you have noticed that it has moved a little remove the sissor, turn the engine thru and re-check the bent crank. You will have to do this several times to get all of the bend out of it. Just take it slow and easy! Now, not to say that you would never break anything by doing this, BECAUSE its VERY possiable that you could! But I know its worked great for me. A flywheel CANT be bent. maybe .010 or .015 tho warp, but it would be hard to see by the naked eye!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:06:22 PM
Sponsor

Tanner, the L series had a thin disk web in their flywheels so it WOULD be more susceptible to bending/warping....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:20:07 PM
Subscriber

Yeah Harvey, it kind of supprised me to see that it was bent and not broke.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:07:34 AM
Registered-III

You might also try Mr. Ken Meeks. He is also a sight sponsor and a gentleman.