Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Setting a 3 hp Fairbanks Butterfly valve

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1519 times

Old 08-13-2005, 09:08:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Setting a 3 hp Fairbanks Butterfly valve

I have a 1919 Fairbanks Morse 3 horsepower Throttle governed engine, it uses the AB-33 Magneto, I first got it to run sometime ago, at first gas would drip out of the front of the mixer, i did a little playing with the butterfly setting and finally got it to run off the start side of the carb pretty good, my problem is I finally put gas in the tank and now it either refuses to run at all or it runs as if it is not getting enough fuel no matter how far you turn the other needle valve out, I would really like to get this engine to run better, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to properly set the butterfly valve or other things I should try
Thanks,
~ Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2005, 10:10:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Setting a 3 hp Fairbanks Butterfly valve

If it runs on the starting needle and not on the tank needle could you have a problem with the tank fuel line? Perhaps the screen is plugged or the check valve at the bottom of the fuel line is plugged or the ball is not seating or non-existent.

I suppose you are able to shut off the starting needle when switching to the tank. Maybe your tank side needle valve/ seat is plugged????

These are pretty simple mixers. I wouldn't hesitate removing, cleaning and inspecting it, although I have not tried to remove the extreme internal parts such as the starting seat/suction pipe assembly and wouldn't do so unless I had to.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08:00 PM
Subscriber

Try stretching the spring on the air valve. I had the same problem and it worked for me.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:08:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Martz
Try stretching the spring on the air valve. I had the same problem and it worked for me.
If the suction (air) valve is anything like the one on my ZC-52, you can make it adjustable.

Tap the cast-iron cover plate to 1/4-28. Now, take a 1/4-28 bolt and cut it a little longer than the original pin. If you run out of thread, run a die over the unthreaded end far enough to jam a nut on it to hold the spring. You might want to grind the nut down so it doesn't act like more of a choke. This end goes to the inside. Now, take a hacksaw and file a slot in the outer end of the bolt.

With the spring slipped over the bolt, slip the valve washer on the bolt and screw the slotted end into the back of the cover plate and fit a locknut on the outside.

If you're close with your spring tension, you can adjust the bolt for best slow speed running. The needle valve sets the high speed (acceleration) mixture. You will have to go back and forth between the needle and spring adjustments several times to get them balanced but, when you do get 'em balanced, your engine will idle smoothly and will also accelerate to high speed without having to make any adjustments to the mixer.

Take care - Elden
Old 08-17-2005, 06:54:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanks,
to those who replied to my post I am going to try to mess with the spring on the air valve plate, could the plate its self be a factor? the plate which is on it now is made of soft aluminum, the one i ordered from hit and miss was steel, i will try to mess with this engine again this weekend and see what happens
~ Jonathan