Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

1 Cylinder Diesel Yanmar?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 48518 times

Old 08-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1 Cylinder Diesel Yanmar?

Friday I was at the Northern Indiana Steam and Gas Engine show in Lagrange Indiana. It is a great show if you ever have a chance to take it in. While there I noticed at least 3 lawn tractors such as JD 110 or 112, and a Wheel Horse. They were all powered by a small 1 cylinder diesel engine with a flywheel about 10 or 12 inches in diameter. I asked one of the operaters what the make of engine was and they said they were made by Yanmar. I did a google search, and even looked on Ebay, but did not come up with anything. Does anyone know anything about these engines? I bought a 112 JD a few weeks ago, and would like to do something like this with it, so would like to find one of these engines.

Any information would be appreciated.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Subscriber

Liked 761 Times in 462 Posts
Default Re: 1 Cylinder Diesel Yanmar?

Yanmar makes a lot of single cylinder Diesels. Assuming it was air cooled, it may have been a L75E or L90E, which, I guess are around 7.5 and 9 HP engines. They also make the 1GM10, which is around 8HP, I think.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Liked 2,638 Times in 1,359 Posts

For considerably less than a Yanmar, there is the Changfa type engine from China that has proven itself for dependability by being the engine of choice to run small generators in Third World areas. I understand they can be field maintained in even the harshest and most primitive conditions. This particular 6-1/2hp engine was for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $400 (+shipping) - brand new and even comes with a spare set of rings & rod bearings and tools. I have no connection to the seller, and the auction has ended, but I'm sure you can find something similar from any number of sellers.

Have fun,
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These engines were liquid cooled, and had a small radiater. This Chinese engine looks very simular to the one I saw.

Greg
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Subscriber

Liked 761 Times in 462 Posts

These look like Chinese copies of the Yanmar TF70 engine, or the Kubota RK70 or EA400. All about 7 HP, horizontal cylinder, water cooled. I have a genset with the RK70 and it's a sweet little engine. There have been some surplus Kubotas on eBay lately, though none at the moment.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered-II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: 1 Cylinder Diesel Yanmar?

I am considering building a boat, 17'-10" TUG BOAT style. There are TONS of plans available to do such, and many suggest the YANMAR DIESEL. One can make a great INBOARD set up with such. It appears these engines are very popular in small boats. I have always liked TUG BOATS, and may just own one soon.

Any boat builders on this site?

Thanks,

Dale
Indy
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dale, I have been trying to locate one of those 1 cyl yanmars for similar projects. I narrowly missed getting a very nice jay benford mini-tug with a yanmar 15 hp or so diesel in it. Just google Jay Benford and enjoy. If I was going to build a mini-tug that's what I'd go for. [IMG][/IMG]

Well, there she is, sigh...

Tom
Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 AM

Liked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts

Perhaps your Google was having an off day? :-))

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&____=

889,000 hits for Yanmar.

http://www.yanmar.com is the USA end of the business.

Their claim about the world's first commercially viable small diesel is a little bit suspect!

Peter
Old 02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been running a Yanmar 240D tractor for 26 years, and other than it bein a cold blooded little sucker when it comes to starting, I just might give you an argument on Yanmar quality.

Check the engine manufacture in most small Deer John equipment, including backhoes, and you'll find Yanmar.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Back when I was an import tractor dealer in the 90's, the JinMa plant (I think) made a little 18hp 4wd deisel tractor. We had a couple in stock, but they were just a little too "out there" for our market. I always said that when you were running one, your neighbors couldn't tell if you were plowing or grinding corn, as is had a very distinctive Putt Putt. Except for the paint, they seemed pretty bullet proof.

If you can find one, they were sold here as the Rhino 182 (two wheel drive) and Rhino 184 ( four wheel drive).

The engine looks just like a little mini Fairbanks Y.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered-II

Liked 94 Times in 19 Posts

I have seen these repowered diesel lawn tractors at shows also. I decided to build one that I could use as it was intended. I chose a Wheel Horse C series tractor and a Yanmar L100A diesel clone. The two fit together nicely. The repower turned out better than expected. Although it is only 10 hp, it has plenty of power and easily does everything a 12hp gasoline tractor will do. The Yanmar clone seems well built. The internal balancer keeps engine vibration to a quite acceptable level. Fuel consumption is about 40% less than the previous gasoline engine. You just have to get used to the different engine sound and the diesel knock at low speeds.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
WH-15.jpg  
Old 05-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Registered-II

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Jeff, that is an awesome job! That engine looks like its original equipment. You did a great job! I have a 1967 Sears tractor that I plan on doing the same type conversion. As of this post I am in the process of building a gen set with this same Yanmar clone. I have a couple of questions. Did you have any trouble with the pulley shaft size being differant?What size engine did it replace and if smaller in HP does it do the same amount of work? My engine is new and smokes blue for a few minutes until it is up to temp. How long does yours take to warm up and be smoke free.

Thanks in advance and great job.

Bluecometk
Old 05-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered-II

Bluecometk,
The tractor repower has worked out great. The 10 hp diesel will do all the work of a 12 hp, and maybe a 14 hp. I only have a 42" mower deck, which is not enough to burden the diesel much. The comparitively flat diesel torque curve is noticeable. Wheel Horse offered Kohler engines with both 1" and 1.125" dia. crankshafts, so the PTO clutch was adapted to the smaller diesel crankshaft size with the change of only one WH part. The Yanmar design engine is quite well cooled. It does smoke very light blue when cold, and when lightly loaded. The addition of any load usually warms it up enough that the exhaust turns smokeless. If it idles for a few minutes, it returns to a light blue color. Diesels shouldn't be idled excessively anyway. This exhaust color behavior is confirmed in the Yanmar LA series workshop manual.

I would be interested in info on your gen set, maybe a photo. Are you direct driving the generator, or belt driving? How has it performed? I have a couple of nice 10-12hp Hatz diesels that have been sitting around here waiting for a job to do. Physically, the Yanmar clone was perfect for the lawn tractor repower, but the Hatz engines didn't fit any lawn tractor very well. I have been thinking about building a 5kw generator set.
Jeff
Old 05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Registered-II

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Jeff,I am using a Gates cog sprocket/timing belt system at 2 to 1 ratio on a ST 8KW gen head (Engine RPM3600 Gen head RPM1800). I actually had it running for testing purposes today. I am building the frame, custom Gen head adjuster, battery mounts,weather/sound inclosure, electrical panel and safety/gauge panel and will take it all apart and paint/powder coat it when the fabrication and testing work is complete.

As I said I had it running today and was able to get 6,860 watts out of it before it started to faintly smoke. I am satisfied with that for now because I only have about 2 hours on the engine so it isn't broken in yet. I loaded it down with about 7,800 W and it smoked pretty good but I was only testing. I am ordering two more drive sprockets in different ratios so I can lower the engine rpm a bit and see how it performs. I have a suspicion that the Intake/air filter/box is to small and causing a restriction. I'm going to try it without the air box on later this week. I will keep all posted.

Can you say turbo charged!

Why wont the Hatz Diesels fit a tractor, they look from pictures to be smaller than the Yanmars?

Once again great conversion

Bluecometk
Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered-II

Arrow Re: 1 Cylinder Diesel Yanmar?

Bluecometk,
The Hatz engines are taller than most lawn tractor engine compartments will accomodate, especially the Hatz 12 hp E series. I had to raise the WH hood about 1" with the Yanmar clone, but it doesn't show much. Raising it another 3-4" doesn't work when you want a stock looking tractor. Also the Hatz engines don't have PTO off both ends of the crankshaft capable of side loading which many tractors require. Great diesel engines, but not that flexible.

I am amazed that you got 7800 single phase watts from a 406 cc naturally aspirated diesel, or were you not kidding when you said "turbo charged"? If so, I have a few more questions for you. Please contact me directly at jconner9@twcny.rr.com since this doesn't pertain much to "vintage diesels".
Jeff
Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready to install one of those chinese diesels in my bolens 1256.

How do they start in the cold? I blow snow and plow in the winter.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Registered-II

Greg,
I have started mine easily at 25F with 15W-40 oil. I had to use the compression release because I am using a small lawn and garden battery. In warmer weather I don't have to use the compression release, but the battery is marginal. I don't have room for a larger one, however. The Yanmar service manual suggests a 40-45 AH (20 hr rate) for cold weather starting down to
-22F. Yanmar also offers an air inlet preheater. I would probably use a 10W-30 oil in winter. Keep me posted on your repower jconner9@twcny.rr.com.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Jim Jake Templin

My Wheelhorse C110 threw a rod a couple of months ago, and I bought a YM 2210 to match a 5' finish mower I had.

Since I stumbled onto your WH diesel conversion, you have me a little later on project. What all did you have to change on the WH componants to make the engine fit, and where did you get your engine?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Registered-II

Rev. Jim,
I did my conversion so that all attachements would work with the diesel. I reused the mechanical clutch PTO in the original centerline location. The diesel has a 1" OD crankshaft and the 10 hp, and larger Kohler engines use a 1.125" OD crankshaft. The WH PTO clutch is adaptable to either 1" OD crankshafts (7-8 hp) or 1.125" OD crankshafts by changing the inner bearing race of the large needle bearing that supports the PTO. The 1" ID bearing race PN is 6935. It is used on B-80 and B-60 tractors. Other than that, it was a straight forward installation with a little drilling here and there, but it went relatively easily.

I got the engine off Ebay. Look under "diesel engines" for the 10 hp Yanmar clone with electric start. Should be able to get one for less than $500 plus shipping. I don't always follow specific forums for long periods, so if you decide to do a repower, or have specific questions, contact me directly at jconner9@twcny.rr.com.
Jeff
Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just received my chinese yanmar. Its a 10 horse with electric start. I will be installing this in a Bolens 1256.

Jeff, I emailed you earlier about electrical hookups on this engine. I still need help with this so if anyone else can help me please chime in.

Looks like I'll have to raise the hood a couple inches and flair the sides out a bit to contain this beast. Other than that it should be a drop in repower.