Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC LB hit and miss

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1516 times

Old 08-14-2005, 11:51:11 AM
Registered-II

Default IHC LB hit and miss

Before you get all upset I do know that an LB is a throttle governed engine but mine is running like a hit and miss. Hits 2 or 3 times then coast. If under a load it runs good. It is a 1944 3-5 hp. I have replaced the spark plug, adjusted the points in the mag and adjusted the valves. The throttle is full open at stop and does not seem to be binding when I move it by hand. Also this engine will be pulling a slab saw. Do I need to provide any sort of extra cooling besides just the hopper. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 12:28:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC LB hit and miss

Johnny, It just don't seem to be the nature of the L B engines to run unloaded at a steady pace. At least that has been my observations over the years. They seem to sorta gain on themselves then " rest " a few beats. If it gets down to work with a steady beat I would'nt worry about it . As far as the cooling is concerned the hopper should be able to do the cooling o k. Most all L Bs that had an extended water hopper were the ones that were used on equiptnent that required very long periods of running under heavy, fixed loads such as milk coolers, hay harvesting equiptment etc. I hope this will help a little. Joe Morris in east Tennessee
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07:08 PM
Subscriber

Hi........

As Joe said it is probably just the nature of the beast. Since is runs fine under load it is just showing that the governor is doing its job. When the engine gets up to speed (no load) the governor closes the throttle - very little air and fuel sucked in and thus no major "bang" - engine begins to slow down, governor begins to open throttle, air and fuel sucked in, one or two larger "bangs", engine gets back up to speed and cycle starts all over.

If you think your engine is doing this too much you might check out the governor linkage for worn areas that might cause it to momentarily catch and hold it and then suddenly release.

Regards,
Larry
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48:56 PM
Registered-II

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:23:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC LB hit and miss

If that indeed is what is happening, the engine is 'hunting'., trying to find a happy medium between open throttle and closed. most F-M Z engines have the same problem - they do not like to idle. This is a design fault in the carb. aAt idle, there is not enough air flow thru the carb to properly draw the fuel evenly. The problem may be releaved somewhat by topping off the fuel tank to the tippy top, before idling, or raising the idle speed a little bit. If the carb has a spring loaded air shutter, is it sealing well? Is it worn? Is it cracked or missing a piece out of it? One other alternative is to load the engine slightly.
Andrew