Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Now for the paint !!

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1709 times

Old 08-14-2005, 04:15:21 PM
Registered

Default Now for the paint !!

I finally got all of the bugs worked out of my homemade tractor. Runs great. The chassis is a McCormick Deering 10-20 and the engine is a F/M ZC208. Thanks to all of you who answered my technical questions. The biggest challenge was to hook up the linkage from the horizontal clutch throw to a verticle shift arm. I put a little whistle on the exhaust pipe with a cutout for my 2 year old daughter. I used a browning taper pulley onto a shaft and into a right angle gear box. I then ran a chain from the gearbox down to a sprocked on a shaft that I made and bolted the shaft to the input plate on the tractor. The tractor pulls all of the hills around my property with hardley any throttle on the engine.The transmission gears in the tractor give me a top speed of about 5 mph in high gear, fast enough for a parade. I took a few photos for you guys to see it. Do you think I should paint it up or leave it as is ?

Thanks Again for your help on this project guys. Smoke
Attached Thumbnails
Homebuilt1.JPG   Homebuilt2.JPG   Homebuilt 3.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 04:24:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default Re: Now for the paint !!

O GOD NO dont paint it. I think it makes it look more originall the way it is, and looks like it is in it's "workclothes". I have always prefered, especially the really old tractors, in originall condition. That is my opinion, and if it was mine, I would not paint it. Excellent job. I love it.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:11:05 PM
Sky

that looks good!
No paint is my vote, thisa way it looks original, looks like the 20's or 30's type of deal thisa way.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:20:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

Definitly an impressive piece of machinery! But I gotta ask.... Are you driving all that iron with one little V-Belt?
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-14-2005, 07:38:07 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Now for the paint !!

Hey, that looks great, very creative. Hope you have brakes. My vote is let it look old, as if someone had to create a new machine to farm with. Dick in the Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:43:25 PM
Registered

Right now, I am only using one 5/8 V-Belt. No slippage. I am going to get two more just to make it look better. Those darn things are salty in price. There is a brake on the left side of the tractor that came from the factory. It is activated by the rod on the left side of the tractor.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:26:45 PM
Registered-III

LEAVE IT!!! in 10 years people will think some 'ol feller jurry rigged that thar machine way back when>

good job

Mac Leod
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Now for the paint !!

My vote is to not paint it.

I would make one suggestion, though. You may want to make an expanded metal belt guard. Kids seem to be magnetically attracted to anything that goes around. You don't want anyone to get "caught-up" in the excitement of it.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 08-15-2005, 11:14:04 AM
Registered-III

Hi Smoke, I'd paint it. You've put a lot of time and effort into it. Go the extra mile and really make it look nice. David.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26:16 PM
Registered-I

I say paint it and do a real good job of it. You've put a lot of time into this machine and it needs to be finished. It looks fantastic and I'll bet is fun to drive. I have a Cushman Cub R14 on a Bollens chassis and it didn't look finished until I painted it. Then my wife got excited about what I had done and suggested I put it in parades, so next year, it's scheduled for 3 so far. As good as it looks now, paint will make it even better. Lon
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24:14 AM
Fred_M

Most people at a parade would want to see a painted machine over a rusty machine. Same with kids and women. Lots of men too. When is the last time you went to a car show, truck show, fair, or other public show and they were showing a 57 chevy with a green hood, black door, red door, yellow trunk lid, and white body? But it looks original, LOL. To most people the rust just makes it look like a POS. If only doing steam shows is your future it may be alright the way it is, but... You have done a wonerful job, finish it and make it whole. I agree with the guard on the belts too, kids do not see the danger. We had a 8 year old a couple of years ago run out to greet his dad who had just landed his plane. His father seen him coming but the engine wouldn't stop spinning the prop fast enough to... Fred
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21:47 AM
Chris Curtis

I vote for no paint. In fact, strip the green off the engine, let it rust to match the tractor then spray the whole thing down with a coat of linseed oil to preserve it. It reminds me of an old Mogal and just wouldn't look right being all shined up like a car at a car show. My opinion!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56:56 PM
Registered

Thanks for the positive replies & safety suggestions fellas. I will rig up some type of guard for the "Finger Grabber Pulleys". I will have the machine at Rough & Tumble this weekend. Stop by and say hi, would like to see some of you in person.