Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Rough & Tumble show this weekend

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 7384 times

Old 08-15-2005, 04:26:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Rough & Tumble show this weekend

The following is information for those attending the R&T show this weekend, the below comments are my own. I have been going to this show for a number of years, I like the flea market area and usually buy a number of thing there, I also like to shop the exibitors area for little engine parts, I carry engines and display them and look at all the engine and other exibits. I am not someone that usuall sell items at the show. This year my buddie went to check in this morning and he was informed that there will be no selling of anything in the exibitors, not even a $12.00 pulley ie, if he wants to sell anything he will have to get one of the special vendors spaces which have been set up, the clincher is that these spaces cost $125.00. I for one would not attend the show this weekend if I had not already made arrangement to have a engine delivered to me. Hope this does not cause a lots of verbal assult on me as I am also involved with our local show and I push the directors to stay away from the incendental sales from exibitors.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 07:26:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Yup, same deal as last year. For the first time in 17yrs I will not be attending R&T. I did not like their attitude last year toward the exhibitors. The nearly empty small engine area was a pathetic sight compared to years past. I heard lots of grumbling last year but from what I hear the club officers have blinders on and nothing will be changed.

Cheers
NICK
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56:58 PM
Subscriber

I have had a membership in R & T since 1976, but did not renew it this year. If they wish to be greedy pigs, they will have to get along without me!!!!! Al Wait
Old 08-15-2005, 08:01:56 PM
Registered-II

Angry Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

i too agree on the fees but never dealt with r&t remember the club officers can be changed along with policy!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,123 Times in 786 Posts

I think R+T will do just fine with out you Al Wait.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:18:28 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Kinzers may do just fine without Al, but will they do well when a lot of other people do not attend for the same reasons Al has mentioned? I have been going to kinzers for over 25 years, and the last few have been most disappointing. When you travel 3 1/2 hours to see a show, and most of the exhibiters are not there - it kind of puts a dent on the enthusaism to return next year, Quite a few friends will not be attending R&T this year, because of the way they felt after last years show. Maybe R&T does not want the small engine exhibiters, but who is next? The model engine people? The big engine people? Then the steam engine people? At what point do you step back and say why are we here? Flea market belongs in flea market, engines belong with engines, If R&T keeps going the way they are now, soon every thing will be on the other side of the fence, including the visiters!
Andrew
Old 08-16-2005, 01:33:29 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

It seems to me that a rather rude remark from a show director, no less, toward a potental vendor, exhibitor or attendee is not only in very poor taste but a public relations disaster.
Just my observation.....and it was impossible to NOT observe it.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04:13 AM
Subscriber

I talked to two of my friends, both are on the board of directors, and they both said that the board asked the engine people to have someone on the board and explain what the engine people wanted and/or needed. But no one from the engine area took up the offer to help they engine people out. If no one from the engine area is on the board, how are the directors suppost to know what the engine area needs? You can't blame it all on R&T, they can't know every need for all the areas. Most on the board are either into steam or tractors. They know what they need but not what everyone else needs. Hopefully it will get back to the way it used to be. It used to be one of the best shows around. I for one would not go back if they moved the engine area out in the field where the flea market is. I don't agree with the vendor practice. What does it hurt if someone sells a small part while they are displaying? At our show, which I am VP of the club, if someone is selling, more then half has to be on display and not for sale, or they have to pay a vendor fee. It doesn't hurt for someone to sell a few small things or an engine without paying that outragous fee. Maybe all the exhibitors that are not happy with what they are doing, should either write a letter or go to a borad meeting. Maybe then they would listen to what everyone has to say. Atleast they would know what you feel.

Well said Craig! That doesn't say much for a person that is on the board! Glad the rest of the board doesn't feel that way.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 08-16-2005 at 04:36:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:34:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

Ive been to kinzers twice and it was a very good show. I never brought anything and that still sounds like the easy way. Nothin I can bring will compare to the museum collection, so why try. One day, spectator senario about once every 10 years. Thats been my plan and I will stick with it. Its a good show, another great show is Rollag. I saw ZERO flea mkt selling senario there. A good show, not many little guys, at least none that I noticed (maybe hidden off in a corner). I quess I may go once every 20 years due to distance, still a great show. maybe at one time it was a small show with lots of enthusiam, now its a big big deal show. "A really big shoe" and I did not miss the stovers and maytags. Think about it, why would I drive 2000 miles to see what I can get all season back home? Maybe the same with Kinzers, its become a big deal show, so I can accept that. I dont bring anything and I dont expect to buy anything, I will just go for the love of iron.

I enjoy the small local shows much more than the big events, thats why I might travel only once every other year or so to one of the extravagenza shows. I guess I am more comfortable under an umbrela with beverage and watching a stover run with an friend.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43:33 PM
Registered-III

Kinzers WAS a nice show. If one of the previous posts about the show doing find without someone was from a director of the show,it sure makes me want to hurry right down to the show.Here is a picture of how the engine show area looked last year.This was taken during the one of busiest days.It looks like more then one person was tied of the hassles.In previous years it was packed.Not only no engines but the food stand in the engine area wasn't even open.
Attached Thumbnails
Grounds.jpg  
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harman
Here is a picture of how the engine show area looked last year.This was taken during the one of busiest days.It looks like more then one person was tied of the hassles.In previous years it was packed.Not only no engines but the food stand in the engine area wasn't even open.
Yep, that's how I remember it, maybe even less.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:16:36 PM
Subscriber

A few years ago the small engine folks were complaining there was no room for them to display because of everyone keeping their trucks and campers with their displays. R&T made a change where you could not keep your truck/camper with the display to make more room and now the small engine folks are complaining because of that.

There are alot of other shows where you can not keep your vehicle with your display, but it seems that R&T is the only one that folks want to pick on about it. There are also alot of shows that do not allow flea markets at all.

If you have any problems or ideas of how to improve them then please write to the board instead of Harrys page, or better yet, come to a board meeting and get involved.

Admission, $7.00 per person, is alot less then at many other shows. If you go to the movies it is more than that and only for 2 hours where you have the whole day at R&T. Keep in mind that more than $30,000 a year is spent on insurance alone, then you have costs for taxes, electric, fuel, etc.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hazzard

Unbelieveable.

Now we all know the mindset of the R&T board. It's no surprise with this kind of attitude how they turned one of the greatest shows on the east coast into a disappointment.

FYI here is a link to R&T's board page.

R&T Board Members
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02:05 PM
Registered-III

Rodger, since I started this thread, I would like to address some of the issues you brought up in your reply. I did not mention anything about truck, etc. I know that this is a hot item at all the shows including ours, a couple of years ago this was addressed and the decision was made not have them in the engine area, this is understandable due to the room restraint in the area.
Also I did not comment on the gate price as I think it is in the middle with most show, some charge more, some less. You have a large flea market across the road and I like to go over there as I do on all my visits, as far as R&T is concerned I consider it only second to Coolspring on the East coast, I have met many people that I call my friends, and the engine area under the shed is great. Now we come to the original complaint, the $125.00 charge for any engine exibitor to sell anything in the engine area, coolspring charges $25.00 for a vendor to sell in the field this is in touch with most people. If a guy brings a trailer load of engines to sell and does not exibit anything I think that is a different case. I like to shop around and find misc. parts to restore my engines, and most of the guys on have a couple of parts so a $125.00 fee is out of the question, if you say you do not need these people you do not need me. Thanks for the opportunity to express my opinions.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:50:29 AM
Registered-III

wow... by the way it sounds... and the way the one comment was said.. ill never exhibit at that show.. im sorry but thats rude.. it takes everyone to make a show.. not just engines.. not just tractors. not just steam.. and it takes alot of spectators. without any of those its like a bad batch of cookies or something maybe that was a bad relation. im not sure..

my two cents might not make a difference but ive seen a really good show fall apart because of little things like this. i hate to see it happen again to any show.

i know i might not have room to talk on this topic. but hey.. i do have my own opinions.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:31:35 AM
Subscriber

When was the last time anyone complaining went to a board meeting? Not all board members feel the same way!
By no means is Bill Hazzard's feelings the same as the rest of the board!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:06:49 PM
Subscriber

Since it is a 9-hour drive each way for me to go to Kinzers, it would not be reasonable for me to attend board meetings. Kinzers used to be a must in my show season, and I would always recommend it highly to newcomers as a family show: something for everyone to do and enjoy. No more!! Al Wait
Old 08-17-2005, 02:16:51 PM
Subscriber

Al, same goes for me as to the distance R&T is from where we live. It is over 500 miles one way. I understand that attending board meetings is not feasible for all, one could write a letter to the board addressing their feelings about the show. Not saying it would work, but it is a start. If a lot of people wrote the board, then they might get the point. Some understand the troubles with teh engine area, but it takes more voices then a few. I will be talking to my friends from the board soon after the show.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:54:32 PM
Registered-II

Angry Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC
I talked to two of my friends, both are on the board of directors, and they both said that the board asked the engine people to have someone on the board and explain what the engine people wanted and/or needed. But no one from the engine area took up the offer to help they engine people out. If no one from the engine area is on the board, how are the directors suppost to know what the engine area needs? You can't blame it all on R&T, they can't know every need for all the areas. Most on the board are either into steam or tractors. They know what they need but not what everyone else needs. Hopefully it will get back to the way it used to be. It used to be one of the best shows around. I for one would not go back if they moved the engine area out in the field where the flea market is. I don't agree with the vendor practice. What does it hurt if someone sells a small part while they are displaying? At our show, which I am VP of the club, if someone is selling, more then half has to be on display and not for sale, or they have to pay a vendor fee. It doesn't hurt for someone to sell a few small things or an engine without paying that outragous fee. Maybe all the exhibitors that are not happy with what they are doing, should either write a letter or go to a borad meeting. Maybe then they would listen to what everyone has to say. Atleast they would know what you feel.

Well said Craig! That doesn't say much for a person that is on the board! Glad the rest of the board doesn't feel that way.
I think a little common sence goes a long way irrigardless if you show tractor/ engines etc and it seems its lacking.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:54:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hazzard
I said my grips last year about R+T on this board and don't plan to dig up old dirt again, but with UNPROFESSIONAL RUDE comments from board members posted on sites like this, why would I consider driving almost 1,200 miles and 24 hours to go back to that show? To be quite frank, that show has the highest ranking on my personal list of where I have met the rudest people at shows in the country…………….

On the flip side, we attended Wauseon this past summer, and those people by far are the nicest people at any show I have ever met!!! They welcomed us with open arms and it was a pleasure to be there and I hope to go back next year.

I think that if any other R+T board members read this post, it is time for a special board meeting about your “HOSPITALITY” and “PERSONAL CONDUCT IN PUBLIC”, especially in the public relations areas. I would remove board members that do not give the show a positive disposition in the public forum, just as I would FIRE someone that presented themselves in that manner while working for my corporation!! I am not into "political correctness", but I am a wise enough businessman to see that if you do not get a grip on your public relations, that your "return" on your investment "people" will really start to snowball in a nice rapid decline and many of us on this board can be first in line at your public auction due to a folding of your club. Take these posts how you like, but you are losing ground fast on the public relations....................

Your board members are your ambassadors to your show, and you are proving yourself to be a no-class show at this time...............

Jeff Smith