Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Rough & Tumble show this weekend

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 7385 times

Old 08-18-2005, 06:07:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by William W Hoitt
"Now we come to the original complaint, the $125.00 charge for any engine exibitor to sell anything in the engine area............."
One last item and I am done, as with all "economic disasters" this $125 fee and $7.00 gate fee will have to increase as there is a decline in membership, exhibits, attendance and profits due to poor public relations....................

Jeff Smith
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52:12 AM
Subscriber

We drove 10 hours and over 500 miles to come to the show. It is not as bad as I read last year. The gas engine area is not full as past years, but the show in general, had a good turn out in the way of exhibits and for spectators. Not saying the engine area was as good as before, but what a collection of tractors and stuff. We had a nice day and will be going back tomorrow. Will have many pictures to post after we get home. It is not like it was the last time I was there in 1999. I feel it was worth the drive to get there. I talked to a few board members today, and they say there are still changes that need to be made. But I think that might take a little time. They know that changes are needed, and are trying to work on that. The ones I talked to DO NOT agree with what Mr. Hazzard said in his post. Some where not too happy with what he had said. The stands were full for the tractor pull, and there were a lot of tractors pulling. I know we WILL return again. We are hoping for a nice weekend of weather. Hope to see some of you there.

I understand that it doesn't matter what you are showing, and that is not an issue. No one complained about the tractor or steam areas, just the small engine area.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:07:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC
I talked to a few board members today. The ones I talked to DO NOT agree with what Mr. Hazzard said in his post. Some were not too happy with what he had said.
I see their first problem is that they ALL SHOULD NOT BE TOO HAPPY with what Mr. Hazzard said..................."Some" does not cut it and if they do not understand that then "Some" need to be removed from the board also. Public relations is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE issue and R+T gets a big fat red "F" on the top of their test paper until they can get it under control...............

My relative from near that area always asked me why I would go to that show where most of the people acted like jerks, that is why he travels to other areas of PA to go to the shows.................To this day he still thinks we are nuts for going there...........My answer is that we would go to see the displays, but now if there won't be any displays because of Hazzardous remarks from board members on public forums, there may not be any engines in the near future to go and see.............

Jeff Smith
Old 08-19-2005, 11:37:29 PM
Subscriber

I only talked to SOME of the board members. The ones I talked to DID NOT agree with Mr. Hazzard's comment. I didn't mean SOME of the ones I talked to, I SOME of the board members. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Still had a great time again today. Will be bad in teh morning again, for teh last day. Had fun running a friend's Frick traction engine.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:46:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

Gee: I didn't go last year, and didn't make it this year either . I used to go all the time and paid yearly family membership fees with no questions as I liked the show. OH WELL....
Old 08-20-2005, 05:01:10 PM

I went out to the show on Friday. Got there around 10:00 AM. I was a bit surprised that I got to park in the lower part of the lot. Figured, people were starting to get fed up. As the day wore on, I glanced out toward the parking area, I saw that the main lot was filled and they had parked cars in the hay strips across the road. Guess attendence is still pretty.

When I checked out the engine area, there were more then last year, but still lots of room left.

I think the fleamarket has suffered in the past years. Compared to 4 yrs. ago I would say there are only half the vendors there now. I also noticed that Wilson's, the sellers of tractors parts, haven't been there the last 2 yrs. Same, could get some good deals from them. Guess if I want tractor parts, I'll have to go to the Nittany Show.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:29:09 PM
Subscriber

when I was at the show at Berryville VA. they had told the locals that they had a 3 limit on sales in the display area, I have a what is it display none of it is for sale but i have a source wicks for derrick lamps so I always have a few with me ,I drove 250mi.to get there and had sold 2 sets when a fellow I knew told me they saw him sell 4 items and he had to pay them $25.00 I would have been P O`d if that had happened to me I keep the wicks because pure cotton rope is hard to come by
Old 08-21-2005, 11:25:45 AM
Subscriber

Mike; I did attend the meeting after the show last year and gave them (more than) my two cents. I may as well been talking to a stone wall. Ron
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55:17 AM
Subscriber

Roger; The problem a couple of years ago was with 30 foot RV's camping for the week and showing a couple of model engines. Also pick-up trucks with an engine in the back and nobody there. The R&T board went over board and will not listen to anyone. Even with this problem , everyone who wanted to show was able to find a space. Ron
Old 08-21-2005, 12:35:42 PM
Subscriber

To all; I was there (R&T) all four days. It's only about 1/2 an hour away from me , but did not show because I am not able to keep my van with me in the show area. I show small engines (some of them very rare). I need my van carring all of my support material (Tools-et-all). It was interesting to note Wednesday that there were about 12 cars-trucks-trailers in the show area. Some of the trailers were larger than my van , but trailers are not vechicles?? The area at the back fence must be 30 feet deep. Some of the people showing there had a lot of empty space behind them. I would need a space about 15 foot wide , but I would have to leave that space empty even there is plenty of room for my van. The center section was empty for the entire week until Saturday morning when it got filled with pick-ups with trailers. They were suposed to be loading , but they sat there for hours empty. I hope that the board starts some common sense. Ron
Old 08-21-2005, 12:48:21 PM
Subscriber

Hey Bill Hazzard; Are you going to tell me that you don't need me either? Ron
Old 08-21-2005, 01:46:02 PM
Subscriber

It would appear that the board is "Hazzardous" to the health of the show. Al Wait
Old 08-21-2005, 02:59:59 PM
Subscriber

We just got back from R&T this afternoon. We had a GREAT time. My wife's first visit to R&T and will not be the last. Yes, the small engine area was bare compaired to other years, but better then I thought it would be after last year. I took my wife for her first steam tractor ride on our friends Frick. She loved it and now wants to learn to run one herself. How great!!!!

Ron, I would not say that you should have talked to a stone wall. The board members I talked to say that there will be changes for the better next year.

Talking to three board members in regards to the camping in the gas engine area, yes they don't want campers, as in vehicles, on the show grounds. The board told the gas engine committee that people could camp in tents in the display area, but the committee would have to enforce the no campers rule. Meaning some one could put up a tent and sleep, but no RV's or pull behind campers. The committee did not enforce the rule, so the board said no camping on the grounds. So you should blame the small gas engine committee for the no camping rule. If the ones running the gas engien area will not enforce the rules, then the board has to make changes. Maybe the ones that camped in tents should say something to the committee about it and not take it out on the board.

Now on the selling from the gas engine area, they have some ideas how to fix that and we will have to see if the rest of the boards likes the ideas. If it does happen, I don't think anyone should complain.

Anyone that has gone to R&T for mny years knows that the gas engine area has really out grown the space they have for it. That is why no vehicles are allowed in the gas engine area. Yes there were still cars in there this year, and the gas engine committee should have made the owners move them outside the fence. Ron, I understand your point about not wanting to leave your engine out when not near them. I feel the same way about some of ours. I think that the trailers along the fence should have been moved of side to the parking area. Some of them took up a lot of room. R&T also had problems with people leaving there semi trailers parked in the loading dock but the truck was not there. So they had to have the trailers moved. Maybe if people had a little common sence, and curticy for others, things like these peoblems would not happen. I know that not all shows are perfect, and that people are not either, but you have to look at the whole picture to understand what the club is dealing with. R&T need to buy some more land to expand the grounds, and maybe sometime they will be able to. Also last year there was one or two people that started a lot of untrue rumors there. And the worse part, the main one NEVER even displayed at R&T. As they say, One bad apple spoils the rest"! Hopefully R&T will get things worked out before next year. Sorry for the long post, but after talking to the ones I did, I learned alot about what was going on and thought that some on here might like to know that they are trying to make changes for the better and that they know they made some bad choices last year and too many big one at one time. Maybe some of you will give them another try again in the future.

Here is a pic of the Otto & Langen from R&T. We will be posting the pics we took while we were there soon on our website.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:40:16 PM
Registered

I took my homemade tractor to R & T this year and had a great time. I made another friend there, fellow staker, Dick Graybill. It was nice to see someone in person from the Stak. I received a lot of good compliments on the tractor and a lot of questions on how I put it together. I too talked to a board member of R & T and he said that they will be working on a solution to the engine area. There were some nice engines there but no where near like in the past. He told me that the change was made due to extra large bus type campers pulling in, throwing up the awning and showing a few small engines & taking up space. Sorry if I offend anyone here, but I had to agree with him. I told him that they need to ease up on the gas engine venders in the show area and let them in for free. I always enjoyed looking at 4 sale engines piled up on trailers, the magneto repair guy and buying parts and supplies for my own stuff, thats why I went there. That stuff should not be out in the flea market, it should be right with the engines. I missed talking to that crazy Nick Lozzi with that New England accent, maybe next year "Mate". Anyway, It was a great day.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:49:00 PM
Registered-III

Mike from NC just asking a question, you refer to last year and it get confusing as to if you were talking about 2004 show or this most recent show, the reason I ask is that you mentioned that a couple of people started some untrue rumors, was this the 2004 show, I started this thread but I can assure you that I did display at the show, just trying to see where your comments lead, no hard feelings: Bill Hoitt
Old 08-21-2005, 06:50:27 PM
Subscriber

Smoke, neat tractor. I looked at it a little bit, as soon as I saw the 10-20 running gear, I knew it was yours. I looked for you on friday, but did not find you. I asked Dave if you were there and he said yes. His engine is the one that I drove. He did a great job on it. Sorry we missed you.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17:44 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Question Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

I spent 2 days at R&T this year, one of my twin sons, came with me. This is the 26th show I have attended. I missed last years show due to unforseen medical problems. My son and I were amazed at the lack of small engine exhibiters, and the lack of engine and model engine venders this year. I talked to Lee Pederson, and he said that this year's small engine attendance was actually better than last year! If that is the case, I'm glad I missed last year! As it is I was very disappointed this year. If all the small engine exhibiters were consolidated, they would not have taken up 1 full row of the entire field! There were practically no small engines for sale (2 in flea MKT, 1500 each and 5 in small engine in bad to worse shape - 500 ea.) . 'Large engines', one IHC M 10HP, missing parts, broken crank, and one with INTERNATIONAL cast into hopper - missing governer side flywheel and parts, both marked best offer. One gent in the small engine area had 4 of the 1/4 scale John Deere E engine models, 2,700 each, and in the model area, there were 2 venders with steam models - Jensen and PM Research Otherwise there were no model engines for sale (Friday and Saturday, anyway). We enjoyed the big engines on display, both the permanant and those brought in were impressive, and the tractor events wowed my son. Although theere were some sprinkles Friday, I thought attendance was way off for the day, compared to past yeasr experiance, and Saturday brought no new exhibiters to the small engine exhibit, nor to the models, in fact a few of the model guys left early Saturday morning! Attendance was not up to past years as I remember them either! I for one did renew my membership, and I fully intend to write a note to the board, as a member with concerns. Up until 2 years ago, I feel that R&T was the best show I attended. I hope that they can do something to bring back the small engines, and will express my views in a letter. If the board has not seen with their own eyes what has happened, perhaps they should attend their own show and take a look see! Every body who attended should express their view, as a note of concern, There were only 3 parts venders in the engine area, Lee Pederson and 2 friends. With the low attendance, I hope Lee made enough to make it worth his while to come back next year. There were no mag venders this year - they had enough after last year. at least there were food sales in the small engine area, the regular shed was closed, but 1 commercial vender was set up in the area. Flea Market did not have much engine related stuff, although tracter parts were well represented, especially Gravely (the featured tracter) and IHC. Any one else have comments? What was it like on Wednesday and Thursday?
Andrew
Old 08-21-2005, 11:42:54 PM
Subscriber

Bill, last year as in 2004. No hard feelings.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:07:42 AM
Subscriber

I was not there 2004.I was there this year and showed two engines.on Fri and Sat. I noticed not many people down by the fence exhibits. Weather may have something to do with it Fri. I also heard some other board member is taking over the small engine area,and trying to increase people showing engines.He promised to try to work out problems with displays for next year. I also enjoyed meeting Smoke and seeing his (tractor) running. I would not paint it. Dick in central PA.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:14:58 AM
Registered-III

I just got back from R&T today and after reading this thread find myself compelled to reply. I drove over 600 miles one way with six engines and the associated support stuff packed in the truck to display at R&T. It was no light load coming in at close to 6,000 lbs gross behind the truck. I spent over $300 dollars for gas there and back. Unloading was a simple task as I had help from two R&T members first thing Wednesday morning. All the support stuff I tossed out on arrival and it sat there undisturbed the entire four days. If I left something in my truck I walked out and got it. If it was too heavy, I asked for help. The show went better than expected despite one rather soggy. I got a special treat as one of the members offered me the opportunity to adopt one his engines for the remainder of the show. It was a beautiful 9 hp Alamo that hadn’t been run in a couple years. While I was at work cleaning it up, another member kindly plumbed it for water and hunted down gasoline to fill the tank. He showed me how to start it and gave me a few pointers on tweaking the set-up for a little smother operation. Saturday morning I fired it up on my own for an interested crowd of onlookers and it would have been hard to tell who was more thrilled: them for seeing a finely tuned piece of mechanical history clicking along or me for having started it without assistance. At the end of the day Saturday, I thanked him for the chance to run it and he thanked me for cleaning it up and running it!
For those of you who show engines, everyone is aware of the hectic schedule on the last day of the show to get things loaded up and on the way. I was the last one loaded and didn’t get finished until after 9pm. Guess how much help I had? LOTS! Bill Hazzard and Brian Mann and Roger Kriebel, all R&T members, Gene Sheppherd and Stuart Nicoll from the L.I.A.P.A who were also there making sure everything was set and strapped correctly, Bill and Roger’s wives were also loading up the smaller items as well. Tonight as I unpacked, I found they had thoughtfully loaded the more fragile items in the cab and were careful not to get any grease anywhere!! I can’t thank them enough, people like these make it an easy decision for me to give up a weeks vacation and some of my hard earned cash to make the trip an annual event.
I took up this hobby three years ago as a result of the infectious enthusiasm of an R&T member. My engine collection has grown to eight pieces because I find them a fascinating link to the rich mechanical history that made our country and our lives what they are today. I bring the engines to show for two reasons….the first is easy, I enjoy the camaraderie of others with similar interests. The second is to introduce others to the same excitement I find in the hobby. Somewhere out there is the next Paul Harvey or John Wilcox or Nate Lillibridge...and we need to continue to tweak the interest of the younger generations to find them.
Running a show is difficult, serving as a club officer is no less an effort. It is easy to sit on our butts and rip those who make the decisions and make things go. After the heat R&T took last year, I am not at all surprised at Bill’s response….people who step up to make things go are easy targets…because they stand out. Unprofessional? I really don’t think it is fair to step on an organization or one of it’s elected officers in the manner that goes on here and expect them not to reply in kind. Bill puts forth a tremendous effort to help make R&T successful and maybe he and the others at R&T deserve a little support for making a decision and sticking to it regardless of how unpopular it may be. It has already been pointed out that the directors are elected and as such can be replaced…if you’re one of those who isn’t happy, step up to plate and serve. If you can’t serve, try volunteering...if you won’t serve…pack it in.
As for me, I’ll show my support by loading up again next August and driving to Kinzers. I’m sure I will be greeted by those I know and friends I haven’t met.

Kenny