Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Rough & Tumble show this weekend

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 7383 times

Old 08-22-2005, 11:29:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Quote:
“Running a show is difficult, serving as a club officer is no less an effort. It is easy to sit on our butts and rip those who make the decisions and make things go. After the heat R&T took last year, I am not at all surprised at Bill’s response….people who step up to make things go are easy targets…because they stand out. Unprofessional? I really don’t think it is fair to step on an organization or one of it’s elected officers in the manner that goes on here and expect them not to reply in kind. Bill puts forth a tremendous effort to help make R&T successful and maybe he and the others at R&T deserve a little support for making a decision and sticking to it regardless of how unpopular it may be. It has already been pointed out that the directors are elected and as such can be replaced…if you’re one of those who isn’t happy, step up to plate and serve. If you can’t serve, try volunteering...if you won’t serve…pack it in.
As for me, I’ll show my support by loading up again next August and driving to Kinzers. I’m sure I will be greeted by those I know and friends I haven’t met. -- Kenny”
I am 35 years old and have been attending shows since I was born because my father has been collecting engines and attending shows since 1962. I know that I am entitled to comment on this issue because of all the shows I have attended in the past that are now defunct because of issues such as this. Also, I attended the 2003 and 2004 R+T shows and traveled over 1,200 miles one way to get there and personally know first hand what the engine field looked like. There are truly some problems there that need to be worked out, but it appears that board members are creating even more problems and making the matters much worse.

I too agree that it is easy to sit here and comment about shows, but there was clearly a comment that WAS UNPROFESSIONAL!!! PERIOD!!! I don’t care who the person is or what their position is in a company or club, there are times when a person is in a position and emotional based comments and decisions ARE UNACCEPTABLE!!! That comment was clearly based off of total emotion and was not well thought out of the consequences that the club may have to face and suffer in the future because of readers of this board choosing not to attend and display at future events. There are times in business that I had to bite my tongue until it was ready to bleed to not say an emotional outburst that will affect the situation or future of something. Sometimes I even have to sit on my hands when reading posts on this board to not type something in that will make it worse. If an emotional outburst happened at one of my local clubs that I am a member of, I would be doing everything possible to reprimand and/or even remove that person from that board whom has no “people” skills and hurts the club with their comments. In respect to the future of the club they are a liability and not an asset to promote future growth. Let them serve in other areas of the club where they can be an asset to the club.

My father attended the R+T show again this year as he has for well over the last 10 or 15 years, and said that it was great other than the engine field. I was unable to attend to see first hand this year how the engine area looked, but I would consider going back in the future when they have their issues with the engine field resolved. I am willing to forgive and forget past issues because sometimes bad decisions are made and then new board members are elected and know how to resolve the issues, but I would not drive 1,200 miles to look at grass though when I can walk out in my own front yard and see a similar variety of grass species and pretend that I am having an engine show in my field.

Jeff Smith
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2005, 06:20:24 PM
Registered-II

Sorry in advance,
but these posts I have been reading....OMG....we arn't all in grade 5, if you have a problem with a club or club member, take it up with them, go to the meetings or find out when they are and call confrience. Talking bad about this on here in it self is unprofessional! And for all of you who don't wanna go don't! but I know next year I will. Where else in the world are you going to be able to see some of the stuff they have? If you don't like there prics then don't sell anything. just buy and exibit!.
That is my opinion, take that how you want!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:28:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,068 Times in 294 Posts

I hate when this happens, show bashing. It can very easily happen if the show board don't take into consideration all aspects of the show. Once the horse is out of the barn it is hard to get her back in. I have been involved in our local show for over 30 years and it is hard to keep all folks happy. Even if you can't get to a board meeting either call or send a letter to the board and it will get their attention. I do agree if one person gets on the board that has some different ideas about how the show should be run, that it can be harmful. But then on the other hand, it should be up to the other board members to hold him or her back.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:48:59 AM
Registered-II

Smile Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Preuhs
I hate when this happens, show bashing. It can very easily happen if the show board don't take into consideration all aspects of the show. Once the horse is out of the barn it is hard to get her back in. I have been involved in our local show for over 30 years and it is hard to keep all folks happy. Even if you can't get to a board meeting either call or send a letter to the board and it will get their attention. I do agree if one person gets on the board that has some different ideas about how the show should be run, that it can be harmful. But then on the other hand, it should be up to the other board members to hold him or her back.
i agree give it a break, go to a meeting, or write, but going to the meeting is more fun, it makes them think about it when you show up or a bunch of you show up, face to face & talk about it in a calm and respectful form. yelling at each other does not get anything done!!!! just remember to run a show it takes 1 team, 1 dream, work together or you will end up with nothing!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21:11 PM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

They say, " You can't unring the bell." Bill Hazzard is a volunteer and probably devotes a lot of time to helping, working, going to meetings - all without even a thank you. My wife was the president of our school PTA and she found a small percentage of people had all the answers, yet never raised a hand to help out. Yes, there are some problems. I would love a gate to the campground, but I don't want to volunteer to man it. I want to volunteer my time in the steam museum. There will always be room for improvement when changes are made, but when I go to Rough and Tumble everyone I work with in the Steam museum makes me feel welcome! Where else would I get to blow the Noon whistle and work with steam engines! Jeff Klaverweiden
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,977 Times in 427 Posts

In most organizations 5 percent of the people do 95 percent of the work, while 95 percent do the talking and do no work, and the ones doing the work do not have time to complain.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:27:03 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Rough & Tumble show this weekend

Look at the number of posts and rhe number of readers, and we wonder how some women (and men) get hooked on soap operas.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:30:39 PM
Subscriber

We have posted pictures of R&T's 2005 reunion on our website.

I know that Mr. Hazzard does do alot in the way of the large gas engine shed. He is always around there and does a nice job with showing and explaining the engines to visitors. I am not saying anything bad about him, just his comment on here. I saw Bill while at the show, and he was taking care of a few of the engines like he is so good at.

Iwas not complaning about the show, I was trying to explain both sides of the story to people that did not hear both sides. We were there this year and had a great time and will return. If we didn't live 550 miles away, I would do my part like I used to when I lived only 20 miles away from R&T. I would get there on sunday before the show and help drag out all the machines, and tractors and help set them up, I used to help with the steam engine inspections. But it is hard to help out much or show up to the meetings when it take over 8 hours to drive each way.

Pictures of R&T's 2005 Reunion
Old 08-25-2005, 12:31:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,074 Times in 297 Posts

Suggestion to the officers & directors of R & T..

I believe that most everyone will agree that the exhibitors of Antique engines, tractors, cars, trucks, etc. is what the club & shows should be centered around. Yes there are other attractions that also help draw people to the shows like the flea market, live entertainment, etc. but remember what the club or show was originally organized for. As a officer or director try to encourage exhibitors to come to your shows because they are the show. Go easy on them.

Now for the suggestion: Exhibitors that are selling engine, tractor, car, truck related items. If you find that you have to charge them, charge them a very small fee like $10 or $15 dollars for the week. If the exhibitors are selling other items not related to Antique engines, tractors, cars, trucks then charge them the flea market or vendor price. Just a suggestion..

All the folks out there that are mad about this deal, don't give up on this club or show. It's not easy being a officer or director and mistakes are made some times. Give these guys a chance to make it good and remember you can't please everyone all the time.
Have Fun!

John
Old 08-28-2005, 08:05:48 PM
Registered-II

Given the fact that so few folks have taken the time to bash the show this year vs. the thousands and thousands of folks who came and had a wonderful time I am encouraged. Please come and get involved, be active, be part of the solution and not part of the problem......... Rough and Tumble is a 100% non-profit, volunteer organization with precious few members who spend a tremendous amount of time and personal $$ to get these shows on the road and if there will be a place for the next generation of engine enthusiasts (tractors too) Them quit whinning and show us how it should be done. The fact that you live 600 miles away just doesn't scan. We have volunteers that come from California, Canada, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio and who knows where else, not every Saturday but they will try to make the occasional work day. To all of you folks that have been bashing I appologize for not knowing who you are as I have only been a member for the past 9 years and don't believe I've ever made your acquantance at a work day. I also appologize for Bills comment but must emphasize that the folks that have been members for 15, 27, 200 years are just not part of the solution if they don't show up and get involved. Isn't that what members are anyway?