Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Sept. GEM

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1674 times

Old 08-15-2005, 07:38:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Sept. GEM

Got the September GEM today, another super magazine from the boys in Topeka. Thanks to them for a great product.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 08:38:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default Re: Sept. GEM

OK, I absolutely LOVE gem, but I have one small complaint. I dont know if this is just me or what, but it seems like progressively, every once in a while they have a little less reading, and a little more ad's. I looked at some of my magazines from '99 and 2000, and they just seem to have more reading material in them. I dropped steam traction a few years ago, because it just seemed to be getting more expensive, and having thinner and thinner magazines. ALTHOUGH, I had to re-subscribe to steam traction because I miss it dearly, and I want to help them out by donating some money. I am not really complaining about it, this is just what I have noticed
Old 08-15-2005, 08:58:56 PM
Registered-II

After reading my brother-in-laws copies of GEM, I immediately ordered my own subscription! About two weeks ago, I e-mail their editor asking for an authors guide; I have a couple of ideas that I would like to write up. As of this moment, I have heard nothing! I have written for two other magazines in the past and my articles have been published in them (one of them was a feature article for the magazine) so I do have some writting expertise. Perhaps the editor isn't actively looking for material. Just a thought, Karl
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44:17 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baalman
Got the September GEM today, another super magazine from the boys in Topeka. Thanks to them for a great product.
You are too close to the source! See you in a couple weeks...Helen
Old 08-16-2005, 08:59:51 AM
JBailey

I also have emailed GEM recently with no response. I submitted an article just about a month ago and never got a response that they even received the article. I guess that's ok. Perhaps the article wasn't suitable. When Richard first took over the magazine I believe they were scrambling for material. Must not be that way any more. I got my new GEM yesterday and was bascially finished reading it in about an hour.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:02:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,053 Times in 255 Posts

Got my GEM today and I have to say the OLDS factory photos are magnificent.Hopefully more vintage photos of this quality will show up in future GEMs. A great magazine even if theres not much to read in some issues.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Merry
... I have to say the OLDS factory photos are magnificent.Hopefully more vintage photos of this quality will show up in future GEMs.
Ditto John
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31:44 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Exclamation Re: Sept. GEM

When I submit an artical, I enclose a SASE post card they can send, acknowledging receipt. It can take up to 6 months to see an artical printed, I can tell you from experiance! Try giving them a call to see if they received it. Some times a call works better that electronics and the post (Email or letters).
Andrew
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,287 Times in 1,434 Posts

What's up with the full page ad for hearing aids? I would rather pay more for the magazine than to have it supersized with all kinds of advertising for products totally unrelated to this hobby. I liked the magazine a lot better before the new publisher took over. The magazine got along just fine without a full page ad on the back cover for about 30 years. It's still a great magazine, but it was greater in the past.

Mike
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25:31 AM
Subscriber

Mike, I had the same reaction to the ad when I saw it. Then I realized that most of us engine guys are getting older and may be in need of one of these devices soon. Maybe they have done a study that indicates that old engine collectors running engines all day will eventually need hearing devices.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,552 Times in 694 Posts

The address label for the September GEM arrived today, but with no magazine attached to it!!! Looks like it became detached in the mail. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I've contacted Customer Services for a replacement copy, so I'll let you know how I get on.

David
Old 08-19-2005, 05:59:39 PM
Jason Denney

OK, here we go! First of all, thanks to all of you guys for your compliments AND criticisms; we need to know what you guys are thinking. To you fellas claiming to have submitted articles or otherwise, send them to me I will respond to you.

I can't speak for Richard necessarily, but I can say that he's been super-busy lately in putting together our newest publication, Motorcycle Classics. He wants me to more-or-less head up GEM, so once again, I encourage you guys to send me any material you've got.

Steam Traction has gotten more expensive, yes, but that is because of the huge (40%) increase in paper costs over the last year, and much lower distribution numbers. We are doing all we can to make that, and all our mags, the best they can be. After all, without you guys, we don't have a jobs.

As far as GEM getting thinner, we usually always keep up with the same number of editorial pages as the previous year. Some issues are a few pages shy, some are more. A lot of it depends on the time of year, too. Right now we're not seeing a lot of submissions because everyone's off to the shows. When people are bored in the wintertime, we tend to see more.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble on, I'm just trying to clear some things up wit you guys and answer some of your questions. Thanks again guys, have a great weekend!

Jason Denney
Assistant Editor
Gas Engine Magazine / Steam Traction
Farm Collector / Farm Collector Show Directory
jdenney@ogdenpubs.com
(800) 682-4704
(785) 274-4380
Fax: (785) 274-4316