Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Does Portland showgrounds fill up?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1784 times

Old 08-15-2005, 10:16:14 PM
Subscriber

Default Does Portland showgrounds fill up?

Someone told me if you are a late arrival you might not find space to park your show trailer. I'm planning a Thursday afternoon arrival and would like to bring a 5 x 10 show trailer. I'd hate to find the grounds full.

Any advice?

Thanks, Dick
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2005, 12:18:54 AM
Sky

Default Re: Does Portland showgrounds fill up?

i dont know about nothing as far as portland goes but what i have heard is that dealers and people are already starting to try to get in the gates right now and i have heard that there trying to keep the gates shut and individuals out intell portland actually starts, wich is monday the 22nd or wednesday the 24th when portland officialy starts, here it is the 15th and people are already trying to get in! it aint the 22nd or 24th yet!
i got a gut feeling this is gonna be bigger than the swap meet in may, WAY bigger, i cant show up intell that saturday due to we gatta work all week, hope we can atleast find a spot to park. cant bring non of my engines becouse im not gonna fool with it just for a day, were comming there to portland that saturday, the 27th at about 5 or 6 o'clock A.M. me and dad will be there all day, then will go in the evening, due to the fact we dont even have a decent thing to sleep in, and knowing me, i wouldn't get no sleep if i tryed.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:49:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts

I have been to Portland twice in the last five years, and I wouldn't even THINK of taking a display, 'cause there is so much stuff to look at I wouldn't want to have to worry about a trailer load of engines while I was out lookin' around. (That Tri-State bunch sure knows how to have an engine show!) Also, the small fact that it is a 15 hour drive for me and I usually can't get there until Thursday or Friday and that's just TOO far to pull a heavy trailer...Now there ain't no doubt, when I head home, the bed of my pickup is full to the brim with all sorts of "treasure" to the point of almost bending the rear axle on the ol' Chevy 1/2 ton. I usually just throw a couple of pairs of jeans behind the seat, and take my sleeping bag just in case I can't find a place to sleep within fifty or sixty miles of the fairgrounds..But I'm not an engine nut!!! no way!...Shore wish I could go this year, but it just ain't in the cards...But Ya'll have fun.

David M.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:28:12 AM
Registered-II

Side question - kinda related.....

How does Portland handle the camper thing? My wife and I are going to go out this year with our camper (many times to Portland - first time going with a camper.) We are not exhibiting.

I seem to recall that campers are set up in the club grounds across the street, but I am not sure. How much do they charge and if I go out Tuesday B4 the show, will there still be spot available for us? Do I have to call for reservation in advance?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09:58 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

I would think that on Thursday afternoon you could surely find a spot to put a 5x10 trailer. Yes, people are probably already in line waiting for the gate to open at 5:00 on Friday night. Most of those people just go in to rope off their spot and a spot for a couple of their buddies. I'm planning to go Friday after work only because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a 16' trailer in my usual spot by Tuesday night. It's usually pretty tight just trying to get my truck down the aisle to unload a couple of engines.

Don, there are no reservations for camping. I think the fee is something like $10/night to camp if you are not exhibiting. The club grounds is pretty big so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a spot to camp. It just may not be convenient to walk to the shower/potty.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:14:10 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Mike. Look forward to a great show.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,505 Posts

will not get there till thursday. will bring a corn sheller display to set up with the CORN ITEMS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION. come by for a visit. you may see something that you have never seen before.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:24:24 PM
Subscriber

There's always space open in the back near the factory that runs 24 hour a day.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:04:45 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,934 Times in 516 Posts

No worry for me about my spot because I pay for my vendor spot a year in advance. So everyone be sure to stop by when your out in the swap area and say hi.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36:50 PM
Registered-II

I've never been but am thinking of "maybe" stopping by to see what's happening early next week since I will be down that way anyhow. I keep hearing stories of Portland having so much as far as the swap meet/flea market goes. What kind of engine stuff do you find there? ( this might sound like a dumb question, but i'm trying to get a feel for the place.) Is the pricing decent or do guys want a fortune for their stuff? Do you see much oilfield stuff? (I am kicking around the idea of getting a 15-25 Reid or similar) What kind of deals and treasures have y'all come home with?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09:19 PM
Registered-III

Steve:: The Tractor - Engine Parts area is probably 10+ acres.. ( somebody correct me if i'm wrong).. You have to keep at it to do it in a day...Rows and Rows..Fair share of Garden Tractor Stuff mixed in..All kinds of stuff you never knew existed...Not a lot of Oil Field Stuff in parts area.. ... Display Area is another story....Lots of Big and Little engines rows and rows... Two Days have not been enough for me in the past.. Prices are better then going to a Auction around here and bidding to win... Hope this Helps .. Byron