Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC 3 H.P. Upright Identification

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1321 times

Old 08-16-2005, 08:26:08 AM
Registered-II

Default IHC 3 H.P. Upright Identification

Hello All,

I am requesting help from those knowledgeable about the IHC line of engines. I just bought a 3 H.P. upright. The story is that the gentleman I bought it from bought 2 such engines as basket cases. Two name plates (crancase covers) came in the box. One was a Titan and the other was a Famous. He built one engine and sold me the parts engine. I got the Famous name plate and he kept the Titan name plate for his engine.

Aside from the name plate, is there any differences between the Titan and Famous engines that would allow me to positively ID mine as one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Donald
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2005, 01:03:15 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: IHC 3 H.P. Upright Identification

What serial # do you have on the plate?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05:08 PM
Subscriber

Some verticals had the serial number stamped on the end of the crank shaft. Check to see if it is there and if so see if it matches either of the plates.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09:43 AM
Card Sponsor

I guess you bought the 1 for sale at the Cand. NY show.The titan plate is probably off of a later engine.your engine has the later type water pump and the speed lever.Probably made after 1910/1911.Could be a Titan or Famous.Check the no. on the end of the crank.Are you going to repair the water jacket or find another cyl.?Rob
Old 08-17-2005, 07:52:51 AM
Registered-II

Yes, that was the one at the Canandaigua show. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the crank tonight and see if I can determine the engines' true identity. The gentleman I bought it from was nice enough to offer the Titan plate temporarily so I may cast a copy, should I be able to determine this engine to be the Titan.

For now I am going to keep my options open regarding the water jacket. The cylinder is worn out to say the least. It will require a sleeve if it is to be used. Repairing this water jacket is minor in my eyes compared to sleeving the cylinder. I do require a carb and an ignitor also. I am going to look around @ the shows and see what I can find. A parts engine might present itself which may yield a better cylinder. I am going to focus on the missing parts for now. (This is the part I love the most - The Hunt for Needed Parts) God I love this hobby.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-17-2005, 09:56:47 AM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Kuhl
Yes, that was the one at the Canandaigua show. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the crank tonight and see if I can determine the engines' true identity. The gentleman I bought it from was nice enough to offer the Titan plate temporarily so I may cast a copy, should I be able to determine this engine to be the Titan.

Donald
Donald with the serial # you can see what it is. All engines designated by the name Titan are from May 1, 1914.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11:20 AM
Registered-II

I got the serial number off the Famous nameplate - LA14018. I inspected the crankshaft thoroughly and I could find no markings of a serial number. I could not inspect the outer surfaces of the eccentric arms because it's still in the crankcase. I'll inspect it more when I disassemble the engine.

For now I'll have to assume it is a Famous.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-18-2005, 01:11:49 PM
In Memory Of

Donald, this serial # is for a 3hp vert. Famous gasoline fired, tank cooled engine.
It's made in 1910 in the production serie LA10839 to LA14278.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:46:27 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the information John. A question comes to mind that perhaps you may be able to address. Another gentleman had mentioned earlier in this thread that mine has a speed control arm (which it does) and an older style water pump. Does that make sense considering the identified year of the name plate? Where those standard equipment offered on engine made around 1910?

I guess I am trying to gain some measure of evidence that the ID plate is correct for the engine.

Best Regards,

Donald
Old 08-18-2005, 05:49:52 PM
In Memory Of

They used the speed regulator for these engines from 1908 to 1916.
For the waterpump there're different models, best is when you give me a part # of the pump so I can check it in the parts book.