Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 4219 times

Old 08-16-2005, 06:20:40 PM
Registered-III

Default 1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

almost every old gas engine uses a 1/2 sparkplug tired of paying $4-6 each for a autolite# 3095 .how many times have you bought a new plug ran it rich and shorted it out? the reason is the new plug is not glazed on the insulator like the old champ. take apart plugs were.the reason is with the new electrionic ignition systems,fuel injected,non leaded gas,high voltage coils they are not needed anymore.so i said to myself where can i get the autolite 3095 that is the same as the champ.#25 witch they nolonger make i'm told. went to napa they had them for $3.74 no good . i live in ohio so i don't know if you have a ADVANCE AUTOPARTS in your area if so ,you my friend are in luck.ask for item#15650034 that's the #3395 autolite plug the price is great $2.38 each plus tax (ohio) about #2.50 each.i hope that helps some one out that has a engine that eats plugs-chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32:10 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: 1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

Champion, still makes the #25 sparkplug,although it is not of the take apart type. they seem to work ok but they are not cheap. the part # is 525.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54:19 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Chuck somewhere I read an expert Champion man explain the same thing you did about glazing on the internal part of the old porcelain.
He also said for that reason not to sandblast plugs to clean them as it would remove the glazing and make them more subject to fouling.
It sounds like you have found a good replacement. Thanks for telling us. Kevin
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15:48 PM
Subscriber

You might try cleaning them this way and see if you have better luck:

Get a spray bottle of Castrol Superclean at the parts store.

Turn them upside down and spray them "full" of Superclean and leave them up-ended overnight.

In the a.m., give them a blast of hot water to rinse them out and blow the junk out.

Repeat a time or two if you're not is a rush. If you're in a rush skip the wait overnight and just let 'em sit for 10 minutes or so and repeat if necessary.

I've done this more times than I can remember. I have not yet bought a new plug for any engine I own.

The last time I used this technique was last week when I forgot to put the plug wire back on my Craftsman rotary 4hp lawnmower and flooded the berjeebers out of it. The plug shorted and was fouled a bit already and as a result, it would not spark, even after drying it etc. I mean no spark after gapping and scraping and blowdrying, etc.

An overnight treatment with the Superclean, and the plug works fine. I clean a lot of plugs this way.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:36:08 PM
Subscriber

Has anyone tried the adapters that let you use a new 14mm plug?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04:27 PM
Subscriber

I just called the Advanced Auto in Findlay Oh. They don't show the 3095 or the 3395 in their computer but they do have the Champ 25 (8 of them) in stock! They also claim to be able to get an NGK with that thread. Figure that out, other end of state carrys different parts but same company! I will be gettin' to Findlay shortly to stock up a bit! Thanks for the heads up , Chuck.
Jim Hunter
Old 08-16-2005, 10:34:23 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: 1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

The new unleaded fuel WILL short out under compression, especially on the unglazed plugs. Even in lawnmowers! With the lower Hi tension voltages on our old machines, plug fouling is an even greater problem. Thanks for the tip on saving what otherwise would be trashed plugs.
Andrew
Old 08-16-2005, 11:55:28 PM

Thanked 17,701 Times in 5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K
Has anyone tried the adapters that let you use a new 14mm plug?
It's highly unlikely that you would find a NON resistor 14mm plug.
Even if you did the reach would PROBABLY only go down about a 1/3 into the sparkplug hole.
I'm sold on the (expensive) Champion 525's.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:49:41 AM
Registered-III

For the same money as a new Champion 25 (or sometimes LESS) you can find plenty of old and very usable Champioin X or the later A25 spark plugs on EBay. I believe these are what the engines used in their working years. The A25 is the older version of the 25.

Thanks Harry
Old 08-17-2005, 09:17:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Exclamation Re: 1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale Behm
For the same money as a new Champion 25 (or sometimes LESS) you can find plenty of old and very usable Champioin X or the later A25 spark plugs on EBay. I believe these are what the engines used in their working years. The A25 is the older version of the 25.

Thanks Harry
Neale:

Remember that, in the "old days", folks used to go to their local gas station and have the plugs 'tested' and have them sandblasted to clean them. If that was done, the glazing was probably removed from the porcelain. If you get an old plug that's used and was sandblasted in the past, you might find that it fouls the same as a modern one.

I've got an old Champion "X" that's that way and won't fire under compression.

BTW, I've cleaned the modern plugs by soaking them in, of all things, kerosene. I just turned them up, filled the cavity with coal oil then used a parts cleaning brush to work it in good and deep. The first time I did that, I was at a show and had run out of non-fouled Autolite plugs. I just cleaned a couple and put one back in (carrying the other one and a crescent wrench around in the butt buggy). The plugs would stay unfouled for over a day of running.

In the shop, I will let them soak for a day or two, poking them with the brush occasionally. Works for me.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand

Last edited by Elden DuRand; 08-17-2005 at 09:23:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28:33 AM
Registered-III

Easy to make an adapter from a pipe bushing adapter.
1. Buy a brass pipe adapter, 1/2 inch NPT to 1/4 inch NPT.
2. Drill out the center with a 1/2 inch drill, if you have a 33/64 reamer then use that after drilling, but you really don't need to ream.
3. Tap the hole for 14 mm x 1.25 pitch
4. Trim off the bottom so that the shell of your 14mm x 3/4 inch reach plug will just be level with the adapter.

Thats it, I prefer the extended nose plugs. I've been using a Champion N-14Y in my FBM Z and it works exactly the same as an old "X" plug.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25:48 PM
Registered-III

Here is what keeps my engines running trouble free:

Never use Champion plugs! (I can't believe Champion is still around making crappy, what amounts to, hole filling plugs.)

I use lead additive/replacer; I had lots of fouling problems until I tried it and haven't had to change a plug in any of my old iron for the last 10 years.

Forrest A
Old 08-18-2005, 02:17:40 PM

Thanked 17,701 Times in 5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest A
Here is what keeps my engines running trouble free:

Never use Champion plugs

Forrest A
Tell that to my Avery.
Even when it was sucking oil like a PIG those plugs didn't foul.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:13:26 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Woycke
almost every old gas engine uses a 1/2 sparkplug tired of paying $4-6 each for a autolite# 3095 .how many times have you bought a new plug ran it rich and shorted it out? the reason is the new plug is not glazed on the insulator like the old champ. take apart plugs were.the reason is with the new electrionic ignition systems,fuel injected,non leaded gas,high voltage coils they are not needed anymore.so i said to myself where can i get the autolite 3095 that is the same as the champ.#25 witch they nolonger make i'm told. went to napa they had them for $3.74 no good . i live in ohio so i don't know if you have a ADVANCE AUTOPARTS in your area if so ,you my friend are in luck.ask for item#15650034 that's the #3395 autolite plug the price is great $2.38 each plus tax (ohio) about #2.50 each.i hope that helps some one out that has a engine that eats plugs-chuck
i have been watching smoke stak for 3 year & just got on , to say i have a champion plug 14mm non resister ,i will look it up tonight & get back with you all on (monday)onwhat number it is about $1.85 a plug i think,had a freind machine a adapter so plug works great , the length is also perfect
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11:01 PM
Registered-III

yes,i know about making adapters for 1/2 plugs to 14-18mm plugs.nothing wrong with that folks i do it myself. but when you want a 1/2 plug for your engine where do you find a reasonable priced plug? i myself like the take apart plugs made by champion #25 or other brands that you can take apart.but there geting harder to find and when you do they cost alot.the reason i made the post is to maybe help someone out on a good supply of cheap 1/2 plugs..in the future i think i'll keep my money saving tips to myself-chuck
Old 08-19-2005, 07:34:49 PM
Registered-III

well, I appreciate the money saving tips...though I have a fair supply of take aparts...having another option is nice-though I will admit, the auburn BR-2 takeapart that came in my engine has worked great... but for 3 bucks each the autolite is worth it,,,would be good to have as a spare or two

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30:58 PM
Subscriber

Chuck, I for one hope you or anyone else out there don't keep their money saving tips to themselves!! We're all in this together and as far as I can tell There is no "competition" as such. That I feel is one of the things that makes this such a great hobby!! We are all sorta like a family at the shows and such. Just my $.02 I guess. Thanks, Jim Hunter
Old 08-19-2005, 09:38:28 PM
Registered-II

Wink Re: 1/2 sparkplugs (cheap)

Yep, I went over to my local Advance Auto Parts store (Detroit, MI) after reading this post and gave them the part number shown on this post, and the gal said they are $2.38 each and I can have them tomorrow! I said, "Give me two"! Today I picked them up (Autolite 3095) and now I have two new spares for my Economy 1/-34hp engine! Thanks for the money saving tip! Karl
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46:10 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDilgard
had a freind machine a adapter
It doesn't take a machinist to turn out an adaptor. Visit a local hardware store, and pick up a pipe bushing. 1/2 inch male, 1/8 inch female. The 1/2 inch pipe part will already be machined for you. All you have to do is run a drill bit through it, and tap it for a 14 MM plug. Most folks already have a drill and bits, the tap isn't that expensive. BTDT
Old 08-22-2005, 01:52:51 AM
Registered-III

Took the words right off my keyboard, I use a peice of 1" hex brass and cut the threads in the lathe,I use the old plugs out of the car (check the length)