Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

early 6hp fairbanks engine need help with speed control

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1298 times

Old 08-17-2005, 07:54:03 PM
Registered-II

Default early 6hp fairbanks engine need help with speed control

I hope someone can help me. I have an early (1916) 6hp Fairbanks igniter fired throttling governor engine. When I first got it I tried to start it, but would just run too fast. You couldn't even shut it down with the butterfly valve. So I pulled the carb off to find out that someone had at one time taken the valve out and had soldered it in place. That wasn't the worst part the valve was bent. So I unsoldered it and strengthened it. I tried to start I again, the same thing happened it would want to run away. But I could shut it down with the butterfly valve, when it was all the way closed. This engine will either run away or not run at all. If you just give it the slightest amount of gas it starts to run away. I hope someone out there knows something about this type of engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Neill
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2005, 08:59:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: early 6hp fairbanks engine need help with speed control

Sounds like the govenor is hooked up backwards? The throttle should be wide open when stopped and closed when running. There is a thumb screw for adjusting the speed behind the flywheel.Hope this helps. BobRR
Old 08-17-2005, 09:05:51 PM
Registered-II

I had a similar problem with my 4.5HP Olds engine when I first put it together. I had no timing marks to work with and when I assembled the engine I was 180 degrees out on the timing gear. The engine would fire and take off as the governor was not catching where it should. The cam was out which was bounding the governor latch off when it should have been governing. You may have a similar problem, although my engine was hit & miss not a throttler.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12:31 PM
Registered-III

Check the weights on the governor and make sure crud is not holding them out, also check to see if the spring is in the governor. David.

Last edited by David Greenwalt; 08-17-2005 at 10:14:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2005, 11:58:32 AM
Registered-III

As mentioned, check the governor weights for smooth operation, also check the tension springto make sure the weights can shut the butterfly valve. Also look close at the butterfly valve, mine was put in backwards, would not seal and would open up instead of shutting down. Check to make sure the arm is in correct position on top of the shaft for this valve. Good Luck, Jim.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:51:22 PM
Subscriber

You may also want to check that you dont have the throttle shaft over center in the carb .That would make the butterfly closed when not running and wide open when the governor takes over while running. I put a throttle governed Woolesley engine tugether like this once and it ran all the way across the shop floor befor I got it shut down.