Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What is this thang, v-belt question

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1104 times

Old 08-21-2005, 04:08:11 PM
Registered-II

Photo What is this thang, v-belt question

I bought this thing yesterday at the Tiffin flea market thinking it was some sort of belt tightener. After starting to derust and lube it up, I can't for the life of me see how it's suppose to work.
The outer sheves are held to a bronse bearing with 3 set screws each and the inner sheves are greased and moveable both around and left and right(the thickness of the belts). The bronze bearing is loose to the inner sheve but is tight to the main shaft.The shaft is held by a set screw and is not suppose to turn,I think. Right now the outer sheves are held tight by the fact that the bronze bearing is stuck fas to the shaft,
I went back today and the guy I bought it from had no idea what it is either.
Thanks for the info guys, I knew you could help. Clifton
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-187E.JPG   MVC-189E.JPG   MVC-188E.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2005, 06:24:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default Re: What is this thang, v-belt question

Looks like a variable speed drive. This device would go between a motor or engine and the pulley on whatever you are trying to power - for identification I will just refer to it as the Machine. You have a v-belt going from the motor to this device, and another belt from this device to the Machine. As you move the lever back & forth it will force one belt down deeper in its groove and at the same time the other belt will climb higher in its groove - thereby changing the relative ratio.
Don't ask me what it might have come out of - haven't a clue.....
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-21-2005, 10:00:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Thumbs up Re: What is this thang, v-belt question

Definatly a variable speed drive unit. Nice find!
Andrew