Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What is this thang, v-belt question

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1104 times

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 04:08:11 PM
Clifton Clowers Clifton Clowers is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bloomdale, Ohio USA
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Photo What is this thang, v-belt question

I bought this thing yesterday at the Tiffin flea market thinking it was some sort of belt tightener. After starting to derust and lube it up, I can't for the life of me see how it's suppose to work.
The outer sheves are held to a bronse bearing with 3 set screws each and the inner sheves are greased and moveable both around and left and right(the thickness of the belts). The bronze bearing is loose to the inner sheve but is tight to the main shaft.The shaft is held by a set screw and is not suppose to turn,I think. Right now the outer sheves are held tight by the fact that the bronze bearing is stuck fas to the shaft,
I went back today and the guy I bought it from had no idea what it is either.
Thanks for the info guys, I knew you could help. Clifton
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-187E.JPG   MVC-189E.JPG   MVC-188E.JPG  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2005, 06:24:54 PM
John Newman, Jr.'s Avatar
John Newman, Jr. John Newman, Jr. is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,696
Thanks: 586
Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default Re: What is this thang, v-belt question

Looks like a variable speed drive. This device would go between a motor or engine and the pulley on whatever you are trying to power - for identification I will just refer to it as the Machine. You have a v-belt going from the motor to this device, and another belt from this device to the Machine. As you move the lever back & forth it will force one belt down deeper in its groove and at the same time the other belt will climb higher in its groove - thereby changing the relative ratio.
Don't ask me what it might have come out of - haven't a clue.....
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:00:12 PM
Andrew Mackey Andrew Mackey is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rockaway, New Jersey USA
Posts: 10,825
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Thumbs up Re: What is this thang, v-belt question

Definatly a variable speed drive unit. Nice find!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
Belt pulley question Alek77 Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles 3 12-17-2007 09:28:58 AM
Flat Belt question John Newman, Jr. Antique Gas Engine Discussion 6 07-18-2007 08:41:49 PM
MF 40 industrial fan belt question gbritnell Antique Farm Tractors 5 07-18-2007 11:53:41 AM
Flat Belt Question Larry Dunlap Antique Gas Engine Discussion 2 12-06-2005 07:22:43 PM
Round belt question Benny Mckheean Antique Gas Engine Discussion 5 08-26-2005 02:22:41 PM

Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18:33 PM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!

All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277