Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Round belt question

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1859 times

Old 08-24-2005, 05:03:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Round belt question

I just purchased some 1/4 inch round belting from H&M to run the fan on my Busy Boy engine and would like to know how to join the ends.I have two clips that I ordered with the belt and the only way I see to join them is to overlap them to the desired length and crimp them.Is this correct? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2005, 05:23:33 PM

Exclamation Re: Round belt question

Not sure what your clips look like. But what they use to do is use a Hog ring to join the ends together. Its an oval wire ring split open on one side and the ends are to a point. They had special pliers called Hog ring pliers( go figure) that pinched the ring throught the leather belt and closed the ends close together. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Round belt question

Yep, its just a butt joint. Put the belt around where you want to go and overlap the ends side by side at the tension you want and cut through both pieces. I drilled a hole with a small bit and slipped the clip through. then just squeezed the clip together with a regular pliers.

Frank Y
Attached Thumbnails
belt.jpg  
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,287 Times in 1,434 Posts

Benny,
What I was told to do is cut your belt to the correct length with the ends butted together. Maybe even a little short, because there will be a little gap when the ends are hooked together. Then, take each end and drill a hole through the belt vertically. Put the hook through the hole in each end from the bottom of the belt and you're all set. It is very important to drill your holes vertically square to the surface and in the center of the belt. Make sure there is no twist in it either. If you are careless, the ends will end up offset and the belt will want to walk out of the groove when the splice enters it.

Mike
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42:14 AM
Registered-III

G'Day Benny.
I used to use a similar belt in a citrus packing shed,it was called "REDTHANE BELTING".It is made from an elastic type of plastic stuff,I cant tell from the pic if its the same but here is how to join it if it is.Get a stainless steel knife clamp it in the vice, heat it with a gas flame but don't burn it place the 2 ends on opposite sides of the knife till it melts then slide it off pressing the ends together at same time.As i said thats if its the same type of belt,I used to use it to drive sizing rollers on a citrus plant,its good stuff.
Happy cranking Phillip
Old 08-26-2005, 02:22:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanks all for the replies.I now have the belt installed with all the good advice I received.