Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Portland in a day.

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2161 times

Old 08-26-2005, 01:03:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,338 Times in 438 Posts
Default Portland in a day.

im pretty sure i saw, and took pictures of everything at portland in a day. saw a lot of stuff i wish i had money to get. there was a huge baker monitor engine there . anyone know the biggest one they made? the spark plug collections were rather interesting. also saw some jacobsen side-shafts for the first time. those are really neat engines! saw a lot of ellis engines tooo.

on a sad note...when i went to upload the pics to my computer...THE DAMN BATTERIES DIED AND I LOST ABOUT A HUNDRED PICS !!!!! guess i'll just have to look at everyone elses.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2005, 02:29:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Portland in a day.

Hey how was thge weather at the show, dusty or muddy or what , i am going Sat. only because work during the week , let me know asap if you can!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40:02 PM
Subscriber

good news. i recovered my pics!! the weather was awesome. sunny all day. next year im taking a tent, a trailer, and a pocket of cash!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47:12 PM
Sky

How big is the swap meet? hope it's big like last time, or near that size atleast.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:09:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,095 Times in 1,503 Posts

OK, I've been there 3 days and haven't even been to the flea market or the tractors. Guess I'm slow or just looking to hard. Last I heard there were over 700 tractors and 1600 engines. Don't know how many steam engines. They changed things around a little but still a great show!! Seemed like there were a few empty spots in the swap area. Everyone blamed that on gas prices. Still some of the most unusual and interesting displays I've ever seen . To any body and everbody this show is still one of the best. I'm going to try to go back tomorrow. I'm driving back and forth 120 miles each way. One of the things missing is Harry. Hope to see him there next year. The weather has been great . A little dry and dusty. Was overcast today. Don't know what the weather is calling for . Stackers met today for photo so I got to meet a Few. Will try to post some pics. later. Everone be real careful out there and have a lot of fun. Fred
Old 08-26-2005, 08:11:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,374 Posts

Please Post Pictures of Portland for Public Preview, Partner.
'Preciate it!

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35:55 PM
Registered-III

Skylar:: The swap area is probably twice the size of Camp grounds ...Don't forget to walk through the Trading Post Area .... Went in there today kinda like a tag sale...1 1/2 M needs work no mag ...$250.00 ... Thought of you when I saw it.... Its in the back of the building North end... About the best cheap deal I saw Byron
Old 08-27-2005, 12:19:31 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Portland in a day.

there had to be MORE than 1600 engines! the swap meet area was about 30 rows deep! i was kinda bummed out because there were only 4 steamers (a baker, a kitten, an advance, and a real small case) there, and i didn't see any of them running. i didn't pay to much attention to the tractor display area. it looked to be mostly damn deeres, and you always see a ton of those everywhere. saw a wallis bear. the last one known. would have liked to see some steel wheel tractors. i'll try to putsome purty pics up if i can figure it out.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:34:40 PM
Subscriber

the pics i took are to big appearently
Old 08-27-2005, 03:57:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

CAN NOT BE DONE. I was there two days, and walked and talked from 07:00 to 07:00 both days and took a few pictures. Wish I could have stayed longer. More to follow when I get a chance to take a "BREAK" tonight .
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28:14 PM
Registered-III

Did anyone take a picture of the helicopter?
Seve Holbrook in Ohio
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45:12 PM
Registered-I

I spent 3 days there and could have spent 4 or 5, I was never bored or disappointed. They had a couple of steamers belted to the sawmill on a couple of days. The antique harvesting equipment was fascinating to me, the Girards always put on a great show of shelling and threshing and baling etc. There was a Hart Parr belted to a thresher one day. Lots of Deeres as expected, being the featured tractor, but many other nice examples of other marques on display out in the field area. The rearrangement lead to some disorientation, at least on my part, but I eventually found Starbolts so all was right with the world. Saw and met several folks I'm familiar with from here on the Smokstak. Many engines in the show area and for sale out in the market. Pretty much got what ya paid, nothing cheap per se, but some really good "project" engines that would turn into something special after the work. At least that's what I thought, had a great time and looking forward to next year.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33:02 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,095 Times in 1,503 Posts

I also saw some pricey stuff. The big 25 H.P. Foos and the FBM 8H.P. NB and there was a older 12H.P. FBM. But it seemed to me the other engines. were for the most part reasonable. Also saw a 3 H.P. Vertical nonpareil IHC. And who could not be amazed by the 20 h.p. Stickney and the story that goes with it.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:58:42 AM
Registered-III

I was there for 12 days and did see all of it (except for all the green tractors, seen one you seen the next). I feel that the show was way down this year in both exhibits and attendence. I can tell this from being for 12 days each year. It did pick up on Sat a bit but the rest of the time the numbers were way down. Usually more than 3000 engines and I don't really listen to how many tractors show up but they just sit there anyway and don't move and you never se their owners. The selling area was also short this year, lots of big gaps in the rows, 2 years ago you couldn't find an open space in the rows and I feel that the prices where way up. Sellers were bitchen that they were not selling anything so they blamed it on the gas prices. That was part of it but if you want to sell then you had better give a decent price. One seller had a 1 1/2 novo for $3000. Nothing special about it. Kenny Wolf, who usually is considered to be one the higher priced sellers was actually better in pricing than many. Saw quite a few sellers even leave just a day after the show started because of attendence and no sells.

As for the exhibitors area, they have lots of work to do. Splitting it up was a big mistake. There was very little traffic in the new area with the exception of the areas right by the gate. Butt buggies were at an all time high in the new area, no water was provided to cooling of engines either. Many people packed it up after only the second day of the show. About the only advantage to the new area would be that if it rained, you would not be standing in water. If the sun was out you did get plenty of that as there are very few trees there.

I did hear that the John Deere tractor people where getting mad at their new area too ( the old engine area that they whined about needing) seems that some sap from the trees was falling on their shinny paint jobs. Why do tractor people need shade anyway, they don't stay with their displays, only saw a few by their tractors, the rest were left there all week to sit. I guess since the new president of the club is a tractor person does say a lot about some of the changes. I was told the main reason for the change was so that the tractors could run and do some plowing. Good idea if you could get them out there to do it. I walked by the plowing area 5 times on Friday to only see the same 4 tractors plowing each time and these looked like tractors that had just come from the field, not the pretty shinny ones under the trees that used to be an area for engines.

On a positive note, the trading post is said to have had a record year as sells there were way up. By Saturday morning there was hardly anything left to buy. The weather was the best it has been in many years, cool and dry.

Tim Christoff.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:46:39 PM
Registered-III

tim,i don,t think it's as bad as you say? you where there 12 days nowonder you didn,t have any fun./the show is only 5 days (lol)what did you do for the other 7 days you must be from the wizard of oz state.things are sure different there.yes it was a major change for us old timers.all those damm tractors but things change,maybe the new prez. will rethink his tractor thing.one thing for sure portland is getting much bigger. sure things were different,maybe they will fine tune things for next years show.i still had a lot of fun for the 2 days i was there.wed,fri .hope to see you at the first fall swap meet ocy 14-15-chuck
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49:34 AM
Registered-II

I was there 3 days and all I can say is "The Greatest Show on Earth". Not many shows can pull off a good John Deere feature because everyone and thier brother brings out JD's. That was best I had ever seen. I liked the new layout and hope they keep it for the future. They do need more room though.

I was looking feverishly through the parts area for all three days for some pretty hard-to-find parts. Never give up hope and never stop looking because I found most of them. Most of them at displays I had passed over a few times before.

What I liked to see was that there were a good number of parts vendors. The Swap Meet eariler this year and other shows I seen a large drop in the selection of parts. I thought the internet killed that off. I also noticed that there were a fair number of medium to high collectible engines for sale for what I would consider reasonable prices. Many, many engines changed hands during that show.

People were lined up to get into the Consignment Sale Barn 3 hours before it opened. What was up with that?

Hats off to the Tri-State Board for another show well done.

Best Regards,

Donald Kuhl
Chesterland, OH
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13:05 AM
Subscriber

I was only lucky enough to have 2 days and 3 nights there! I liked the new setup this year. Yes there were some gaps in the swap area but I still able to pick up many good buys and find some hard to find items. I made new friends and saw some items that I had not seen before. My favoite part of the event is to go back at night and watch and listen to the big oilfield engines running! The bad part is the trip from Eastern North Carolina is long and more costly this year because of fuel rising .

thanks Harry!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:33:56 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,588 Times in 845 Posts

Apparently some people didn't walk through the feature tractor tent. Trust me, if you see one Deere you have not seen them all. Alot of big $$$$ tractors and memorabilia in that tent. I didn't care for the broken up layout of the engine area. I didn't walk out to the new area until Thursday and was pleasantly surprised by the number of good engines out there. I counted 4 Ottos at the show, thanks largely to Rollag featuring them this week. Lots of nice hardware on display!