Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Why step on a local show?


this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1929 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2005, 09:33:57 AM
BDilgard BDilgard is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ashland, Ohio USA
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why step on a local show?

My wife showed me a flyer for red round up , for 2006 coming to mansfield Oh, but after reading it, i notice the dates they are having it, was put on the same date as a local show( less than 20 miles apart) have already had set for previous years(Bud Legget has about broken his back to get this showing rolling, & this year it did work great, i Have supported him & along with a lot of other people with the thick & thin. Can Someone tell me why this would happen. And could we have not done it this this way?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-29-2005, 11:23:09 AM
Paul Spence's Avatar
Paul Spence Paul Spence is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 4,528
Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Images: 17
Default Re: why step on local show

We have the same problem here in NJ and Pa.. Some of the shows I don't go to because they are on the same weekends, and there are plenty of weekends to choose from. Established shows usually win. Seems no one checks what the other shows in the area are doing and just pick a date out of a hat . What's the answer, a central clearing house for show dates . Hmmmm...
__________________
Did you make a new friend today, and a lot. Paul - "OLDIHC"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25:06 AM
ssimntih's Avatar
ssimntih ssimntih is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Adair, Illinois, USA
Posts: 694
Thanks: 21
Thanked 286 Times in 150 Posts
Images: 59
Default Re: why step on local show

We have a similar situation here. The show at Argyle Lake is the same weekend as the show at Mt. Pleasant IA. They're not 20 miles apart, but it still gets stepped on. Last year, a couple of exhibitors that usually go to Mt. Pleasant came to Argyle, and it made for a pretty darn good show. I hope that they'll be there this year, cause if not I'll be pretty lonely.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2005, 11:56:09 AM
BDilgard BDilgard is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ashland, Ohio USA
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: why step on local show

The thing is that this red round up, from what get from relable source , this is the bunch from out west, this is going to be huge with 2,000 tractor & engines plus, why not put it on mansfields oh, own show date which they all ready have lock in for many years. still cannot figure this out.( not mad about it) And it looks like a local person within 35 miles of both shows , is setting it upor part of it, there has to have been some communicate lost somewhere. But go figure this world is full of lost communcation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03:45 PM
Guy Fay Guy Fay is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 533
Thanks: 321
Thanked 803 Times in 250 Posts
Default Re: why step on local show

I don't know why they are having the show on the particular dates that they arem but the Red Power Round-Up is so large now that the national organization has decided that the show shouldn't be held at the same time and place with a regular show- the total size gets way out of hand. Even as a stand-alone show, IH Chapters looking to host the event are really struggling to find sites.

It may be a case of the Ohio IH chapter being able to have the help, or those particular grounds having the date open, at that time. Given the huge number of shows in Ohio, you're probably going to step on one no matter what the date is. We're looking at a similar situation in Wisconsin, which probably has only half the shows Ohio does. We're trying to at least not step on a show real close, but in Wisconsin during the best show weeks, there will be something going on every weekend.

The Red Power Round-Up os the national summer convention for the International Harvester Collector's Club-you have folks coming from every state and several countries, it's not "some folks from out west"!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28:40 PM
Steve Barr's Avatar
Steve Barr Steve Barr is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Downers Grove, Illinois
Posts: 827
Thanks: 162
Thanked 1,798 Times in 193 Posts
Images: 10
Default Re: why step on local show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimntih
We have a similar situation here. The show at Argyle Lake is the same weekend as the show at Mt. Pleasant IA. They're not 20 miles apart, but it still gets stepped on. Last year, a couple of exhibitors that usually go to Mt. Pleasant came to Argyle, and it made for a pretty darn good show. I hope that they'll be there this year, cause if not I'll be pretty lonely.
I also know that Pontiac,IL has their show the same weekend (a few hours closer to Argyle) along with Edgerton, WI a few more hours north. Take a look in the show directory and see how many shows are on each weekend... A fixed # of weeks on the calender are the reason for this....Maybe we could change the calender to get more weekends .....I try to attend a few different shows each year and sometimes two in the same weekend...

Now if you could put some advertising across the street from the enterance of the RPR show, you may get some cross over traffic thru your gate for one of the days....
__________________
Steve Barr
http://www.oldengine.org/members/sbarr

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19:39 AM
BDilgard BDilgard is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ashland, Ohio USA
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: why step on local show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fay
I don't know why they are having the show on the particular dates that they arem but the Red Power Round-Up is so large now that the national organization has decided that the show shouldn't be held at the same time and place with a regular show- the total size gets way out of hand. Even as a stand-alone show, IH Chapters looking to host the event are really struggling to find sites.

It may be a case of the Ohio IH chapter being able to have the help, or those particular grounds having the date open, at that time. Given the huge number of shows in Ohio, you're probably going to step on one no matter what the date is. We're looking at a similar situation in Wisconsin, which probably has only half the shows Ohio does. We're trying to at least not step on a show real close, but in Wisconsin during the best show weeks, there will be something going on every weekend.

The Red Power Round-Up os the national summer convention for the International Harvester Collector's Club-you have folks coming from every state and several countries, it's not "some folks from out west"!
I should have said National red round up in stead of what i said , but the date concern, should have been looked into in more depth, like in june or Aug.
i know this is going to be big, & its hard finding A place big enough. At lease on these months in june or Aug. their are show at least 150 miles apart & possilbe would not crash with each other. "said my 2 cents" I can not believe that other Dates could not be set up. But whatever will be, will be
thanks for in site.. Done
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41:55 AM
David Greenwalt David Greenwalt is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: why step on local show

Oh, I don't know, it's kind of nice having so many shows in Ohio. There are times where after a long hot week in the plant I just don't feel like loading up, going somewhere and unloading, then sitting there all day. Sometimes I just want to see engines I haven't seen before. Ohio is a relativly small state and I can go to a show on Friday, then Saturday go to a different one. Same for Sunday. My wife and I have gone to a show for half a day, then headed to another one an hour or less away. There have been weekends where we have hit 5 different shows. Many shows in Ohio aren't strictly engine shows, but are held in conjunction with a fair or founders day, something like that, so there is plenty to see and do. From a spectators point of veiw Ohio is a great state to find something to do on the weekends. You have to remember spectators bring in the money, and most of them, with a family to entertain, would be bored to stay at one engine show all day. So if you are having a show close to another one, you should get together with the directors of the other shows and agree to put up flyers inviting the spectators to visit your show after they leave the one they are at. With the cost of gas and fees today, I would like to see the shows get together and do things like offer a discount if you show a ticket from another show you have been to that weekend. Half price for a ticket is twice as much as not getting anything at all. Shoot, I left one show and found out later there was another one only 20 miles away. With all the engine guys I talked too, not one mentioned the other show because they were "competing" with each other. I thought it was stupid, because as a spectator I would have gone to both. David.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45:04 PM
BDilgard BDilgard is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ashland, Ohio USA
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: why step on local show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barr
I also know that Pontiac,IL has their show the same weekend (a few hours closer to Argyle) along with Edgerton, WI a few more hours north. Take a look in the show directory and see how many shows are on each weekend... A fixed # of weeks on the calender are the reason for this....Maybe we could change the calender to get more weekends .....I try to attend a few different shows each year and sometimes two in the same weekend...

Now if you could put some advertising across the street from the enterance of the RPR show, you may get some cross over traffic thru your gate for one of the days....
STEVE , that sounds like a good idea with advertising arcoss the street, but i would bet it would not stay their long, but you know it could be like when they have around here like open farm tour ,where people can visit different farms , but in this case(shows) each show maybe up tickets at gate $1.00 or something like that, ( which i seen something like this in this thread)(david greenwalt) has mention. well i guess we will have to see what happens i think
enough has been said.(time to move on) thank you all for your input gentlemen.
BD
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
critical frist step... (Galloway barn fresh!) GregSenn Antique Gas Engine Discussion 7 09-04-2005 11:50:44 AM
Port Huron Step Whistle Mike Inglis Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats 1 03-21-2005 09:40:42 PM
Step 1: Cart complete Chris Kirk Antique Engine Archives 1 07-21-2004 07:05:46 AM
240v step down transformer John Stewart Generators & Motors General Discussion 2 01-13-2004 07:13:41 PM
Step Pulley Smoke Antique Engine Archives 0 10-10-2003 05:39:36 PM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36:52 PM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277