Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Carb info needed

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1155 times

Old 08-31-2005, 07:28:53 PM
Registered-I

Default Carb info needed

I hope that someone out there can help me with the carb I am working for a friend of mine. The carb looks like a 1 1/4" schebler, but I think that was made by fairmont for there speeder cars, it has Fairmont model J-3A cast where Schebler would be. Anyway to my problem, where the carb mounts to the engine there is valve and seat and I not sure what this valve looks like as there is not enough left to measure. The shaft that the valve slide back and forth on looks like is a hollow, but again there is not enough left to measure. I hope that the pictures will explain what I'm talking about. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Andy
Attached Thumbnails
tn_IMG_0049.JPG   tn_IMG_0050.JPG   tn_IMG_0057.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2005, 07:57:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Carb info needed

It looks like it is just an intake check valve used on a 2-stroke engine except that it appears to flange mount directly to the "Schebler" body. Ordinarily on a Schebler-type carb, a throttle valve assembly would bolt to the carb body and the check valve, if used, would be screwed into the throttle assembly. There would also be an air inlet assembly that had a compensating valve.

I doubt that rebuilding the check valve would require exacting specifications. You'd need a disc that was exactly flat or that has a soft material attached to allow for seating, a light spring to provide positive closure but easy to suck open, a guide to follow the "stem", and some bolt or cotter pin to keep things from coming off the stem.

What type/make/etc of engine is this carb destined for? How is the carburetion throttled? Are there more parts to the carb that aren't shown??

Hopefully someone with specific knowlege will reply! Perhaps this helps get you started.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25:43 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Carb info needed

The carb is off an early Fairmont speeder motor I have all the rest of the parts just didn't picture them. I am not sure what controls the throttle as all I have is the carb that I'm working on for a friend. Thanks