Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Massey Harris Type "1" Query

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1284 times

Old 09-01-2005, 10:05:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Massey Harris Type "1" Query

Okay, now I have a question about the Type "1" M-H engines . I was told there was an 8 hp at Coolspring this past June. Does anyone know if that engine sold or not and what was the asking ?? Was it original or restored ? Lastly, what ignition was on it...sparkplug/coil, Webster or Bosch mag ? And that leads me to my burning question: does anyone have any pics/info on the larger Type "1"'s being equipped with a Bosch mag ? Thanks much.

Andrew....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49:11 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Massey Harris Type "1" Query

Hello Andrew,

Hope you are doing OK in Ontario, a while since we had a chat.

Type 1 large HP M-H engines seem to be very hard to come by, I would certainly like to add a 12, 15 or 18HP type 1 to my collection here in England.
I have never seen or heard reference to a Bosch magneto being fitted, usually Webster or coil.

Best Wishes from England.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:28:37 PM
Subscriber

I think I took a pic of that one at Coolsprings. It was on a trailer behind some guys display with a (I think $3000) tag on it. It was there on sunday when we left. As I recall it had a webster but I could be wrong.

Frank
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45:32 PM
Subscriber

Malcolm,
Yes, last time we spoke was regarding the Sawyer-Massey bushel counter I had; I trust John received it alright . Indeed, the larger Type "1"'s are hard to come by. I know of a couple 12 hp and larger engines in Ontario but they are not for sale . Did (m)any of the big Type "1"'s get exported to the U.K. ? I am curious about a Bosch mag set-up because I have heard of one and apparently the bracket has the <M-H> embossed on it . Don't forget to visit here the next time you're across the pond to have a pint with the Curran's .

Frank,
Thanks for the info. If you think you have a pic of it, could you see what ignition is on it ? Also curious about condition (original vs. restored) as I am trying to price one out up here.

Regards,

Andrew....