Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

J.F.Byers Machine Company

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about The J.F.Byers Machine Company from Ravenna,...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2191 times

Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered-II

Default J.F.Byers Machine Company

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about The J.F.Byers Machine Company from Ravenna, Ohio. I am looking for some information or pictures of an upright engine made by them. I am also looking for any info or pictures of a Fairbanks Morse upright.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bob Oliver
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: J.F.Byers Machine Company

The only info on Byers that I know of is the small steam locomotives they built. I haven't heard of any gas engines with that name. Here is a link for the locomotive. http://www.gearedsteam.com/byers/engineering_news.htm

Hope this helps,
Frank
Old 09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,454 Times in 956 Posts

My father used to have a vertical steam engine built by byers. I will see if I can find a picture and information.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Subscriber

I also have a vertical steam engine by Byers. Reversable about 4 inch bore. I can share pics and be interested to learn about the company.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Oliver View Post
I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about The J.F.Byers Machine Company from Ravenna, Ohio. I am looking for some information or pictures of an upright engine made by them. I am also looking for any info or pictures of a Fairbanks Morse upright.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bob Oliver
In June 1874 The J.F. Byers Machine Shop, Ravenna, Ohio was founded where they repaired all types of machinery. Mr Byers also designed machinery, including the steam engine that supplied power to the shop. John Byers held 13 patents for various machines and mechanical devices. In Feb. 1879 he received a patent for improvement in oatmeal grinding machinery and Mr Byers sold this patent to the Quaker Oats Mill in Ravenna. This mill combined with four other mills (around 1901) to form the Quaker Oats Company.

Mr Byers also designed large and small steam engines that were used to supply power in factories and farms. One of these engines , delivering two to four horsepower, was named the "Ravenna". Byers patented and manufactured a line of very popular steam-powered "steam shovel" and "Drag lines". In 1889 Mr Byers invented a steam powered electric generator.

By 1890, demand for Mr Byers' steam shovels required building a new plant at Sycamore Street in Ravenna, Ohio. The workforce was increased to 35 men. This writers"s grandfather was a janitor in the new plant. This writer's father joined Byers' Machine approx 1920 as a salesman and became Secretary -Treasurer of the company until it's closure in 1954. Maximum production occurred during WW-II with one steam shovel per month output. Most of these were sold and shipped to French developments in Africa. The Sycamore Street plant still stands today- a sorry relic of the rust belt.