Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

John Lauson Engine

I just aquired a John Lauson Engine No. 12369. Size AB. Type F. There are several things about it...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1404 times

Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered-III

Default John Lauson Engine

I just aquired a John Lauson Engine No. 12369. Size AB. Type F. There are several things about it that need clearing up. Was there a cutout on them that stopped the ignitor from clicking every revolution of the crankshaft? I don't know the year of this engine. I understand that there is no way of dating them because the records were lost. What color were they? This one is now blue, but it looks like there is green paint under it. Does the type F refer to the Frost King? Does someone have a listing of these engines that I could add this one to? Thank you, Bob Brown
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: John Lauson Engine

Type "F" are frostkings. They were green in color with a red skid. Yes, there was some linkage that lifts the ignitor trip rod on the miss strokes of the engine. If the engine has the original magneto and is marked Sumter telephone the engine was made in 1914 or earlier. Kevin
Old 09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Subscriber

I also have a Lawson that I am searching for info on. It is a type D, size ZA, 2 1/2 HP it has spoke flywheels and looks like a Frost King my serial number is 17889. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Denny
Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered-III

What makes a Frostking? Made by John Lauson or Lauson of New Holstein, WI. Spoke flywheel, hopper cooled, it must be all of these. It appears the Frostking name was dropped in the late 1920's. Although they still sold hopper cooled spoke flywheel engines. These were not advertized as frostkings, by this time most if not all were sold with WICO EK magnetos verses ignitor with gear driven sumter magneto. Kevin
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the info, my engine was ignitor fired with gear driven mag, someone fitted a pretty unique looking high tension mag on it and replaced ignitor with a spark plug But it looks pretty good. My tag is the heavy cast brass and says "The Lawson" on it.

Denny
Old 09-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Card Sponsor

Most of the "Frost King" engines that you will find in Canada will have a DeLaval tag on them. they are also tagged F on the brass tag. the old style engines with mag and ignitor are very nice and slow running due to the massive flywheels.Lawson also used their own mixer which is OK but sometimes very fussy to get it too run right.the smaller engines had a two bolt ignitor and the larger ones had a 3 bolt one.the later engines with solid flywheels had the same ignitor hole but with a bracket for a sparkplug and wico ek mag.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Registered-III

Thank you all for the information. If anyone has a picture of the gizmo that lifts the rod up to clear the ignitor it would be very helpful. Thank You. Bob Brown