Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Info on O & R engines inc (Ohlsson and Rice)

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 25783 times

Old 10-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Info on O & R engines inc (Ohlsson and Rice)

Hi. Just picked up a 1hp O + R engine. model # compact ll. Believe Ford made the castings for o + R. believe pre curser to the model airplane engines. It revs at 3500 rmp and mfg 1950-1960.
All information would be appreciated,thanks
david
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Subscriber

Liked 595 Times in 189 Posts
Default Re: InFo on O & R engines inc (Olin and Rice)

Not sure which came first the airplane engines or the power tool engines, all I'm sure of is that Ohlson and Rice made both. Their little engines were used on many power tools before the advent of rechargeable cordless tools. I have a generator (Tiny Tiger), a weed whacker, a 1/2 inch drive power drill (Drillgine), and a chain saw. I had a hedge trimmer and have seen (and didn't get it at an auction) a circular hand saw. I'm sure there were more.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Leonard. The one i have revs quite hi and a bit difficult to start. once running seem to go well. would you have a copy of a manual that you could photocopy for me? Be pleased to pay for the copies and postage. I had the wrong spelling for Ohlson. With this spelling there is not very much on the internet except info on the airplane engine of the 40's.
thanks, david
Old 10-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Subscriber

Liked 595 Times in 189 Posts

Sorry, I've never seen a manual for the O&R engines. I've never tried to start any of mine. I just figure the diaphrams in the carbs are probably shot and besides, for some of them (saws especially) if they don't run no one can accidently start one and chop off a leg!!

I've never been any good with 2-stroke carburetors but it sounds like the one on your engine needs a good cleaning and the needle valves set. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Registered-III

Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

it is hard to start...? are you using pump gas (87 octain)...try white gas (some where atound 55 octain) for your two stroke mix. when I got my drillgen the carby was all gumed up...i got a small oil can and removed the air filter, then put a bit of gasoline down the hole and gave the engine a few tugs, once it choughed to life I continured droping gas down the carby...this seemed to loosen things up some. I also very carfully took the carby apart and soaked the diaphram in gas to soften it a little... runs fine

Mac Leod
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Registered-II

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts

Ohlsson and Rice (the correct spelling) were made in Los Angeles from the early 1960's into the 1970's. Ford had nothing to do with the castings. I believe Lynwood Pattern made the tools, and may or may not have poured the crankcases.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an O R engine in a tiny tiger genset. I have the complete manuals, if u want i can scan it an send it to you via email. My engine was in a box in parts, i was complete, i have reassembled it but i cant make it start. Everething seems to be ok.

Heres my email an msn Juanmariani@hotmail.com

Please contact me

Juan From Argentina
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today, I found this site when searching for any information on O & R engines. I have a couple Ford chain saws that are fitted with these O & R engines. The smaller model has an engine with a round cyl. head; the larger model has a rectangular cylinder head. For the last 20 years or so, I have been using the larger model to cut down trees 7 make firewood etc. Many customers had trouble with the engine stalling. I quickly learned that engine stalling resulted from aggressive use & overheating. I was able to recognize the symptoms of a sudden loss of power. If an operator persisted in continuing to work, the engine would stall & then be difficult to restart. When I recognize the loss of power under heavy load, I just operate the saw under no load at various RPM.s to let it cools down then I just continue with wood cutting. Various people recommended various fuel octanes & various fuel/oil mixtures. I just use regular automotive fuel & add a bit of oil. Sometimes I have added too much oil & then may have to pull the rope start a couple more times to get started. Recently a windstorm knocked down several trees & created a need to clean up the mess. For the first tank of fuel, for some reason I had to keep the choke partially on to maintain sufficient cutting power. Before refueling, I was looking for a cause & found the the primary air filter had rotted away over the years. Further inspection revealed that the carburetor was severly
contaminated with fine saw dust, even under the diaphragm. After removing approx. a table spoon of saw dust "mush" from within the carburetor & reassembling (without any instructions) the engine runs great again without having to use some choke.

I always use some choke for starting but disengage the choke as soon as the engine give a firing kick. On next pull it usually starts & then I "play" with the choke adjustment for a couple moments until the engine warms up.

If I keep working under heavy load until fuel exhaustion causes shut down, it may be hard to restart until the engine cools down. This just give me time to have a short rest.

Lloyd
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Liked 186 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Info on O & R engines inc (Ohlsson and Rice)

Dave,
What is the model number? It should be a three digit number. Let us know, and I will e-mail you a PDF copy of what we have for it. If it has no tag, the numbers should be stamped on the engine case.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Subscriber

Liked 411 Times in 298 Posts

I had some literature on the O & R line of industrial engines, which are pretty much the same thing as the engines on the tools. If the engines were half as good as they looked in the info, they must have been pretty darn good.

The only one of these I've had so far was, if you can believe it, a leaf vacuum for yard work. I never ran it....just cleaned it a bit and took it to a swap meet and it was purchased quickly, I must say.

I typically clean the entire fuel system, making notes and diagrams as I take things apart. If I run into a bad part, like a diaphram or a gasket, well tough luck...get the parts some how. Then, after I run the engine, I run all the gas out of the carb and drain the gas tank before stowing it.

I don't target these for collecting, but I think they are a solid collectible with a good future. Being small and light, they may appeal to collectors who don't want to manage big and heavy engines, yet they were built to perform big, big jobs, albeit at a little slower pace than their larger "cousins". And...there is a wide variety of potential collectibles.

Heck, they used enough different colors to make for quite a display. Red generator....yellow chainsaw, beige yard vac, orange industrial engines. who knows what other colors......
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Subscriber

Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts

Don't forget the motor wheel thingy that went on the front wheel of a bicycle
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Subscriber

Liked 186 Times in 151 Posts

One of the bike engines was called the "Chicken Power". A friend has one, I will try to get him to send me a few pics of it to post here.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here is a photo of a 1 hp that my dad picked up at an auction. It's mounted on a worm drive winch.
Attached Thumbnails
1096507628_08212844ea.jpg  
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Subscriber

Liked 186 Times in 42 Posts

Hi, I just bought an O&R bicycle motor at an auction, I also have an Oregon chainsaw with one of these engines on it. There was a couple nice displays of O&R engines and different things they put them on at Portland a couple years ago. The most unique I thought was a self propelled golf bag caddy, but they put these engines on lots of different things.

Nathan
Old 09-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered-III

Liked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Info on O & R engines inc (Ohlsson and Rice)

How is this ?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Info on O & R engines inc (Ohlsson and Rice)

I aquired some time ago at a local weekend swapmeet a( then unknown brand) Ohlsson & Rice 3/4 hp engine. Complete minus a carburator, muffler,
and working spark plug. I was able to identify after visting a motorcycle
swap meet held monthly in Long Beach,CA. I have since relocated to
Portland,OR (just in time too miss the Great OR Steam Off) I would like
to learn about my engine and the uses intent for it. A source of literature,parts, and/or advise would be great. As would be initially
identifing which model I have. The man in Long Beach was not very helpful,
but did have some working engines and accesories in his collection, though
nothing for sale.Thanx!!!

Redsox72
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Liked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts

We bought a big 4" thick Kohler manual binder on ebay, and had it sent to our friends who brought it to the Buckley MI show the week before last.

When we looked at it, there was an O&R service manual inside.

It is dated 1967, and gives most of the information you need to strip and rebuild the engines.

If there is an immediate need, I'll get it scanned and put on the website, otherwise I'll answer any questions here.

There was also a trailer at Portland with 20 or more of these engines on it as a display. We took some pictures :-)

Peter
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered-II

Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts

I talked to that guy with the O&R trailer at Portland and he said that as far as he knew all of the O&R engines, used in consummer applications, were the same displacement but were rated anywhere between 1/2 and 1.0 HP. All of the military engines were painted green and rated at 1.0 HP. He has the best collection I have ever seen. He did not have his entire collection at the show and had the snowblower, skateboard, hedge trimmer, bicycle engine and many more applications at home. He can only get so much in his trailer at a time. He said also that there more than one generator, water pump, drill & chain saw applications that were used over the years. Every year he finds new applications for O&R engines that he did not know about.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered-II

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts

The information in the above post is not quite consistent with my recollection. O&R had three models (from the late 1960's), Compact I, II, and III.

The Compact I was 1.250 x 1.032 = 1.26CID and rated 3/4hp.
The Compact II was 1.250 x 1.096 = 1.34CID rated .85hp
The Compact II was also 1.250 x 1.096 = 1.34CID and rated 1hp

All of these engines were built from 1967 into the Seventies, and had the round cylinder head and the diaphragm carb with the large purge button on top.

Don't know whether designs changed later in the 70's. O&R was located in East LA near Olympic and Soto near where I grew up.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Liked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts

The book we have only mentions the Compact III and only one cylinder size is given.

1.250" x 1.096" = 1.34CID 1hp @ 6300rpm.

$US 49.00 with round tank.

Peter