Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Clinton engine pictures

HI, does anyone know were those clinton engine pictures went on that clinton engine site?...

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 26115 times

Old 11-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Sky

Default Clinton engine pictures

HI, does anyone know were those clinton engine pictures went on that clinton engine site? www.clintonengines.com

i think i got the right site......there use to be all kinds of clinton engine pictures there.....now there's no pictures.? did i get the right site? or does anyone know any links to clinton engine pictures? from start of production ti'll the end?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: clinton engine pictures

A little late as I'm a new user. Try this site:
http://www.simplicityva.com/engines/clinton-list.html
ken
Old 02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: clinton engine pictures

Did all CLINTON engines around 2HP have a thumbscrew type oil filler?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: clinton engine pictures

can any one give me any info on my Clinton 3100 1000 engine. all i know is it has low hours starts right up on first pull and still has the factory mounting templet under the engine
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0030.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: clinton engine pictures

2nd pic front veiw
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Clinton engine pictures

oh i forgot to ask the otherday does anyone know what champion sparkplug i can use in my clinton? currently it has a riverside 14632 sparkplug in it, and i just want to have an appropriate replacement on hand! thanks alot!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0038.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Clinton engine pictures

You can use a J19LM or J8C
CJ
The Following User Says Thank You to CJBennett:
Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Clinton engine pictures

great thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Subscriber

Wow, I have one of these that was given to me. Sometimes a gift is a good deal and sometime it is not. The engine started and ran fine, but smoked like a smokestack. Upon disassembly I found the following wrong:
1- The bore was worn oval and over .010 in. over size.
2- The valves were shot
3- The valve guides were hopelessly worn out
4- The main bearings were worn oblong and so oversize that the flywheel was rubbing against the coil.

I used it as an exercise to see if I could bore the cylinder. That worked out quite well, especially since I used my mill drill. I over bored .020 oversize and got a good clean, round bore. I was going to get the parts to fix it, but the total came to over $120. It just didn’t seem worth it for this engine.

Last edited by Craig DeShong; 12-18-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: fixed measurement
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered-II

cool! it would be worth fixing if you need a small engine for something! its a lot cheaper than buying a new one! i only had to replace my rotted out gas tank! it was very hard to find another like it!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered-II

Speaking of Clinton engines, I ran across something that Clinton engine collectors or anyone wanting more information on Clinton engines may find of interest. I belong to the Vintage Garden Tractor Club Of America (VGTCA). They publish a newletter 6 times a year that is dedicated to, as their name indicates, the preservation of vintage garden tractors of all kinds. Every once and a while they offer publications for sale that they put together. Available now is: The Clinton Engine Story and The Bolens story. They are offered at a very noiminal cost and do a great job in describing in detail how these companies were formed, along with many pictures and illustrations, and what happened to them through the years. You can contat VGTCA as follows:
Jim Cunzenheim
412 W. Chestnut Street
Pardeeville, WI 53954
608-429-4520
E-Mail towrpowr27@yahoo.com
Website www.vgtcoa.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Metzger:
Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Subscriber

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the Clinton & Bolens information. I've had an interest in Clinton engines for many years and have acquired a few including a couple of circa 1955 chain saws. The one tips the scales at 37 lbs, while the other is a lightweight at 25 lbs. The heavier one is a belt drive to the chain. Had some fun trying to find a belt for it, every place I asked told me it was a boat anchor! Fooled them though, eventually located a belt at Engine Parts Supply Co. in Minneapolis, Minn. in 1992. Start it up occasionally just to hear it run. Flywheel acts like a gyroscope when it's revved up and takes quite an effort to turn the saw!

Anyway I'm hoping to get copies of the Clinton and Bolens information you mentioned.

Bill
Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Clinton engine pictures

Too bad Clinton like many other engine manufacturers in the US have gone. But I guess as they say "you don't appreciate something until it is gone...". I'm going to drive over to the restored museum and make a donation next time I'm up in that area. Love those old Clinton engines. For some of us they were a fond childhood memory.

http://sites.google.com/site/clinton707abr6/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack H:
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack H View Post
Too bad Clinton like many other engine manufacturers in the US have gone. But I guess as they say "you don't appreciate something until it is gone...". I'm going to drive over to the restored museum and make a donation next time I'm up in that area. Love those old Clinton engines. For some of us they were a fond childhood memory.

http://sites.google.com/site/clinton707abr6/
saturday i pulled my mid 50's clinton 3100 out and dusted it off. i havent started it since late fall, grega and his dad witnessed it as i said I call it my little one pull wonder. it is the one engine i have that starts on the first pull about 90% of the times i pull it out to run it. and just to think my grandpa trash picked this engine years ago and used the little belt driven generator to run a battery charger for the bulldozer in the shed. i think it has very low hours on it. and it took right off as i said it would in one pull! boy i love that engine! and i really should pull the engine off the board its on and take a picture of the original clinton mounting template that is under the engine!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Briggs View Post
saturday i pulled my mid 50's clinton 3100 out and dusted it off. i havent started it since late fall, grega and his dad witnessed it as i said I call it my little one pull wonder. it is the one engine i have that starts on the first pull about 90% of the times i pull it out to run it. and just to think my grandpa trash picked this engine years ago and used the little belt driven generator to run a battery charger for the bulldozer in the shed. i think it has very low hours on it. and it took right off as i said it would in one pull! boy i love that engine! and i really should pull the engine off the board its on and take a picture of the original clinton mounting template that is under the engine!
Hey I for one would love to see it!https://sites.google.com/site/clinton707abr6/