Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

blower recommendation/ off topic?

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 2637 times

Old 11-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered-III

Default blower recommendation/ off topic?

Were thinking of getting a new back pack type blower to replace our old one. The one were looking at is the Homelite back pack blower. Do any of you guys know if these are good quality and will last a while? Here's a link http://www.homelite.com/products/blo...uctdisplay.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 651 Posts
Default Re: blower recommendation/ off topic?

Homelite's a good brand to buy. I'd pay attention to the velocity though. I've a Sears that's supposed to have 205 mph wind speed. It gets used for blowing those pesky "dustings" of snow off the garage apron and sidewalks. It seems about right. The vac attatchment has plenty of pickup power. Not strictly pushing my choice of Sears, but, in my opinion, 200 mph plus velocity seems to be most effective.
~M~
Old 11-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,347 Posts

I have a little Homelite backpack blower. It was a refrubished one from a close-out store called Big Lots. I think it was on sale for $89.99. The one I have has a locking throttle trigger, which is nice so your hand & finger don't get cramped. I think it claims 200 mph. I got about 4 good years out if it and now it has carb / fuel line problems. Nothing fatal, just haven't gotten around to fixing it.
Just my 2 cents worth....

I Can Probably Fix That

Last edited by John Newman, Jr.; 11-26-2005 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Registered-III

What's it like with the backpack? Does it heat up and got hot with the engine on your back? Also, is it alot louder having it on your back rather than holding it in your hand? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Card Sponsor

Hi I have worked on these things for the last 25 years. Most Homelite Royobi Sears Poulan Troybilt ETC in my opinion are junk. They only have a half of a crank,they are labor intensive to work on the starter,they have a one ring piston ETC. A good blower like Echo Red Max or Stihl will cost more but will out last the cheapies. My preference is Red Max. The starter comes off with 4 screws and we charge 13.50 for a starter repair on the better brands. The others cost between 30 and 40 for a starter repair. It's kinda like pay now or later. Just my $5 worth.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Registered-III

Yeah, I agree to that the Homelite is probably not the best brand/quality out there. We have looked at the Echoes which are pretty nice but were not looking to spend a whole lot, it won't be used a whole lot if that makes much difference.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Registered-III

What's it like with the backpack? Does it heat up and got hot with the engine on your back? Also, is it alot louder having it on your back rather than holding it in your hand? Just curious, I haven't used a back pack blower before.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsman
Hi I have worked on these things for the last 25 years. Most Homelite Royobi Sears Poulan Troybilt ETC in my opinion are junk. They only have a half of a crank,they are labor intensive to work on the starter,they have a one ring piston ETC. A good blower like Echo Red Max or Stihl will cost more but will out last the cheapies. My preference is Red Max. The starter comes off with 4 screws and we charge 13.50 for a starter repair on the better brands. The others cost between 30 and 40 for a starter repair. It's kinda like pay now or later. Just my $5 worth.
Have to agree on the brands being.........well....."sub species".
Have you encountered problems with the carburators often coming loose from the engines. I've had this problem with my Sears blower/vac since I bought it four years ago.
Thanks
~M~
Old 11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,841 Times in 2,476 Posts
Exclamation Re: blower recommendation/ off topic?

Most of the "junk" homeowner blowers will last twice as long, or longer, if you add more oil to the mix. For most engines with a ratio of 40:1 or higher, mix the oil at 32:1. Those rated at 32:1, mix at 20, or 16:1. Most of these units are designed to run to burn out at about 2 years usage, (60 days commercial). The oiling is minimal, so wear is increased. With the added oil, the engine lasts longer. For winter storage - fill tank to tip top, and run a minimum of 10 minutes per week, topping off tank when thru. This will keep humidity from causing corrosion, will keep fresh oil in the cases, will lube and keep fresh the oil seals on the crank, and will keep fresh fuel in the carb, to prevent gum up.
Andrew
Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for the info, wouldn't using more oil be more smoky?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered-II

well here is my opinion increased oil in the fuel leads to clogged screens in the mufflers and poor or no performace also if you use a fuel stabilzer and run it in on your engine this will stablize the fuel in the tank and carb.......but instead of starting it every week eagle brand sells a fogging oil that you spray in the plug hole when you are ready to winterize your engine this works very well on preventing any condensation or corrision in the cylinder area. also it is better to pay the extra for the better blower echo, redmax, ect....but that also depends on the use that you intend for your blower the average joe uses their blower a couple weeks out of the year unless you blow all the clipping after you mow the grass and most cheapo blowers will suffice quite well under normal condition just keep in mind that when repair time comes it is usually cheaper to buy another cheapo....
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen Wilcox
Were thinking of getting a new back pack type blower to replace our old one. The one were looking at is the Homelite back pack blower. Do any of you guys know if these are good quality and will last a while? Here's a link http://www.homelite.com/products/blo...uctdisplay.htm
Austen, do youself a big favor, get a sthil back pack blower we tried others, worn them out quick, switch to sthil, have not when back to anything else starting & running, the best , still using the first ones we bought, many years ago....

bdmelon
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Registered-III

Yeah if I could convince my parents! They're the ones that would be buying it for me and they don't want to spend a whole lot on a blower unfortunately.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered-III

Austen, let you parents read this, may help. think of it this way, you buy what you pay for. sure sthil is higher price, but with the right fuel mixture in engine , this blower will out last 3 of those toy blowers with out a lot of headache, we own sthil everything, blowers, chainsaws, my father in law,still has one of the very early model chainsaws it's at least 30years old, possilbly more. still starts on 2nd pull of rope, my sthil weed wacker is about 13 years old , still has same spark plug in it, still starts easy. so mom & dad think it over before making a buy on lawn equipment.

bd melon
Old 11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen Wilcox
What's it like with the backpack? Does it heat up and got hot with the engine on your back? Also, is it alot louder having it on your back rather than holding it in your hand? Just curious, I haven't used a back pack blower before.
Hello Austen,
I use a stihl backpack blower, up to 4 hrs. a day in season, IT IS A LOT
more comfortable, then holding one by hand, weight is not bad at all & does not get hot on your back ,at least the stihl one does'nt. I would sure buy a
pair of earphones,as noise from all back pack models are loud, from whistling
noise is high pitched, protect your ears. but sure beats racking by hand.

Mrs Melon

P.s. My wife read this post a had to put her 2 cents in , but she does use the heck out of it. And she is right on this one
bd melon
Old 11-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered-III

Yes I'll have them read it. I've talked to them about getting one that is better quality but to them, a blower is not something that you need to get that is really good quality like for example a lawnmower or something because it won't be used as often. Remember, this isn't my opinion. Each time it would be used would be right after the lawn was mowed for about 5 minutes, then when it's fall, it would be used more for leaves. I hate to ask this, but is there any "cheapies" that are better then others?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Registered-III

Austen, cheapie, well go get a lowe's special better yet if you want to make your dad real happy , when he tries to start it, go get a McCullon blower ( NOT), he will enjoy life with that in 1 year , when breaks down a parts cost more , then what he paid for it.

Toro , I guess would be the choice for you work, don't quote me on this

have fun Austen, maybe Santa Claus will feel sorry and drop off a sthil! HA

later
bd melon

P.S. Mrs Melon, Does your Dad want to drive a JAG. or drive VW bug, looks like he's picking the VW bug.. ...HA good luck Austen, but if only for 10 mins of work, your folks do have a point, but still try for the backpack model !
Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for the info...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered-III

I know that Andrew Mackey has said that a 2 stroke engine will last twice as long if you use more oil for it. Wouldn't all the 2 stroke manufarcture's suggest that you use more oil if it would last twice as long? It seems like a good idea!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,841 Times in 2,476 Posts
Thumbs up Re: blower recommendation/ off topic?

Most of the cheaper engines are designed with 'programmed obsolescense' in mind - use it for 1 or 2 years, throw away, buy another one. The Stihl machine is just the opposite - well engineered, built to last, and if used a lot - to stand up to the usage of commercial work. When the engines warm up, you will not see smoke. Even the maytag singles, if you load them so that they don't miss, will stop smoking after a minute! As for the exhaust screen - you usually have to clean it yearly any way. The idea is to add a little extra oil, not to double the ammount used. A little extra won't smoke, and will extend engine life - even in the Stihl!
Andrew