Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Busy Bee engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3017 times

Old 04-10-2001, 08:35 PM
Arlie

Default Busy Bee engine

I ran across a strange engine by the name of "Busy Bee". At first glance, it looks like a Briggs and Stratton type of motor. The engine is a horizontal shaft design, but the cylinder is not vertical; the cylinder lays over horizontal. At a glance, it resembles one half of a twin cylinder Onan. I have found only one reference to these on the net. Does anybody else have on of these. Anyone have any other info? Thanks, Arlie.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2001, 09:03 PM
Ed Kinch

Default Re: Busy Bee engine

Hello;I have owned two of these engines and they were both severe oil burners.Run it until fully warmed and see how badly it smokes.Be sure it is full of oil or it may not smoke as much as it would if it were. Ed
Old 04-11-2001, 01:24 AM
Bill Sherlock

Arlie, I have one of these engines. I traded a 6 pack of malting barley product for it. I think its rated at 5-6 HP and was manufactured by Gladden Products Corp., Glendale, CA. Mine is missing the air cleaner and muffler but not seized. I haven't tried to run it yet, but some day hope to get to it. I'm still looking for an owners/parts manual. Anyone out there happen to know who has one to sell or photocopy?

Bill
Old 04-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Bill Sherlock

I found reference to the "Busy Bee" engine in Alan C. King's - Gasoline Engines 1909 - 1962 on page 24. I believe it is a reprint of an ad from 1945, that includes a drawing of the engine. The ad states that a revolutionary 5 HP all-purpose engine has been anounced by Kinner Motors, Inc. of Glendale, CA, engine manufacturer for the past 26 years. Called the "Busy Bee" the Kinner model AB-3 is an air cooled, 4 cycle, L head engine rated at 5 HP @ 2,600 RPM but at 6 HP @ 3,250 RPM. Bore is 2 3/4" with 3" stroke, displacement 17.8 cubic inches. The cylinder is horizontal and detachable, making maintenance easier. Full pressure lubrication is supplied by a positive high pressure pump. There are other features mentioned in the ad. It's possible Kinner Motors was taken over by Gladden Products Corp. as both show the same address.

Bill