Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Geiser-Peerless Photos

this thread has 143 replies and has been viewed 21929 times

Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Geiser-Peerless Photos

Here are several pictures of "ZZ" and "Z-3" Geiser-Peerless Steam Engines. I wanted to post these photos for Chad Yelland who recently asked for "ZZ" Geiser Engine Photos. The "ZZ" Geiser #12748 was found on a mountaintop south of Coeur D' Lane, Idaho in 1985-86. Willis Abel, Junior Christian, Joe and Dale Richardson, and Austin Monk went to rescue it in 1986. It was missing several parts when they found it. Willis had it restored in 1989, but did not fine it up until 1991. Notice that the drive wheels have the hub to fit extension wheels. This engine has a lap-seam boiler and carries 150psi. It also has a friction clutch.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Geiser-Peerless Photos

The next three photos show the 1907 “Z-3” Geiser #13131. The “ZZ” and “Z-3” both have 8 ˝” x 10” cylinders. This engine has a pin clutch. This engine was originally used for threshing. Austin Monk was the engineer on this engine from 1987-1999 until Willis sold it to Cliff Foster. Austin and Carl Mehmke are shown in the photos running the engine. The “Z-3” also has a lap seam and carries 150 psi. I’d like to see lots of Geiser-Peerless photos on this new thread!

Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,200 Times in 1,606 Posts

Hey Kevin, My friend,
It is sure good to see those pictures of Austin Monk on Willis' first Z-3. I ran into your picture recently of the one of Austin sitting on the back end of this Z-3. It reminds me of one of the postcards of a Z-Z or Z-3 plowing in the old days and has an older gentleman sitting on the platform in nearly the same manner and wearing nearly the same hat!
Gary
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Registered-III

Gary,
I know exactly which photo your talking about and i'll post it here tomorrow.i have lots of Geiser-Peerless(And Reeves) photos. to post. I'm sure you will enjoy these photos as much as I enjoy posting them for you and everyone else here on smostak. Kevin
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Subscriber

Hey Kevin
Mike Rohrer here.
I'm glad to see you make on the list. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Subscriber

Kevin,
I hope you don't mind me adding a Geiser-Peerless photo. Maybe you or Mike can straighten me out as to what it is. I took this at Oscar Cooke's Dreamland Museum quite a few years ago. Oscar brought many eastern engines to his museum that otherwise wouldn't have gotten this far west.
Gary

Old 02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Subscriber

Gary,
An old Landis type Peerless. Can anyone read the steam chest cover? Maybe a double R?
Jack Hottel
Peerless 50
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,519 Times in 982 Posts

Jack is correct that it is an old Landis Gieser Peerless. I used to have one like that and it is an "R" or a "RR" but I can't see the back of the steam chest casting either. Note that the top of the steam dome is cast iron with the throttle lever built into the side of it. That entire dome bolted on so that it can be taken off to work on the throttle valve. Also, notice the row of rivets just behind the smokebox door so the front is "wet", similar to the water leg of a vertical boiler if it was laid on its side with the fire door up for the smokestack hole. There are no clutch shoes in the flywheel because the gear slides on the shaft to put it in gear. The front wheels would have been all wooden and the rear spokes are wood also. The back bunkers are incorrect, and would have been the shorter type that were almost square, and the tops and bottoms would have been casting with skins to make the tank. The casting on the side of the barrel is for filling the boiler with buckets of water and the funnel is missing on the filler. The gauge is in the wrong location and there should be a round hole in the rear cannon bearing casting where the gauge would be located. The front and rear axles are sprung. There is also a break on the cannon shaft and they work very well. One last item, the water glass is behind the front edge of the flywheel and I never liked the thought of that design if the belt flew off. Mr. Abel told me how many there were with the cast iron dome that he knew of, but I can't remember if it was three or five.

Jeff Smith
Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered-III

Hey, nice pics thanks alot. the first 3 of one engine and the next 3 of the other? on a ZZ and one a Z3, I was trying to remember the number of the one were working on,, its a ZZ from 1909 and i think the number is #14249, but i'll double check, theres allso a 1907 ZZ with a much shorter boiler and diff feed water heaters, and im not sure or the date or model of the other but im sure its a ZZ also. we noticed the boilers on the ZZ are not very thick, 5/16 when new! seems awfull light, Mike sent me some info and pics, aswell as some blue prints, Thanks again, i'll see if i can post a pic, why it was ever painted yellow, with orange wheels and green jacket i'll never know, but as you can see the dark red burgundy is still under it.
Attached Thumbnails
geiser.JPG   rear.JPG  
Old 02-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Geiser-Peerless Photos

This is a picture of my 1897 Peerless Model "Q" ready for the shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.JPG  
Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Registered-III

More Pictures...
  1. The first picture is from the National Threshers Reunion in Wauseon, OH. This year it was dusty and HOT.
  2. The second picture is from Miami Valley Steam Threshers show in Plain City, OH. A bad check prevented me from operating. DRAT. One of my sons decided that mud does not belong on the wheels and I agree.
  3. The third picture is from the Richland County Steam Threshers Show.
  4. The fourth picture is "Old Bet(sy)" getting a little exercise on the buzz saw.
Attached Thumbnails
picture 2a.jpg   picture 3a.jpg   picture 4a.jpg   picture 5a.jpg  
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Registered-III

More Pictures...

The first picture shows the location of the steam gauge that Jeff Smith was referring to in a previous post. Also, you can see the brake lever he also referred to. (Pardon my posterior.)
The second picture is at Malabar Heritage Days. No steam allowed so I did some maintenance on the wooden spokes using boiled linseed oil.
Attached Thumbnails
picture 6a.jpg   picture 7.JPG  
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,322 Times in 662 Posts

I was just leafing through Jack Norbeck's encyclopedia and I notice that in the Peerless section he mentions a gentleman by the name of Samuel Osborn who was intending to set up a Geiser museum in New Oxford, Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if this ever happened or have any photos of the collection?

David
Old 02-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered-III

Here are a couple more photos of the 1907 Z-3 40-120HP Geiser. The first photo shows the Z-3 parked next to the 1910 36-120 HP Rumely #5675. The next photo is of the late Austin Monk taking a "cat nap" on the fireman's platform. I usually parked the 32 Reeves next to the Z-3 he was running and always cleaned out the firebox,ashpan and flues for him in the morning.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered-III

Chad,

Here are a couple more photos of the "ZZ" 35-120HP Geiser #12478. The first photo show the engine in the building when it was just restored. The next two show the engine being fired up for the first time in 1991.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered-III

20 Reeves Highwheeler

Here are some Belgrade photos for you. That's you "making it happen" for Dale Richardson. I am so glad I had my camera when Austin made his round with the Z-3. THe camera was pretty well beat up in the toolbox, but it took these photos that I treasure very much today. I remember being there like it was yesterday.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Small
20 Reeves Highwheeler

Here are some Belgrade photos for you. That's you "making it happen" for Dale Richardson. I am so glad I had my camera when Austin made his round with the Z-3. THe camera was pretty well beat up in the toolbox, but it took these photos that I treasure very much today. I remember being there like it was yesterday.

Kevin,
Thanks for posting these. I don't think I have the one of me firing for "The Gentle Giant," Dale Richardson? I am pretty sure Laurie Barnes-Ford's little boy is an upper classman in high school? Doesn't time fly when we are having fun?? I am sitting on the tank as Austin made his final round at Belgrade. Was John Schrock firing, I don't remember? Thanks for posting these!
Gary
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Subscriber

Doug McDougall gives Austin Monk's Z-3 Peerless Road Locomotive a big drink at Belgrade, Montana. Austin is walking toward the camera.

The second picture you already posted, but I scanned it larger. The third is another of your photos, Kevin, and is the one of Austin and Willis with Willis' original Z-3.
Gary

Old 02-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parfitt
I was just leafing through Jack Norbeck's encyclopedia and I notice that in the Peerless section he mentions a gentleman by the name of Samuel Osborn who was intending to set up a Geiser museum in New Oxford, Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if this ever happened or have any photos of the collection?

David
David, Sam passed away several years ago, I believe that most of his collection was sold at an estate sale. Also, If I remember correctly,Sam was part of the Osborn farm equipment family.

Mike Z
Old 02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered-III

I must make a correction on the ZZ Geiser that Willis Abel owned. It is #12135. I stated that it was#12748 (or 12478 that was wrong too). the ZZ Geiser #12478 was on the cover of the July-August 1984 IMA is owned by Frank Childers,Clarksville,TN.Sorry for the mix-up on the serial numbers.