Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

Keck Gonnerman Q & A

Since there has been some questions on Keck engines in another thread, I thought I would just start...

this thread has 1231 replies and has been viewed 125928 times

Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,214 Times in 1,945 Posts
Default Re: Keck Gonnerman Q & A

Any idea who wound up buying the big Missouri Keck?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,993 Times in 1,532 Posts

Colin,
I'm short of stuff at the moment, so decided to do some Broderick 101 on the Canadian Reeves.

This first photo is one my good friend Melvin Pierce took in Canada at one of the museums showing an early Broderick Brothers Canadian Special 32 hp Double Simple boiler at one of the museums. These boilers on the CS Reeves were 7/16" on the outer wrapper and notice they had the rear and steering wingsheets riveted on as a separate piece from the wagon top.

This next catalog cut is of the first Canadian Special 32 Reeves (I don't have the serial number here) cross compound (The double simple came later, as they didn't have the boiler designed for it yet.) and notice the main steam line with no flange or union. (It would take a good pipefitter to get everything to work out at the governor with its flange.) Some of the later engines with Broderick Brothers boilers did have a flange atop the steam dome, but always had a straight main steam line as shown here. These engines had shorter flues and barrel than the later Titusville 32 cc CS boilers as below.

This is Reeves 32 cc CS #6269 with Broderick Brothers boiler when Charlie Harrison had gotten it to his place in Ohio, from Montana. This was my dad's and his brother's engine and is now the Brodbeck Reeves, as it WAS.

This is the later 1/2" outer wrapper, single sheet wagon top 32 cc Canadian Special boiler. This is the type of boiler now installed on #6269. Some of the Titusville Iron Works boilers, as this one, had a straight steamline from the valve to the governor, but all of the remaining engines of the 32 hp Canadian Special engine size now have the two 45 degree elbows making up the "gooseneck" steam line.
Gary

Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Subscriber

Canadian Special 101 continued:

This is Tyler's 32 cc Canadian Special #7181 with latest style Titusville boiler and gooseneck steam line. That was me beside it in 1958.

This is the oldest known Canadian Special at serial number 6243 and this 25 hp cc Canadian Special also has the distinction of being the only complete Canadian Special Reeves that still has a Broderick Brothers boiler on it. I understand this boiler would need some attention to ever be fired again. That is why this Canadian museum has it all polished up and in a museum. This photo is courtesy of my good friend Melvin Pierce. That is a 20 bottom plow behind it.

Gary
P.S. Your thread will soon go over 30,000, Colin!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered-III

I still haven't found out who bought the MO Keck. Of course I've been gone a week. And HalfKeck, no, I didn't make it to "the" beach. I got thinking that Florida has seen its share of natural disasters in the past few years and I didn't want to add to the chaos. We went to Clearwater and Siesta Beach. Very nice and relaxing.
Anyway I'll try and track down the MO Keck owner. I still have the seller's phone number. I see that the separator is relisted. Still too much.
Tom
Old 06-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Subscriber

Hey Keck Gonnerman people.... I have stated from time to time, old f@rts like me shouldn't be allowed to own computers. All I can say is "I am sorry for posting on your thread." I thought I had the Old Engine Thread up; I wrote for a half hour; I posted then I looked and couldn't find what I'd sent where. Please forgive me? I didn't mean to.........
Gary
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,577 Times in 501 Posts

Highwheeler, no problem we understand. and it could have been far worse, I mean at least they were made in the same state and shared boilers from the same source right? Now if you would have put a certain wisconsin built engine on our fine thread, then we would have had to send out a "delegation" to visit you and your computer to discuss the error of your ways....
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Registered-III

I did find out that the MO Keck went to Nebraska. I have the owner's name on file. I'd rather not post it here without his permission as I haven't contacted him yet. Glad to see it stayed in the States!
Tom
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Subscriber

Hey 1615, they have a couple of real nice Kecks here at wauseon. Today they had a rear mount Keck on the sawmill. 1838, 22hp round spoke. I took a picture of it on the sawmill, with our little keck belted up to the sawmill in the foreground. If it turns out good, I will post it. Too bad you got stuck doing the work thing......Of course I will need to work about three jobs to pay this trip off, but hey, it's worth it right..?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered-III

I have A 19 HP rear mount #1761 it sat along I70 in herman MO untill 1989 I took it to mclouth KS to a show now it is at home
Old 06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Subscriber

Talked with another keck owner here at wauseon today. He has a real nice sidemount, but has no idea of the serial number as the plate was missing. His wife actually painted the keck logos on the tanks, complete with all the detail on the decals, like the big white house. It looks very nice, man I wish I could remember names better sometimes...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Registered-III

HalfKeck, try and get me some pictures and any ancient history from the owne, if you can. If, and only if, the canopy cross member that goes right over the rear supports is original, the number may be stamped in it on the front side. Also, it may be stamped on the canopy cross member that is immediately behind the stack. It will be stamped on the stack side, or front of the wood. On some of the older engines, Keck cut out a little "divit" on that stack cross member and inserted a piece of apple wood with the serial number on it. This was done on my no number 20 horse but the heat from the stack had burnt out the wood and just a blackened area was all that was left. Of course, these points are mute if the canopy has totally been replaced.
Round front axle vs. channel, along with some other "details" may get it in the ball park. Parts numbers help too.
Tell you what. Go over the entire engine and get me all the part numbers and about six dozen pictures, and I might be able to tell you what decade it was built. Enjoy the show!
Tom
Old 06-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Subscriber

Man I wish I would have read this before we loaded up and headed for home Maybe someone else will be able to help
Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Thanked 9,535 Times in 3,042 Posts

HalfKeck,

You were talking to Kevin & Barb Hayslett of Sheridan, MI. The picture of their engine is posted on one of the Wauseon threads....She also did the Keck shirts that Kevin was wearing.

Kevin did a huge amount of work to the Keck & refers to it a "Miss Peggy." He sent a story in to IMA a couple of years ago...give or take.

Beth
Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Subscriber

Here are a few pics of some Kecks at the NTA show. One is of the hand painted Keck logos on Kevins engine. I admire it when someone takes time to handcraft things and this is a really nice looking engine. I thought the hand painted decals were a nice touch. He said his wife had many many hours in painting all three. It sounded real good and they did work it.

The other picture I hope comes out all right is of our engine belted to our sawmill with the NTAs bigger sawmill in the background, with a full size Keck rear mount belted to it. I thought it was neat having a big Keck single rear mount belted to a sawmill with a little Keck single rear mount belted to a sawmill in the same picture. My brother Doug is firing the engine as he always does when we are at shows. This picture was taken early in the show as evidenced by the small amount of sawdust in our pile and the fact that the wheels are still clean. I took care of both things personally later on, sawing a lot more and getting the wheels all dirty when I got stuck for a minute coming back from the parade....just about where I stood to get this picture actually...
Attached Thumbnails
keckdecal.jpg   kgkgohio.jpg  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,214 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfKeck
Here are a few pics of some Kecks at the NTA show. One is of the hand painted Keck logos on Kevins engine. I admire it when someone takes time to handcraft things and this is a really nice looking engine. I thought the hand painted decals were a nice touch. He said his wife had many many hours in painting all three. It sounded real good and they did work it.
That's quite some artistry involved in that decal, my hat's off to 'em.

I like the pic of the big-n-little Kecks!
Half Keck, did you see the pics from Pawnee where Lawrence's 1/2 scale G/S is parked in front of my full scale 18?

Mike
Old 07-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Subscriber

Here is another picture of dubious quality. I took it inside the owners shop, but did not have a lot of time to move stuff around. It is of a 16hp Keck awaiting restoration. The smoke box is off, actually was a separate piece from the rest of the boiler and had straps riveting it in place, kind of different. This is one of those dual number Kecks that was sent back to the factory and rebuilt and renumbered. Not many of this size still exist, so I thought a picture would be of interest. Just needs a little (a lot) of TLC. We will see this one at a show some day.

Steam daddy I did see your big and little G-S pics. Even better I got to meet Lawrence at Wauseon.

We will be showing next at the Adams TN show if my permit gets issued as promised by the state. The new TN boiler rules took effect the 28th of June Just have to get all the paperwork filed.....
Attached Thumbnails
16hp Keck.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Subscriber

Here is a picture of the dome and some of the valve arrangemment. Again, sorry about the quality. I was trying to balance while standing on the front wheel and not drop the camera. I already found out that digital cameras do not like impacts this year. This is the early style valve arrangement for Kecks. I can't remember, I think this is the Gentry then they switched to the Miller style with the "dog bones" at some call it. I think someone once was telling me that Keck Gonnerman made one such change to get out of paying royalties to the inventor as the revised version was designed by someone they employed. It is really neat to see how many different designs were made on the valve arrangements for steam engines, using complex geometry that worked well, all without the help of computers.
Attached Thumbnails
16hpkeckdome.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Subscriber

One thing I wanted to mention is that when the current owner purchased this 16hp, it had a trailer ball hitch screwed in where the safety was supposed to be Almost got to read about this one too.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Hey Tom I was wandering around an old sawmill site and found this running gear without wheels. I think it is an small K-G water wagon
Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Subscriber

Well that did not go, so try try again. Actually this is a picture of when I got out the water wagon and was going to patch a small hole on the bottom. It had leaked last year and we put a little weld patch on it to hold. I was going to redo that and fix it better, but found that the whole bottom was in poor shape with several small holes when I got it apart.

And here is the fix, my brother cut the top off, fiberglassed it, welded it back on and painted it. We literally were putting it together as we loaded it up for the trip to Wauseon.....
Attached Thumbnails
wagontop.jpg   wagonpaint.jpg