Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Propulsion Engine Co.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1890 times

Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Subscriber

Default Propulsion Engine Co.

I have a Mow-Master pushmower that has a 2 stroke Propulsion engine Company "PowerPak" engine on it. The styling on this is late 30's early 40's art deco. It has about 90% of it's original deep blue paint. There are 4 wheels, 2 front, 2 back. Pretty much a standard format, but the rear wheels are tucked under the deck, out of sight. The cutting hieght is adjusted by loosening a large clamping collar on the mower deck base. The engine sits on a long column that is slid up or down to the desired cutting hieght. The engine looks like it would be more at home on top of an old outboard motor than a mower deck. It's gas tank has that style and is oval shaped with a small gas filler so typical of early outboards. Has a rope starter sheave. The crankshaft is drilled and ported for fuel/air induction the same way a Maytag twin is. This engine uses a Tillotson carb and is definitely NOT a Maytag. I am going to try and post a pic of the mower here later tonite. I have a brochure from this company that is dated 1950, and the mowers shown in it are early jet-age styled. That's about as much as I've found on this thing. Anybody here own or know about machines like this???
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Propulsion Engine Co.

I have to propulsion engines. The two I have match your description one of them the crankshaft was torched off -probably when it was removed from the mower and the other engine is missing the carb. I hope to be able to make one out of the two but it's low on the project list. If you find any other info I'd love to get a copy. Thanks

Doug
Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Card Sponsor

Hi I have an owners/parts manual for this engine. They were used on early Bolens walk behinds. I can copy the one I have and sell them for what ever I have to pay for the copy plus mailing. Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Subscriber

Did a little digging and found out that Propulsion Engine Co. was in business at least until 1960. I found an advertisement for them on ebay. (it's a great research tool !) The ad shows tin deck pushers w/ Briggs engines on them, a roto-tiller and a riding lawnmower. There are ads for 1953 that show a variation of the 2 stroke engine with a tin tank. It sits on a conventional 1950's styled tin deck.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

Wow! This does bring back memories. My Dad was a Mow Master dealer, beginning in '51. Back then it was the first and only rotary mower made

When Propulsion dropped the 2-stroke PowerPak for the Briggs engines, it was the death knell for Mow Master. Contrary to most 2-stroke engines today, those PowerPaks were still running long after the Briggs engines were dead and gone.

Wish we could buy something with that kind of quality today.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lynch View Post
I have a Mow-Master pushmower that has a 2 stroke Propulsion engine Company "PowerPak" engine on it. The styling on this is late 30's early 40's art deco. It has about 90% of it's original deep blue paint. There are 4 wheels, 2 front, 2 back. Pretty much a standard format, but the rear wheels are tucked under the deck, out of sight. The cutting hieght is adjusted by loosening a large clamping collar on the mower deck base. The engine sits on a long column that is slid up or down to the desired cutting hieght. The engine looks like it would be more at home on top of an old outboard motor than a mower deck. It's gas tank has that style and is oval shaped with a small gas filler so typical of early outboards. Has a rope starter sheave. The crankshaft is drilled and ported for fuel/air induction the same way a Maytag twin is. This engine uses a Tillotson carb and is definitely NOT a Maytag. I am going to try and post a pic of the mower here later tonite. I have a brochure from this company that is dated 1950, and the mowers shown in it are early jet-age styled. That's about as much as I've found on this thing. Anybody here own or know about machines like this???
I have a late '40's Mow Master that sounds pretty much like yours. I remember seeing these when I was a kid growing up in Kansas City (where they were built). I clearly remember them looking like something out of a Bug Bunny cartoon with Marvin the Martian!!! Everyone that sees my old Mow Master is knocked out by it's styling.

Propulsion Engines (maker of the Mow Master) seems to have been absorbed by Briggs & Stratton from what I have been able to determine. The last references I've been able to find on them were in the mid-1960's

Would you be interested in selling your mower? If so, I'm interested! Give me a call at 818-371-9848 or email @ roundengine@sbcglobal.net Thanks, Jeff Pearson
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=pdruber;249908]Wow! This does bring back memories. My Dad was a Mow Master dealer, beginning in '51. Back then it was the first and only rotary mower made

QUOTE]

Hate to disagree with you but . . .

Goodall was building rotary mowers as early as 1947 (with Goodall conversions of horizontal shaft Lauson RSC engines to vertical operation).

Motomower was building rotary mowers as early as 1948 with Clinton engines. I have a VS701 Clinton from a Motomower built in 1948.

I’ve seen a few maytag powered rotary mowers that pre-date WWII.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Hi Doug

I found this thru a google search. I have a Power Pak engine that someone bolted a rewind starter to the top grill. If you still have the engines described below, I would like to try to acquire another grill and the rope sheave that attached to the flywheel. I hope you can help.

Thanks
Bob Grubb (Mercguy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ourada View Post
I have to propulsion engines. The two I have match your description one of them the crankshaft was torched off -probably when it was removed from the mower and the other engine is missing the carb. I hope to be able to make one out of the two but it's low on the project list. If you find any other info I'd love to get a copy. Thanks

Doug