Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Need help with Briggs Pulsa-jet carb

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 5551 times

Old 03-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Subscriber

Liked 596 Times in 190 Posts
Default Need help with Briggs Pulsa-jet carb

I'm cleaning/rebuilding a pulsa-jet carb from a vertical shaft Briggs engine. Unfortunately I don't know the model, shroud was missing from engine. It's probably a 3.5 hp. It's on a Huffy model 4846 Rider Mower.

Question 1: See picture. The instructions say: "remove fuel pump cover". What I need to know is what to do about the rolled pin (arrow) holding one end of the cover.

Question 2: Foley Belsaw sells three different rebuild kits (early, later, latest pulsa-jet). I suspect what I have is a "later" carb. Can anyone tell me if this is so?

Question 3: Does the rebuild kit come with a new diaphram or do I have to buy that seperately?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
carb3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Registered-II

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Need help with Briggs Pulsa-jet carb

This carburetor is from a 4hp or 5hp vertical shaft engine (100000) or (130000). The 4hp is 2 1/2 x 2 1/8 bore/stroke and the 5hp is 2 9/16 x 2 7/16 bore/stroke.

Don't worry about the roll pin. It stays in place. It's function is simply to align the cover and diaphragm. The four screws actually secure the cover.

Any rebuild kit should include the diaphragm, spring, and spring-shim as this is key to any rebuild. Usually the most basic kit will have only the diaphragm while a more complete one could include fuel pickup tubes, main jet, and adjusting needles.

The reason Foley is listing several variations is because you are trying to get a 3 1/2hp kit and Briggs had several variations of the Pulsajet for the 3 - 3 1/2 - 4hp (82000 and 92000) engines. The 4hp and 5hp (100000 and 1300000) use the same kit for both vertical and horizontal. Diaphragms were the same as were other parts. Only carburetor casting differed, from horizontal to vertical shaft engines
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Subscriber

Liked 596 Times in 190 Posts
Default Re: Need help with Briggs Pulsa-jet carb

Thanks, Manioso.

I was going by the old Huffy Fairlane literature on the size of the engine. My engine doesn't look like a replacement so I guess they used larger engines, too, maybe a later model than I initially thought.

As far as the Foley kits, I wasn't looking for a kit for any specific engine I just saw those three kits listed in their catalog. They cost less than $6.00 each maybe I'll just buy one of each!