Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Madison Kipp Lubricator Co. cams?

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3196 times

Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
RIRR

Default Madison Kipp Lubricator Co. cams?

I was wondering if anybody knows where you can get some pot metal cams for the Madison Kipp Lubricator. The #'s are 712and 7-32 on the Right side.
713 and 7-32 on the Left side. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,937 Times in 2,541 Posts
Default Re: Madison Kipp Lubricator Co. cams?

Either look on eBay for a used unit, and salvage parts, or look up Hart Parr tractor web site by Dave Preuhs. He has M-K parts, and rebuilds them. From the numbers, this is a model 50 - correct? Here is the site -
HTTP://WWW,geocities.com/hartparrtractors/kipp.html
Andrew
Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
RIRR

Thanks but the website did not work.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 AM
RIRR

Yes this is a model 50
Old 04-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Madison Kipp Lubricator Co. cams?

Call Roger Oliver @ 515-231-2500 (cell) or 515-382-5646 (work) he is making new ones out of cast nylon. I bought his first set of 6 several months ago and they work great. If I remember about $35.00 per set of two.....Ed
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,875 Times in 261 Posts

Here is the correct address to the MK page of my site. http://www.geocities.com/hartparrtractors/kipp.html a comma was put in by mistake on the Andrews post. I believe Roger Oliver gets $55 per eccentric as I just got an email from him last week. If they hold up over long term it will be a great way to re-new your old oiler.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Subscriber

This is a little off subject. Can a model 50 be converted from left hand ratchet feed to right hand ratchet feed ?? Kevin
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,890 Times in 615 Posts

I will tell averyone that needs parts/repaires for M/K oilers you should not want to let the chance to let Mr. Dave Preuhs help you go by. He just repaired a M/K 50 oiler for our club and the work was excelent and at a fair price. Thanks again Mr. Dave. How was the trip to the warmer climate? Jeff
Old 04-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,875 Times in 261 Posts

Hey Jeff, thanks for the kind words and sure hope the old FM 60 hp works with the old cotton ginny. Had a great time in the warmer climate but no old tractors or engines. Always glad to get home and get back to work.
Dave
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 AM
RIRR

Thanks everybody for the great infomation
Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 691 Posts

We have scanned manuals for the Madison-Kipp Model FD oiler and the Model 50 also.

The Model FD manual is up and running at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...l/Madison1.htm

The Model 50 manual I have to write some pages for but hope to have it working over the weekend.

Setting up and servicing instructions are included as is an illustrated parts list.

These were in the back of some Fairbanks-Morse and Buckeye engine manuals that we have here, so probably of use to those with the big engines as well as the smaller stuff. If we get time we will try and scan them to a larger scale so they are a bit clearer maybe.

Peter
Old 04-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,937 Times in 2,541 Posts
Exclamation Re: Madison Kipp Lubricator Co. cams?

Someone has been selling a lot of model 50 booklet-manuals on eBay recently. I recently picked up one for $8.50. It looks like an original.

There are several versions of the model 50. When I rebuilt the 4 post oiler on my Charter - Mietz, the pumps had cast iron bodies. The 2 parts units I bought to repair it, had aluminum bodies. Although the parts of the pumps themselves may be slightly different, the pumps themselves switched out prefectly. As the zinc alloy eccentric cams had seized within the piston connecting rods (and still are!) I replaced the entire pumping assemblies (all 4 of them). As earlier posted, Dave was a great help.in my restoration work, on my M-K oiler, MY most sincere thanks to you If you are not familiar with the internals of the model 50, let a professional like Dave repair it for you. I bet it had taken me all of 30 hours, to disassemble, renew parts, and re-assemble the oiler mechanism, (I am very mechanically inclined)and when it came time to re-aassemble, you will need a friend or 2 to put it together, or it will drive you bonkers There are a lot of quirks within these units.
Andrew
Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered-III

Aloha Peter/ListerDiesel,

Earlier in this old listing I see you indicating that a manual for the Madison Kipp Model FD lubricator is up on the web. However, the link doesn't work for me.

Can you get me pointed in the right direction??

I think I have one on a 1929 Fairbanks Morse 2 Cyl 30 HP Model 43. Getting my hands on the manual may let me confirm or refute my "think", and on the money may help me get it back into service without messing it up.

Mahalo,
Chuck
Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Subscriber

The problem is the pot metal acutally expands. Years ago, I was working on a lubricator where all the cams were in good shape, but very stuck in the the follower rings. I heated the steel ring all the way around with a brazing tip on oxy and acet until a bubble of the pot metal would come out of the cam. After cooling, I tapped the cam out with a driver I made. After removal, the cams had to be sanded a lot with emery cloth to make them smaller to fit freely in the ring. I was able to get all six apart and the lubricator is still working to this day.