Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Black & Decker Super-Service Valve Refacer

Hi, I was at my local scrap yard today cashing in some scrap aluminum and some other metals. And I...

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 26184 times

Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Black & Decker Super-Service Valve Refacer

There are similarities, aren't there. Those Belden cord ends are re-useable if you can find the wire and the time to unsolder and resolder the blades. I re-used mine and brought out the green ground pigtails, where applicable, and swaged on a prong wire end. I also put new vibration isolation mounts under the stone drive motor.

Believe it or not, mine was quite a mess when I got it and I spent hours with it on a drip tray while I went after it with a little mineral spirits and a paint brush. I keep it lightly oiled and a bedsheet on it now.

The last pic shows a bunch of bits and pieces. The bottom item is the stone dresser assembly for my unit. The other items came from a totally different place with no refacer to be found and likely were from someone else's refacer of a different manufacturer because they don't fit on mine, as far as I can ascertain, and the painted item is a different color. I bought 'em just in case thet did fit mine and so they weren't thrown out. Good tradin' stock!

I have the guard cover removed from the re-facer grindstone. B & D made a gazillion of these things.

That is a lousy view of the stone dresser, isn't it? I need to get a few stones socked away.

The really sweet setup has the refacer sitting on a factory bench cabinet which is filled with a matching seat grinder set and lots of gingerbread. I have a Sioux seat grinder in an orange metal box, sitting on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
harry 002.jpg   harry 001.jpg   harry 003.jpg   harry 004.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Registered-III

Jonathan,
I have a Black & Decker manual which describes the principles of valve & valve seat reconditioning. The first printing was April , 1939. The one I have is the twenty-fifth printing dated August, 1963. It consists of twenty four (24) pages. It does have the specifications for the 550 (Cat No.). It covers general intructions for both the valve facer and the valve seat grinder.
Since I don't have the means at home to copy the manual, I would have to take it to a print shop to get copies.
There is manual for the Black & Decker on eBay. See- http://ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Decker-Valve-Grinder-Manual-Seat-Refacer
This eBay manual seems to have more detail than the manual that I have.
Here another web site that also has a manual - http://www.beautomotivemachine.com/s...--Black/Detail
I have the same Black & Decker model number that is shown on the front of latter manual.
If you think you can use a copy of my manual, I will get one for you.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered-III

Anyone by chance have a manual for the B&D master valve refacer......the one I have is gold colored.

Brian
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered-II

I have the biggest one they make best thing i ever got and at the best price free the guy said the motor was burnt out on it and all it needed was a new belt
Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Subscriber

If anyone does have a manual I'd sure like to buy a copy. Also, if anyone needs a Merc-O-Tronics 98 manual, I have it on CD and will be glad to send you a copy.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Registered

I am looking for the manual for a Black and Decker 6305 Grinder as well as a little rubber elbow piece for the pump inlet on the suction side of the pump into the drain reservoir. Any ideas on how to fix this or where to buy a part for it are really appreciated.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered-II

Hey Jonathan,
Looks pretty old but did you check with Goodson about the manual? Think I got mine there. Also, the tray is like a sectioned-off drawer that hold the oil. pretty easy to make if needed
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Kid,
I have a black and decker machine that is missing the stone dresser. You show a picture of several Valve refacer stone dressers. The second one down on the left is the stone dresser for my machine. Do you still have it? If so, would you want to sell it?

Please let me know either way. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered-II

Here are some pictures of the one I was given at the weekend. I need to put the belts back on and renew the wire as it is perished, I also have the seat cutting tool, I will have to buy a manual, I have seen one but I want to make sure it is correct for this model first .
Attached Thumbnails
valve grinder 001.jpg   valve grinder 002.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to neville bond:
Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Hi There! I realize this is an old thread. I also have a B & D 282/550 I'm wondering if anyone has one of the original stone dressers maybe for sale but I'd copy and make one if thats not possible. there's one for sale at beam but it doesn't appear to be correct for my machine, it may be for the later ones that have the mount blocked off. It mentions drilling a hole in the motor case? is anyone familiar with this?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts

here are 2 that I have and both need the stone dressers also old b&d and a hall .... even a good picture will help....
Attached Thumbnails
aa valve grinders 006.jpg   aa valve grinders 007.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts

the hall pic wont load
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered-I

Hi guys. I worked in a G M dealership over 60 years ago and used a B and D valve grinder . It seems to me that the stone refacer had a stem that went in the chuck and had a support that sat on the round nut where the cuck thing swivled. It would be easy to make. I have a black and decor valve Ginder that needs a motor , anybody know what RPM the stone is suppose to turn. Thanks. Bill H.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered-I

I guess I'm not alone here, been looking for that stone dresser attachment for my B&D super since I got over a year ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorMike: