Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

David Bradley Grinder

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 5195 times

Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered-III

Cool David Bradley Grinder

Hey guys;

This weekend, I finally got the chance to hook up my David Bradley feed grinder to my engines and grind some corn for the first time since i restored it. I was surprised at how hard it worked my engines. My 2hp engine would not pull it...just bog down and die. I switched to my 2-1/4 hp which worked under steady load, hitting almost every time. I went back and found an original ad for this grinder and it states that only 1 hp is required to run it. This got me thinking that possibly i was trying to grind cornmeal with a set of coarse plates in the mill. This would mean that I would have to find a set of fine plates in order to do cornmeal. Does anybody know if the replacement plates from C.S. Bell Co. will work in a David Bradley "Little Wonder" feed grinder? That, or does anybody have a set of fine grinding plates they would be willing to part with? Thanks!

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: David Bradley Grinder

Jebaroni:
How fine are you trying to grind? Our small Stover Mill will not grind corn very fine the first time through, must crack it first, then tighten down and run thriugh again. Sometimes 3 or 4 times to make meal. For bird food, all you have to do is crack it anyway! Shouldn't use corn meal ground with steel plates for human use anyway.
Ray
Old 05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered-III

I understand what you are saying. I ran a water powered grist mill with 4 1/2 foot diameter stones in college for 3 years, now volunteer at a dutch windmill with 5' stones so I do know a little about milling. I never intend to sell anything out of this mill for human consumption. Mostly chicken feed. However, a co-worker asked for some corn meal to sprinkle in his pond because he read that it will help keep down duckweed. I figured i'd give it a try. I thought the burrs looked relatively fine, but then again I never saw what another set looked like to compare to. I have a feeling I may just have medium plates, but would like "fine" or "extra fine" if possible. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered-III

According to my 1938 Sears Catalog, the David Bradley 5 1/2" Small Gtrain Grinder sold for $11.50 and was shipped with one set of coarse and one set of fine burrs. They didn't list a medium set in the replacement burrs listed for $.85 a set! Says it should run at 700 to 800 rpm. Pulley size on most smaller engines won't allow that, but a 2 or 2 1/2 might have a large enough pulley to get close.

Ray
Old 05-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Registered-III

Where did you go to collage Jebaroni? "Hard work U" (collage of the Ozarks) they have a mill like that.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered-III

Nope, I went to NCSU. While enrolled there, I worked for 3 years in a city park primarily employed in the service of running a water powered grist mill. I had procured the David Bradley mill at a tractor show last summer, and now in Iowa, I volunteer on the weekends at a fully functional Dutch Windmill (the largest in the US). Needless to say, I enjoy grinding!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Registered-II

I just got a david bradley corn grinder as well as a 2 hp dishpan FM engine....if you have any info on what the feed chute attached to the eccentric drive rod looks like i would love to see them...was there just a trough or was there a separator attached to it.

In regards to your bogging down, most grinders have a tough time with corn but if you adjust the FEED rate they should handle the corn well. I have a b50 cs bell grinder and it needs a slow feed to work or it too will bog down and stop. Corn is just tough stuff. I have a 1 1/2 stover economy driving that one and usually what will happen is that even though the engine can handle the load, the belt invariably slips off the pulleys when too much load (ie. too fast a feed) hits it. Ideally you don't want too much tension on the belt anyway since this wears the babbets excessively so tightening up the belts a lot is not a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_0017.JPG  
Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered-III

I'm going to put up a couple pictures of my grinder with the reproduction sifter that I made for it, along with some pictures of an original sifter and a scanned image from the 1929 Sears catalogue showing the sifter. Basically, just a wooden 2-piece sifter tray witha piece of sheet metal at the end to attach to the shaker bar that runs through the frame of the grinder itself. I sure do wish I had the little wrench for the lock nut on the grinder adjustment wheel and an original pulley for mine....I still think I got taken for it at the show where I bought it (paid $175 for it, yet only paid $50 for my Letz grinder and $75 for the McCormick-Deering! Oh well, live and learn.).

Jeb

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v44/jebaroni/
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered-II

Hay Jeb: who's the gal driving the ford? The pic. with the buz saw looks very familiar to me, taken at our show in Goldsboro NC.how's the wether out your way? I sure would like to take a tour of the wind powered mill.
One of our club members has david bradley mill like yours,he has to grind the corn several times to get it fine like corn meal,pulling it with a 1 1/2 hp econ.
Keep us in mind when the snow comes your way.Take care & happy grinding.
Jerry McGinnis
Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered-III

Jerry, my man! Funny you should pop up. I lost my job at Vermeer back in September but now have a new job at NACCO (makers of Yale and Hyster forklifts) in Greenville, NC!!! Looks like i'm moving back into the old neighborhood!

The girl on the tractor is my sister. And you are correct, the pic of the tractor with the saw on the back was taken at your show. That was the first show I ever exhibited my tractor at. The next picture (in front of the warehouse) was taken in front of one of the storage buildings at Long's (now Farmtrac) in Tarboro. So, keep in touch. Looks like i'll be joining you guys for the 2007 show!

Jeb
Old 11-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,794 Times in 592 Posts

Jeb, Did you ever hear how the corm meal and the duck weed got along? I too have a duck weed problem. Thanks jeff
Old 11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered-III

Y'know, I never did hear back the results from that experiment. I could try to get ahold of the guy but it would be rather difficult to do since I am no longer employed there and can't really remember his last name. A buddy of mine may be able to find out for me, though. I wonder if there are any articles about it on the internet as the man said he learned of this through an article somewhere???

Jeb
Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered-III

Ray,
Do you have a picture or scan of that sears catalog? I too have a grinder identical to those shown and would like to learn some about it. Also since it has no original paint, I would like to repaint it but I don't know what would be "correct". I was thinking maybe a dark red and yellow stripes? Mine must have the fine burrs because we had no problem making corn meal with it. I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Subscriber

Lightbulb Re: David Bradley Grinder

Hey Jeb,

Nacco is one of my Customers so it is a small world. I ship various parts to the Greenville, NC and Sulligent, AL manufacturing plants.

I never had the pleasure of meeting you when you lived in NC before so I hope to meet you once you move back. I also like to grind with my various mills. See you next show season!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Registered-III

Ssmith;

I have seen the DB grinders painted two different ways. About half of them are a forest green color and the other half are red. The David Bradley colors used on their garden tractors were red and a strange, funky off-green that seems different from the shade I found on my grinder. There was a decal on the front of the hopper which looks like a first place ribbon seal, with a belt and buckle around the inside that says "David Bradley Plow and Implement Company" around the belt and inside the seal it says "Makers of RELIABLE PLOWS, CULTIVATORS, and PLANTERS". The seal is about 2 1/4" in diameter.

It also seems that most all of the DB mills i have seen seem to have the same plates in the which I assume to be the fine plates.

Tony;

I should be moving in during the first week in December. Anytime you feel like swinging by you are more than welcome. Whereabouts is Rockwell, NC? Also, after seeing one for sale on eBay and one or two at some tractor shows, would you happen to know anybody with a Kelly Duplex mill they might be willing to part with? I swear it won't be too long before i'll have a whole collection of just feed grinders! Next comes Stone mills like Meadows, Williams, and New South mills!

Jeb
Old 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered-III

I got a video put up of us guys grinding corn. Its not a good video, but its there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEb9a3yXTZw
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered-III

Looks like i'm going to have to get the mag fixed on my 2 1/2 hp alamo and try hooking it up to the grinder and seeing what she'll do. The grinder just about stalled my 2hp Taylor and made the 2 1/4 Associated nearly hit every time (could use a head gasket, though). I'm still thinking i'd like to try a larger pulley on the engine to get the flywheel on the grinder up to speed. Thanks for sharing the video!

Jeb
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Sponsor

Jeb

Was that the windmill we saw right along The Mississippi last month will we were on a little crusie?

Joe B
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
In Memory Of

Jeb;

I have watched this thread with interest. Mills have fascinated me for years and I have been to the one at the School Of The Ozarks. It is an over shot water wheel powered, but most of the time they power it with electric motors and grind flower and meal for sale, or at least they did when my daughter went there to see if she wanted to attend. If you are in that "neck of the woods" it would be worth your time to visit the school. They have one of the best museums for antique guns "for miles around". Since I made flint lock rifles and shot in muzzle loading competion for about 20 years, I was realy impressed with the quality of the guns and the number of old flint lock, percussion, and I think they even had several examples of wheel lock guns.

They also taught weaving and had several examples of multi hettle lums that the students used in their classes.

My daughter chose not to attend there, but it was a trip well worth the time and energy we spent. If interested, here's a link to the school, again I'm not a member of the school board and have no connection to them, but I truly loved the visit.
http://www.cofo.edu/visitorInfo.asp?page=10

I was a member of: The International Molinological Society. This is a group that is in the "business" of preserving old mills world wide. While a member my brother-in-law and I took a tour of mills in central Missouri. It's been several years since we did that so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think we visited about eight mills over the two day week end. Most were powered by a water turbin --- very interesting as well.

I'm not going to bore you with any details about that tour, but while eating breakfast at the Motel restaurant, we over heard folks at the next table talking about a "Dutch style" windmill at Golden Illinois. After breakfast we introduced ourselves and since I live fairly close to Golden, we made plans to visit their windmill after the tour was over.

We did just that, several months later and the folks in Golden have spent a lot of time and money on the resturation of the old mill. If you are in the area around Quincy Illinois, it's just a short drive to Golden and the old mill. [disclaimer] I'm not, nor have I ever been a member of their chamber of commerce.
http://www.goldenwindmill.org/tours/tours.htm

Sorry to digress so far from the topic, but after reading all the posts, it inspired me to contribute and share some of my interestes in "Milling".

I sold the little burr mill that I used with my Delco-Light display. I was getting too much "stuff" to load and unload at the shows.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered-III

Joe, the windmill where I have been working is based in Pella, Iowa, which is a couple hours inland from the Iowa border.

Don;

I have heard of TIMS but never did get involved with them. I had a subscription for a while with SPOOM (Society for Preservation Of Old Mills) and I enjoyed that quite a bit. You can also check out www.gristmillers.com for those more interested in the smaller mills like the Meadows, Williams, David Bradley, Kelly Duplex, Stover, Challenge, Appleton, etc sized mills.

Someone a while back sent me a link to the College of the Ozarks and I checked it out. Seemed like a very interesting place where you can work to help subsidize your education. The windmill where I have been working is the tallest in the country at 124' from ground to top of the top sail and has a 41' blade length or 82' diameter circle. A couple weeks ago, I set a record at the mill by grinding 480 lbs of flour in 20-25 minutes. That's almost 1200 lbs/hr using only wind power! Very interesting.

The water powered mill where I used to work didn't have much head of water so they used an 8' diameter wheel that was 12' wide. It was overshot style. I don't much care for the turbines as there isn't much to see and they use up a bunch of water whereas the waterwheels are more conservative and interesting to look at and listen to. Someday i'll have my own gristmill with a meadows mill and corn sheller and all that good stuff powered by a Reid or other large engine. It'll take a long time to get there, but someday I will!

Thanks for everybody's interest!

Jeb